Monday, September 11, 2023

Have I Forgotten?

The National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial is seen on the 19th anniversary of the Sept. 11th terrorist attacks, Washington, D.C., Sept. 11, 2020.
(DoD photo by Lisa Ferdinando)
No, I have not.

I gave some thought Sunday to having juvat move his regular post to Tuesday, but Mondays suck enough without depriving the readers of juvat's musings. Which I also enjoy. Then again, I wasn't really ready to write about this date on Sunday. Though it's been 22 years, the memory of this particular event remains raw, an open wound on my psyche. I think of that day often. (I talked a bit about that here.)

I thought about waiting until tomorrow to post this, but no, it has to be done today. Not to overshadow juvat, but it is 9-11. For some of us, that happened yesterday. (Especially when you have a child who was commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy in the spring of 2001. War is much more immediate. I'd rather go myself than send any of my kids.)

While looking around for remembrances of this day, I saw these posts: one by my friend and colleague, HMS Defiant, another by my sister-in-arms, Zendo Deb, and this last one from ABC News, which rather stunned me, but it shouldn't have.

- Forty percent of those who died at the World Trade Center -- 1,104 victims -- remain unidentified.

Considering the scale of the destruction, I suppose that shouldn't have shocked me. But it did.

As to the posts from my friends noted above, I agree with everything said therein. We are ill-served by those who run the government. We have been for quite some time.


I've visited that memorial at the Pentagon, wrote about it here, see that name on the bench in the opening photo? Another reason why I'll never forget, never forgive.

IT2 Kris Romeo Bishundat, USN

(Source, both photos)

Go read about IT2 Bishundat at that source.

We often forget, these were not just names, they were real people, with real lives. Their future ended on this day, 22 years ago.

Never forget ...

I won't.



20 comments:

  1. And the deaths from 9/11 keep coming every year, from loss of mind to illnesses caused by the Pile and the cleanup at the Pentagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, first responders are still dying from stuff they were in contact with during that time.

      Delete
    2. So are construction workers and people who lived in the area and were subject to breathing the dust.

      Delete
  2. https://forums.sassnet.com/uploads/monthly_2023_09/FB_IMG_1694449422464.jpg.2e21cb40527f6835c418300a11a381b9.jpg

    https://forums.sassnet.com/uploads/monthly_2023_09/Screen-Shot-2022-07-04-at-9_54.22-AM.jpeg.f40c54b8a80ace57b00fa1b605604e96.jpeg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry Getzfred, Jack Punches, Joe Pycior- NCC in the Pentagon. I WILL NOT FORGET.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never forget. Never.
    Never forgive, either.

    We have paid a very heavy price, far beyond the direct victims of the attacks, and the subsequent health issues.
    Our lost sons and daughters, sacrificed in the fool's mission of trying to placate and civilized a culture opposed to modernity and obsessed with hatred of infidels, bought us little in return. The trillions of dollars wasted bought nothing either, although that is merely printed paper, not the blood of our citizens.

    I pray we have learned that engaging in "forever wars" far from home with vague missions and weak connection to any vital U.S. national interest are to be avoided, no matter the outcry about how some people somewhere are being oppressed. Sorry, we are not, and cannot be, the world's policeman and provider of relief for every calamity devastating humanity. We have an existential crisis right here in our homeland, and need to reflect deeply today on our role in the world, and what is possible and what is folly.

    Never forget. And, never forget the lessons we should have learned post- attack.
    John Blackshoe
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we are to send our troops anywhere, let us first give them the orders, the tools and the support to allow them to succeed.

      Delete
    2. BadFrog - Need clear objectives, a doable mission statement and when the job's done, we bring everyone home.

      Delete
  5. I wondered, Sarge (much as I enjoy Juvat's weekly updates as well).

    Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. May we never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will ALWAYS remember. The Pentagon was "my" 9/11. I'd been stashed there awaiting the start of my training pipeline and lived just over the hill. I was at home doing language homework when a neighbor pounded on my door; plane crash WTC NYC! Cessna? The second plane told the tale.
    It really sucks to be on Active Duty when your country is attacked and having NO idea where or whom to report to. I had no idea who "owned" me; DLI? Turns out they were my "owner" when they called a few days later to see if I was alive.
    Older son thought I was still in the building.
    I've written elsewhere about the rest of that day; no need to do it here.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.