Monday, October 31, 2016

Behold the Power of the Chant!

So, last week I posted a bit of a rant about TXDOT and the highway improvement project that runs from where I turn on to that highway until just prior to where I turn off that highway on my way to work.  A distance of about 7 miles.  Prior to the project, that stretch would take me maybe 10 minutes door to door.  With the project at times, it's taken almost an hour.  Numerous single lane traffic detours on a well traveled 4 lane highway.  Planning?  Thy name certainly isn't TXDOT.

In any case, my chief gripe there is a sign that says "Expect Delays" then "8AM to 5PM".


Liars!

I've been stopped at 7:30 AM and 6:30PM, waiting for the one lane and pilot car to change direction to the way I'm headed. That event  can take 15 to 20 minutes as the pilot car, regardless of circumstances, rarely exceeds 30 MPH and certainly not 45.

So, my gripe was "if you're going to work 7AM to 7PM, make the sign read 7 AM to 7 PM"

Behold the Power of the Chant!
Wait for it!



Don't know if that's an improvement but it certainly proves the adage "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it."

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The working title for the post was "Behold the Power of Old Sarge!" Decided I didn't want to be accused of rampant ageism, so changed it at the last moment.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you should have complained about the time and pushed construction to 9:00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been pushing my luck instead, I think.

      Delete
  3. We now return you to your regularly schedule programming. Major north/south highway (US 220) here in NC, has been torn up for the past 4 years while undergoing a major upgrade to 4 lanes. These guys even work on Saturday!! I take the back country roads to avoid. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, the transcontinental railroad only took 6 years, but that was privately funded. Re: work on Saturday. Do you mean "WORK" on Saturday or "Clocked in" on Saturday? The view of the roadwork here is it's the latter.

      Delete
  4. Juvat, do please write a post about the upcoming Election and HRC in prison orange. V/R, a Fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I thought that would work........Believe me!

      Delete
  5. I was following a line of cars following a pilot-car-follow-me, when the pilot car suddenly pulled over and the lady jumped out and ran into the port-o-potty. We all waited patiently for her to do her business and then she came running out and off we went. It was nothing like your delay, but it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how I'd have reacted at that. Might just have left her behind.

      Delete
  6. Heh... Hoist on your own petard eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, ooh, an idea for a post! (As to the "ooh, ooh" - think Car 54, Where Are You?, Officer Toody specifically.)

      Delete
    2. Happens frequently, I'm afraid.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.