Saturday, October 29, 2016

Duty. Honor. Country.

(Source)
I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense. 
I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to resist. 
If I am captured I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither parole nor special favors from the enemy. 
If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I will give no information or take part in any action which might be harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back them up in every way. 
When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause. 
I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America. Code of Conduct of the U.S. Armed Forces
A long, long time ago I first raised my right hand and swore the following oath -
I, Christopher Allen Goodrich, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
I stayed true to that oath in the years that followed, nothing has changed which would make me violate that oath. Ever. I am still in the pay of the United States Air Force and still consider myself a Master Sergeant in that service, albeit retired. Nevertheless, I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States until I no longer draw breath. I will obey my oath. The entire oath, not just the parts I like.

I will defend my family to the death, I will love my God, I will pay my taxes, and I will do my utmost to keep myself informed of the important issues of the day so that I might more efficiently and loyally perform my duty as an American citizen.

It is a duty, one I hold sacred and close to my heart.
America, The Beautiful

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet,
Whose stern, impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!
Carry on.



10 comments:

  1. God Saturday post. I'm with you all the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and carry out the Plan Of The Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duty. Honor. Country.
    The recurring them of General Douglas MacArhtur's speech at West Point, 12 May 1962. Although Army-centric in content the words apply every bit as well to anyone who wears our country's uniforms.
    http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/douglasmacarthurthayeraward.html for the full text. They also have a link to the audio there http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/speeches/douglasmacarthurthayeraward.mp3

    It was published in full in Life Magazine at the time, and I had a copy taped up in my college dorm, albeit a lowly inactive reserve E-1 at the time. Inspiring words, and unmistakable clarity between right and wrong.

    Read it, listen to it. Live it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, possibly one of your best.

    Now the I've seen you post your name, may I call you by that instead of your blog name? If so, which do you prefer, Chris or Christopher?

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Now the I've seen you...". That was, of course, supposed to be " Now that I've seen you...".

    One would think that a former editor would be better at proofreading.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ColoComment has hinted that Blogger will force a misspelling/typo now and again.

      Hey, anything's possible.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.