Sunday, October 9, 2016

Random Synapses Firing*...

A Foggy Day in Bristol Town
That photo above was taken Friday morning. Three things are worthy of note:
  1. In the middle distance you can see the stump of what was my favorite tree, now long gone.
  2. Just past the oval garden with all the topiary is a patch of green surrounded by rocks. Which, until Thursday, contained a very dead decorative plum tree. Yup, another one down. This one died in the late spring, The Missus Herself waited to take it down until the weather had cooled off. Which it has, though it's still nice during the day.
  3. The fog.
It's been pretty foggy in the mornings lately. Driving over the Mount Hope bridge on the way to work in the mornings has been pretty spectacular. Fog to my right towards the Atlantic and fog to my left over the Sakonnet River with the sun backlighting** the fog. If I didn't have to drive, and if it wasn't illegal to stop on the bridge, I'd take a photo. But trust me, it looks awesome.

In fact, the amount of moisture in the air makes it look as if it rained overnight if you go by the drops of water attached to the window screens.

Yes, I am saddened by the loss of yet another tree. But The Missus Herself has wanted to cut that one down for years, too close to the power lines. The tree was half dead last year and gave up the ghost this past spring. Bummer.

Saw these out in front of Chili's on Friday (where we went to eat after my doctor's appointment, I was still itchy-legged and suffering from "my face is melting" syndrome, so food was a good idea. At least in my head it was. Oh yeah, get the loaded prime rib burrito, quite good).



Apparently these are called cock's comb (scientific name celosia plumosa) and are quite breathtaking in person. So I snapped a shot with the cell phone, because I knew you want to see them. (Also I can then look at them later without having to dig the phone out.)

Anyhoo, that's all I've got. I'm tired and grumbling about everything. Politics is really getting depressing. It's getting nasty and I fear it will get worst. So I avoid it. I'm keeping my head down until it's over. Then we can all throw accusations at each other.

Or we can stifle the political nonsense and go back to being Americans. We shall see.

Oh, want to see an interesting film about a little known incident involving the Irish Army? Then watch The Siege of Jadotville on Netflix. Or look it up online. I might have a post on this next week. It's worth your time.

Misty Morning





*Avec un clin d'œil au Capitaine.
** I swear, Google has the vocabulary of a not very bright ten-year old. If I use a word with more than two syllables Google says I spelled it wrong. So I look it up, and it's valid. 99% of the time. I could ignore it but it would drive me batshit crazy.

18 comments:

  1. Coming home from work Friday, my highly accurate truck thermometer read 65. Same time the day before 90. Must be Septober. Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to plant replacements? A sequoia, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A giant sequoia would be awesome. I'd just be concerned about the roots getting into the basement.

      ;)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful yard. Must be a treat for the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous gardens. It is very sad when a tree or long-time planting dies. It's that circle of life thing; refresh the soil and start anew next year. We had our entire front garden dug out this past spring and have left it unplanted all year; it's now filled with Winter Rye Grass which will be tilled into the soil next spring. Then we shall plant again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting it lie fallow is a good idea. Renews the nutrients in the soil.

      Or so my farmer friends tell me.

      Delete
    2. 4 year crop rotation! Corn, small grains, pasture, fallow. Most people only use 3 year, skipping the fallow.

      Delete
  5. I am offended by the name of your plant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the tree trimmer in to deal with the giant trees in the back yard. We have no intention of taking them down if we can avoid it. That said, it was so windy here last night it blew out one of the window panes in my 3rd floor study. Didn't expect that but found it in the driveway this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty windy!

      I suppose if one can keep the trees healthy that's a better alternative. Both of the ones we lost this year had some sort of rot setting in. Sucks but for everything there is a season.

      Delete
  7. I really, really like your Dr. Suess tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it here.

      I like it there.

      In fact...

      I'd probably like it anywhere.

      ;)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.