Monday, April 22, 2013

Sur la Route, à Nouveau...


In August of last year, I returned from exile.


In January of 2010, due to a lack of work at the home office, I was "loaned out" to another of my company's facilities. About a hundred miles from home. Required staying in a hotel, long days while "on station" and a long drive to get on and off station. But it beat the alternative. I was still getting paid every other week. Some of my colleagues weren't as fortunate.

They were invited to seek employment "elsewhere".

That year "on loan" turned into two years, seven months and two weeks. Ballpark. Not that I was counting. It is what it is.

So in August of last year, a project opened up at the home facility and I was lucky enough to get on that project. I'm still on that project. Problem is, my part of the project has moved (this was planned, sort of) and now I need to travel again. Back to where I was. Sort of.

The place I need to go now is roughly five mile from the place I used to travel to. Same neighborhood in a sense. Upside is, I'll be staying in the same hotel I used to stay in. Most of the staff there know me, I know them. It's a nice place, they're nice people. I am looking forward to seeing them again.

There is another upside here, in that this traveling road show will only be for a few weeks. So I'm told.

But I've heard that song before.

Not holding my breath as to the duration of this assignment, but I foresee it being fairly short. It's also going to cut into my blogging time. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Your mileage may vary.

I shall keep you all (ahem) posted...

12 comments:

  1. Bein' a Road Warrior ain't NEAR as much fun as people who don't do it think it is. But it's a paycheck, right?

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be of fairly short duration.

      (Of course, I've said that before!)

      Delete
  2. Sucks, but it does beat the alternative. Even as an AF guy I guess you never get used to puulling up roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry..I couldn't help it.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mckg0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song runs through my head every time I head north.

      Delete
  4. The best part of being retired from the Navy is that I can say I'm home nearly every night. I'm sorry you haven't always been able to say the same thing. But look at the bright side- all those Marriott Rewards points!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the points. I'd forgotten the points. Good (ahem) point Tuna.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.