Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Old Dog, New Tricks

VFA-2 CAG Bird back when the Bullets were on the LINCOLN
(US Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Tyler J. Clements)
So Juvat has clued me into a couple of neat little tricks whereby this old dog can ascertain the copyright status of certain select photographs upon this here web of world-wideness.

Using Bing Images or Google Images, there are certain things you can clicky-clicky on which open up a whole new world of which I was most certainly unawares. Now as a trained computer professional I am somewhat loathe to click on things at random. Call me untrusting, call me silly, but there it is. I'm not the type to play with the unknown. (Perhaps it's the old maintenance man buried deep inside me. No checklist? No touchee!)

Image Search à la Bing
Image Search à la Google

But as a good Master Sergeant, I know when to trust my officers. Juvat (a retired officer) told me about it, therefore it must be good.

Who knows, I may even resurrect the Friday Flyby. Once I get this new-fangled stuff figured out. While I don't plan on going back to being photo-heavy, I do miss the Flyby. Even if it is a lot of work. But for now...

"AIRMAN! Run and get me the checklist. Oh yeah, I'll need the vice grips and the rubber mallet as well. Don't ask. MOVE!"

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

U.S. Navy Lt. Laurie Canter signals off an F/A-18F Super Hornet aircraft assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 2 on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) in the Pacific Ocean May 6, 2013. The Ronald Reagan was underway conducting flight deck certifications and carrier qualifications.
(US Navy photo by 
MC3 Charles D. Gaddis IV)
Might as well throw a tank or two into the mix, Murphy likes those too!

M4 Sherman (early version)
(US Army photo)

German armored vehicles captured in Normandy. (Public Domain)

A U.S. Air Force McDonnell Douglas F-4D Phantom II aircraft of the New Jersey Air National Guard flying in close formation with a Royal Norwegian Air Force Northrop F-5A "Freedom Fighter" aircraft during exercise Coronet Rawhide on 1 September 1982.
(USAF Photo by SSgt. Marvin Lynchard)

What? Did you think I wasn't going to show a Phantom?

20 comments:

  1. You even found a picture of a tank that I like! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look specifically for wrecked enemy tanks, knowing that you like that kind of thing.

      (Still haven't found any pickup trucks with an AGM-65 through the hood. Still looking...)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I even learned something new myself! Thanks, and the return of the Flyby would be pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW, you were actually the catalyst in me figuring this out. You've got so many great pics on your site that I figured there had to be a way to filter a search without copyright pictures. A little Googling on Bing and voila'

      Delete
    2. Wait a minute Juvat...

      You were Googling on Bing? Is that even possible? That sounds chaotic!

      Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

      Delete
    3. Google as a verb has replace the verb search. Bing was the noun and the Search Engine.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Tanks, Phantoms, and a possible return of Friday Flyby! This day can't possibly get any better unless some hot chick rings the doorbell and tells me that she's looking for work as a live-in maid, cook, masseuse and dog-walker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the air force told me I would never fly for them because my vision had to b corrected.I took my flaw to another service that didn't care.I enjoyed 30 years of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three kids have corrected vision. When it came time for my son to pick a ROTC program (he was offered scholarships for Army, Air Force and Navy and was accepted at the Trade School on the Severn) he assumed that I would recommend my old service, the Air Force.

      I advised him "Join the Navy young man!" When he asked why, I pointed out that pilots run the Air Force, could he be a pilot? No, of course, was the answer. Wearing spectacles one could eventually command a fighting unit of the Navy. Not so in the USAF. (I only count flying units.)

      I was not so smart.

      The daughters followed their big brother's path.

      Delete
  5. Those are two pretty OLD dogs in that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to zoom out to see if there was a walker attached to the front of the jet.

      Delete
  6. The old ways are sometimes hard to beat. Bring back the Flyby, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am certainly leaning that way. It was always a fun post to put together.

      Delete
  7. Copyright status? I just flouted the rules anyway. It's a wonder I ever got promoted past Ensign. Nice post Sarge, and great Find Juvat! Now I won't be risking the legality of someone else's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the two 'old dogs' in the first photo. Two senior pilots getting in their required flying hours in order to maintain their flight status, maybe?

    And yes, the return of the Friday Flyby would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both men are senior Captains, the Deputy Commander and the Commander of the embarked Air Wing. (CAG at the time was a WSO, he's the guy in the back. DCAG was an aviator.)

      Flying is a young man's (woman's) game but you need a few "old heads" to show the young'uns how it's done.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.