Friday, November 17, 2017

For Those In Peril On The Sea

S-42 ARA San Juan
(Source)
She's a T-1700-Class submarine built by Thyssen Nordseewerke. As of late Friday she had not been heard from since Wednesday, the 15th of November. She was proceeding from Ushuaia, the capital of Tierra del Fuego, en route to the base at Mar del Plata. Last known position was approximately 270 miles off the Golfo San Jorge (the red diamond on the map.)


NASA just happened to have a P-3 Orion down in the area, she's involved in the search. Elements of the United States Navy are also en route to assist in the search.

But it's a long ways away...

NASA P-3B
(Source)
There are at least 44 submariners on board San Juan. Right now, as I write this and until they are safe, my prayers are with them, and their families.

God grant the search crews the eyes of eagles and the strength needed to fulfill their mission.

If you're a praying sort, now would be a good time to do so.

Thy sea, O God, so great,
My boat so small.
It cannot be that any happy fate
Will me befall
Save as Thy goodness opens paths for me
Through the consuming vastness of the sea.

Thy winds, O God, so strong,
So slight my sail.
How could I curb and bit them on the long
And saltry trail,
Unless Thy love were mightier than the wrath
Of all the tempests that beset my path?

Thy world, O God, so fierce,
And I so frail.
Yet, though its arrows threaten oft to pierce
My fragile mail,
Cities of refuge rise where dangers cease,
Sweet silences abound, and all is peace.

- Winfred Ernest Garrison
(Source)
Lord, have mercy...




14 comments:

  1. I "rode the boats " twenty odd years ago, yet only recently does stuff like this cause disturbed dreams. Prayers for the crew and their families. Thomas M. EM2(SS)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie Reynolds (doorkeeper)November 17, 2017 at 6:23 PM

    praying! thanks for bringing this to my attention so I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They that go down to the sea in ships,
    that do business in great waters;
    These see the works of the Lord,
    and his wonders in the deep.
    For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind,
    which lifteth up the waves thereof
    They mount up to the heaven,
    they go down again to the depths;
    their soul is melted because of trouble.
    They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man,
    and are at their wit's end.
    Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble,
    and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
    He maketh the storm a calm,
    so that the waves thereof are still.
    Then are they glad because they be quiet;
    so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.
    Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness,
    and for all his wonderful works to the children of men!

    Psalm 107

    The Silent Service, always since day 1 the deadliest service to its own. I pray that the boat is found and rescue be made. But I fear that that will not occur. Once comm is lost, the loss is certain. Please let me be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While fortunately rare, when this happens Submariners around the world lose our Nationalities and pray for our Brothers of the Dolphin and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.