Tuesday, October 29, 2019

When you've got nothing else, there's always a sunset or two.


Source: Airlinersdotnet  © Misha Popov
I feel sad for Sarge and his Clan du Départ.  I know he's grieving over a loss within his immediate family.  I offered my prayers, and I was sincere in that, yet I know a prayer or two won't take away any real hurt.  Unfortunately, only the usual remedy can allow a joyful spirit to re-emerge, that being time and the release through whatever emotional expressions might come their way.  I will sit outside in a while, watching whatever sunset comes my way tonight out here on the West Coast, and say another prayer for the Naviguesser, his family, and the other wonderful cast of characters within Sarge's extended household.





Contrails in the sunset













Sunset means an ending to one day, but that there's hope for the new one.  It’s the turning of a page. Like the metaphorical and psychological act of going through a some sort of door, but on a much larger scale. We can put the troubles of the day behind us and move on, perhaps even get some rest. 





It's a beautiful time of day, that starts when the sun sets and ends with the first stars coming out.  It's my favorite time, yet it’s not possible to fully describe the sense of wonder, awe, and especially the gratitude for being a part of such a miraculous experience.





If you're so moved, please keep the Clan du Sarge in your thoughts and help them soar.

Sarge, my best to all of you and I hope your sadness lifts soon and easily.

23 comments:

  1. When I read the post on Sunday, I sat there, stunned, with tears in my eyes, and a sense of loss in my heart. Not much to say.... Except I'm hurting with them..... And holding them up to the Almighty.

    Sunrises and sunsets (earth turns) were so brilliant when I was a kid. Living on the table top that is the caprock in the Texas panhandle offered views of unparalleled beauty from horizon to horizon. The flaming sunrise that heralded another day hauling hay in the heat, to an ever changing red sky as the sun sank in the west behind vast cotton fields.... Then the milky way rolling over in the blackness of night....

    When I think of those days of youthful awe, I remember my people.... They were a huge influence in my life. As memorable as the Texas sky.... I really glad I got to enjoy them.... the sky and the folks.

    Bittersweet memories, Tuna! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to the fires out here and the smoke that drifts, the sunsets have been spectacular- the sun has its own smokey filter. I have lived in San Diego for well over half my life at this point and never really paid attention to sunsets until one day on deployment. You can read about that at the end of this post: https://oldafsarge.blogspot.com/2015/03/boat-life.html

      Delete
  2. Just now learning of your important loss, Sarge.
    Prayers.

    ReplyDelete

  3. there is nothing that can match the majestic beauty of the rising, or setting sun to soothe a troubled heart. We are reminded that life is a cycle, and that as people we love and cherish are called home to God, the cycle must go on. Please join me in prayer for the entire family of Sarge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the colors of that first Pier picture, Tuna. Well done, (if you took the picture) or Nice Find! (if not). Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took both pictures- off the internet. I can only take credit for the ones out the airliner window and the one from the sailing ship. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I’m reminded of how much they look like sunrises.
    ~ Skip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've been around these parts for a while, I usually title these posts "Jets and Sunsets." I have almost surely posted sunrise pictures, but that doesn't rhyme as well!

      Delete
  6. Your sunset is someone else's sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Very good post, sir.

    2. Amazing the amount of flex in large planes' wings. The one photo of the large twin-engine against the setting sun was just breathtaking.

    3. People who willingly climb up on large objects, manmade or Godmade, are friggin insane to the max. Give me flattish land and 2 story above ground buildings any day, please. Me, my vertigo and my funky inner-ear will thank you. Otherwise the girlish shrieks of terror will be heard for miles around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like slipping the surly bonds of earth...as someone once said.

      Delete
    2. One thing to be in a plane, quite another to purposely climb trees, ladders, buildings, bridges, mountains etc. Um, no. Nope. Not gonna happen. The roof of a one-story building is high enough for me, thanks.

      Delete
    3. Sorry you're not amenable to those heights. I can't get enough of 'em.

      Delete
  8. Natures majesty all makes one seem very small in the greater scheme of things, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't appreciate the beauty of God's great Earth until I hit my late 30s. Now, I can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.