Monday, July 13, 2020

Situational Awareness required update

Well....Hello there Chanter Campers! Hope all is well in your neck of the world.  According to my clock it's Sunday.


Not that there's much difference anymore between Sunday and any other day of the week, except...It's the day before Monday and I get to post something!

Wahoo!

It's great (albeit unusual) when I've got something exciting to post about.

And today I do.

But first...The update on the House.

Last week saw the installation of the on demand Water Heater for the Master Bath as well (an apropos word)  as the connection of the house to the...well.  So, we've got running water now.
Master shower
Additionally, the floor was installed.  My knees are already beginning to feel better not having to walk on concrete.
Kitchen looking into the great room

Finally the driveway goes all the way to the garage now.  We hadn't done it before as it made it easier for the delivery trucks to back up to the garage and offload.  However, the final inspection requires demonstrating that a vehicle can actually drive into the garage.

 Interesting that should actually be an inspection item.  One would think....

"Stay on Target, juvat!"

"On Target Aye, Mon incroyablement vieux sergent de l'armée de l'air!"

This week should shed some light on when completion will occur.  That's right, Beans, the electricity will be connected and lights and fans will be installed.  Given that we've been running at about 100o over the last few days, doing the daily walk through has been a bit perspiration enriched.

On the personal front, MBD and SIL had asked us to reserve the Casseta so they could invite their Church "Small Group" over for a weekend away from the Big City.  That event occurred over the weekend.  Saturday they went and visited a couple of wineries. 

This "Communist Flu" has stirred up some weirdness.  Texas Wineries can not conduct tastings for fear of spreading it, however customers can buy a glass of wine and drink it on premise.

Makes perfect sense to me.....or not.

Anyhow, that's what they did on Saturday.  Mrs J and I got to babysit Liam.  Liam is "Two".  Like a NiCad battery, full of energy.  Like a Second Lieutenant, all velocity, no vector.  We had a great time, however we were very happy when he successfully rendezvoused with his portable crib. 

I had no idea how difficult it is to get off the floor.  Mrs J and I slept until 0845 this morning. Sleeping late is usually defined as waking NLT 0715. Kid WORE us out!

Hopefully, MBD and SIL were checking us out to see if we could handle a little one.  One can pray!

On a similar note, Talulah (the Grand Dog) had her pups.  She's a Golden-Doodle and had been bred with a miniature Poodle (Not sure about the logistics/gymnastics involved there).


10 pups in all (yes, I know, only seven in the picture, breeder took the picture not me), all doing well as is Mom.

So, I guess I'm now a Great Granddogdad.  That ought to be good for something.

Finally, it's Saturday around lunch time and my phone dings.  My excitement level goes up as I've only got one app that dings and that's Signal.  Signal is an end to end encrypted texting/file sharing app.  We use it to communicate with Little J and LJW as well as MBD and SIL.  Pretty cool, it also does video conferencing and we've successfully conferred using it with 4 separate locations, to include two overseas.

The Signal is from Little Juvat.  It's always nice to hear from family, especially when one is stuck in a combat zone to which he'd been sent on a 3 week TDY in early January. 

In any case, it looks like he's flying back to Kuwait sometime towards the end of the month.  Unfortunately, "Communist Flu" rules are still in effect and he'll have to do the 14 day self-quarantine when he arrives.  TBD if the self-quarantine includes his wife or not.  One certainly hopes so.  One (two) would like to be a grandparent (of a human child) at some point.  Close contact is required for that to happen.

I'm told.

But that's the excitement in the juvat household right now.  Thank you, Lord!

Hope your lives are progressing in positive fashion.  Don't let the bastiges get ya' down. 




39 comments:

  1. Progress on the house, granddogs, puppies, and Little Juvat being released from durance vile...

    Sounds like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not bad and actually pretty busy for a change. Got a woodworking project in progress and Mrs J has got the "purge" engine going in full swing. I'm getting pretty chummy with the garbage dumpster, Goodwill and the guys at the dump.

      Delete
  2. I like that clock, I need to get busy on the yesterday-today-tomorrow retirement clock.

    If we gussied up the puppies a bit, and they were up here in Philly, I think they'd be Yankee Doodle Dandy Doggies. They are cute.

    The shower looks nice, what's the plan for keeping water inside?

    If only we could bottle the energy of small children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like your idea and the mechanics of your clock should be easy to manufacture, at least according to Jimmy B.

      I think it's impossible for a new puppy not to be cute. At least I've never seen one.

      Gravity, I think. I've been told by a higher power that this design is the in thing. So, I'm shutting up and coloring.

      I think I gained a little energy while Liam was around. Later that evening, however.....

      Delete
  3. Wonderful news Juvat! I hope the return goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do to and will be keeping my fingers crossed and prayers going until a visual is reported by LJW.

      Delete
  4. The nice thing about not having the electricity hooked up is the heat is heat-forcing the outgassing of all the new material in your Casa Nueva. Which is somewhat important, even with the 'less gassing' materials being made lately. Though it will be nice to make sure all the electrical connections actually work and appliances and such.

    Any plans on a backup genny?

    As to Little L, where is he self-isolating once he gets back to the states? Any chance he can isolate in the guest house? Or rent an Airstream and play Apollo astronaut.

    Did you do big concrete slab to the garage or is it all limerock/caliche/gravel?

    Other than that, looks very good. You may even be cooking this coming Thanksgiving Turkey in the new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured that might be a consideration. Having electrical was also the reason the appliances weren't offloaded last week. That crew offloads, installs and tests in one visit. Therefore...

      Little J won't be coming back to the states at this point. He's going straight to Kuwait. The original idea was for him to come to the states, however, he'd have had a 14 day stay so 14 in the arrival point in the states, then 14 in Kuwait on arrival. I think he's going MilAir direct to Kuwait, so only (right!) a 14.

      It's caliche right now. Last phase of the project will be to chip seal it after all the heavy trucks are done.

      Still keeping my eye on Christmas. Anything earlier will be fine.

      Delete
  5. Yay for houses and family reconnecting... That's ONE word for it. ;-) Finished and published another novel so things are looking up on my end. Y'all stay safe and enjoy the new spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading it, OldNFO! Congratulations. I haven't been reading your postings on it for the same reason I'm not reading Sarge's. I did read your snippets from the Gray Man series. The problem was later I'd be reading the book and I'd think to myself "I KNOW what's going to happen". Not a criticism for either of you by any stretch of the imagination, just that I like the surprise/suspense of the story unfolding as I read. That's just me.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful home. And I too love the clock. The closer I get to 62, the more I will be needing that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all seriousness, with the communist flu restrictions on activities (of which Texas is far from the most restrictive) the days do start to blend together. Having just a quick reminder of what day it is helps quite a bit. (e.g. stops me from stopping by the liquor store on Sunday.)

      Thanks, we think we're going to like it a lot.

      Delete
  7. juvat/

    Good to see the Home Drome is coming along nicely. And the wall clock? I've got one with all the numbers jumbled up at the bottom with a statement which reads: "Who Cares?" :) Yes, at 76 I've reached that stage in my life. And thanx for the tip about Signal. PS: ALWAYS remember to check six-the SOBs are LITERALLY everywhere. (As if you didn't already know.. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! You're only 76! I thought we were almost contemporaries in STL!

      Delete
    2. Thanks VX. Yep, regardless of what the gummint thinks, they don't have the need or the right to read my mail. So...screw 'em if they can't take a joke. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
    3. D4, yeah, but it's a YOUNG 76!

      Delete
  8. Juvat, great post as usual. Puppy pictures, loved relative pictures, construction stuff and digital advice! Here's how to figure out your calendar during retirement:
    Sunday - Sangria
    Monday - Margaritas
    Tuesday - Tom Collins (in honor of my Squadron mate, shot down in '65.)
    Wednesday - White Russian (in honor of the BEARS we used to chase)
    Thursday - Tequila Slammer
    Friday - Florida Sunrise (why don't they have a Texas Sunrise?)
    Saturday - Screwdiver (or "zeuss" driver {?} in honor of OAFS)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always liked the way you think, D4. Just as an FYI, Cayman Jack makes a pretty decent canned Margarita (for when you want just one and there ain't a lime within 10 miles (the distance to the HEB from our house)). Texas Sunrise would be a Tequila Sunrise with six shots of tequila. Not sure Mrs J is up for all that, but...she's surprised me before.

      Delete
    2. Zeuss driver, I love it. (With thoughts of that damned map case in the back seat haunting my dreams!)

      Delete
    3. Wait a second, O writer of words. Isn't it a Dzus Driver as in Dzus fasteners? Remember, I worked at an FBO for quite a few years, even carried my Dzus fastener from those days in one of my G-suit pockets just in case I found a popped fastener. Saved both me and the crew chief a bit of time.

      Delete
    4. Aye, it is mon Colonel, but I didn't want to correct Quad-D, I mean him being an officer and a gentleman and all. [Said while knuckling my forehead as a good subordinate should.]

      😏

      Delete
    5. Yes...But as a Member of the vaunted USAF Non-Commissioned Officer ranks, I'm sure you know exactly how to tell an officer he's full of ca-ca and have him thank you for it. Lord knows that I certainly know several who had that talent, just don't ask me HOW I know!

      Delete
    6. I debated the spelling of instrument of torque application. I couldn't remember so I faked it, only to be corrected by some young buck and his support staff (you figure out which one you are). I still have one of the crazy things from my T-Bird days, I guess. I tried to sell it on eBay one time. No bites.

      Delete
    7. Juvat is such a big meanie...

      Delete
    8. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!



      Delete
    9. You must be the "young buck", cause you sure ain't the support staff. Just sayin'

      Delete
  9. Our Active-duty types have had to quarantine when they return from overseas, either at home or in the Bachelors' Quarters. If at home, their spouses must do so as well to help maintain that bubble. No idea if that's actually happening, but we're giving them blind faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of "Trust Me, I'm from the Government, you need to ...." going around.

      That old saying about "Fool me once..." comes to mind. This one I think is also apropos.

      "Being fooled does not make you a fool. You only become a fool when you continuously fall for the same shit."

      Unfortunately, there seem to be lots of new fools in this day and age.

      Delete
  10. D4@3:07PM/

    Somehow you've got to squeeze in a Mig-15--you know, 1/2 cognac & 1/2 drambuie on the rocks--preferably 2 shots of each. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't quite get my mouth around to tasting that. I like them both, but mixed? That sounds like the prelude to "dead bug" and a lot worse. The official 68TFS Squadron libation was the French 75 - 1/2 Champagne, 1/2 Brandy (we were to cheap for Cognac, after the first round (we drank it out of a passed-around benjo bucket) it wouldn't have mattered anyway).

      Delete
    2. VX, I've had that drink, one time, multiple iterations. I don't think it was called a Mig-15, in my case it was much more dangerous than that. Late the following day, when I started feeling like I might actually live, I resolved to purge it from my libation menu. If you know what I mean.

      Delete
    3. D4,
      The 68th was a sister squadron when I was in the 339th/69th at Moody. I don't remember them doing French 75s ever, unless it was a squadron ritual only performed in the squadron bar behind locked doors.

      I wonder if they still have squadron bars these days. I'm betting on the negative side.

      Delete
  11. juvat@8:33AM/

    "I'm betting on the negative side." Unfortunately I think you are right--all started in the neo-prohibitionist Carter years, really. I once had a retired Marine flyboy SQ CO in New Orleans, in discussing the subj. tell me: "Hell, the only way I found out about what was actually going on in the Squadron was at the bar."

    ReplyDelete
  12. D4@7:25AM/

    ROGER THAT! LUVS me some French 75s! Great ANY time of day...BTW, if your'e ever in the French Quarter in New Orleans, hit Pat O'Briens on St Peters St. Hit the Annex (locals) bar on left as you walk in. Only bar in N.O. that keeps a fifth(s) of house champagne on hand solely for French 75s at a reasonable cost. But beware--last time I was in the idiots were using GIN! Be sure to double chec

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently gin is the go to spirit. I don't thing I'd like it. All of our "Beefeaters" was in the freezers around campus (Itazuke Base Housing and Zashnokuma off base housing). Open the bottle, fill the space with vermouth, close and freeze. Be sure you pour it over ice to warm it up abit before imbibing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That granite sure looks familiar. Glad your house is coming along well. You will be cooking Thanksgiving Dinner there this year as that was where we were at sometime in August 2018 and moved in at the end of September.

    As to the drink of the day, Tac Airlifters drank lots of beer. We had beergerators in my first two squadrons for post flight operations including debriefings.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.