Sunday, February 20, 2022

Surprised Me Too ...


I hadn't expected to post another chapter in the latest book yesterday, but inspiration hit and I could but write. So yeah, surprised me it did.

It was a long week, they all are as retirement looms in the not-so-distant future. It's been a long road to get to this point in my life, while I look forward to not answering to people who pay me to listen to their demands, it's also quite daunting. I've been doing that seemingly forever. But, like the song says, all things must pass.

Friday night was dinner with friends, two other couples, all the wives being Korean is what we have in common. A nice group of people, fun to go out with now and again. Good food, good conversation, well, the English conversation on the guy side of the table went well, not sure how the Korean conversation fared on the other side of the table.

Occasionally the two conversations overlapped, in English of course, I have a smattering of Korean which is useful to get a train or a taxi or a beer, but that's about it. The other two chaps, to my uncertain knowledge, have no Korean at all, perhaps yes, no, and thank you. An aptitude for language is not much cultivated in these here United States. We assume that the rest of the world learns English, which they do. But I've found that it's at least polite to know a few phrases in other languages.

Was in the mood for seafood, so I had the scallops, very nicely cooked they were. I chased those down with a couple of Stella Artois, what I call Christmas beer. It's light and very refreshing. Tiramisu and Irish coffee were for afters, both were quite good.

As you might note from the picture, we still have our Christmas candles in the windows, The Missus Herself usually has those put away a couple of weeks after Christmas. But this year has been so cold and snowy that she decided to leave them up a while longer, because, as she says, they make the house seem warmer and more inviting.

I concur. I can also wander about in the evening without turning on the brighter lights. I rather enjoy the near darkness. Probably due to my weakening eyesight. Glaucoma and retinal issues have done a number on me. But thanks to a very good eye doctor, I'm still good to go.

But Saturday morning I awakened to one of my "blurry days." If I put my eyedrops in too soon after awakening I have trouble focusing the rest of the day, well, at least until evening comes. This too shall pass.

Speaking of aging, while going into dinner Friday night there was an older gentleman navigating the walk while using a cane. He was not very limber and I could see that moving from point A to point B was not fun for him.

The Missus Herself and Your Humble Scribe came up on his six o'clock position and throttled back so as not to vex him in any way. We weren't in any great hurry. He saw us, stopped, stepped out of the way, and apologized. I told him that he had no need to apologize, he was just making his way in the world and we were in no hurry.

He laughed and advised me that getting old wasn't a picnic. "Don't get old," he said.

I told him that I was "working on that" but I was merely fighting a delaying action.

Time waits for no man.

But you folks will have to wait for the next chapter.

I gave the Muse the night off, she earned it.

See you Tuesday.



38 comments:

  1. Agreed on not getting old and fighting a delaying action. As well as getting harder to move about - some days are worse than others, and even the good days take more time to get limber... sigh. Glad you had a good dinner, sounds like a fine time. And I am embarrassed about being mostly monolingual, with a smattering of German and Spanish thrown in. I marvel at those who can speak multiple languages fluently with seemingly little effort... their brains are wired differently.
    Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting old, however, does generally beat the alternative of "not getting old."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, due primarily to the circumstances in which I picked up a smattering of different tongues, most of what I know is not fit for polite company. One night, however, while packing up after a session in Aidan's a young lady asked me to hand her her purse. In Irish. She then asked me how did I know what she said. I replied I don't know Gaelic but I have been married many years and I recognize "Wife". Old Guns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, most men understand that language, or they don't stay married long!

      Delete
  4. Well, we still have maneuvering speed Sarge and these days having a meal with friends is to be relished. A visiting nurse asked my dad if he was enjoying his golden years (her first visit) and he replied, "The only thing golden is the pi$%!" She raised her eyebrows and I started to chuckle. As to snowy conditions Monday into Tuesday, five to ten inches guessed....er....forecast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some, it melted, we had a lot, it melted, had some more, you guessed it, it melted. Supposed to start that cycle again this week.

      Ah yes, the "golden" years.

      Delete
  5. Getting old... yesterday I was under my '90 VW bus. I was changing the fuel filter (I'd taken the gas tank out to change the positive battery cable and I think crap had gotten stirred up and moved into the filter).
    I scooched out from under the bus and had to think about what I needed to do to stand up... The simple action of standing up is not so simple any more...I did get up but I have to think about it these days before I get down on the ground.... On Friday it will be the start of my 69th trip around the sun.
    I work on (and drive) the bus because it's fun & something I've been doing for a lot of years, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I can't get up off the floor. But that is a question for later!

    Are the other families you had dinner with ex-military?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One did a stint in the Army, the other in the Air Force.

      A VW bus, I have fond memories of those.

      Delete
  6. Sarge, I have to agree that as large changes loom (for me not so much retirement - were that it were so - as much as a location change), the weeks become both longer and disconnected. At least for myself, I find myself in a odd in-between limbo: having to be involved, but always have my eyes on a horizon.

    One could wish that multiple languages were as valued in the US as they were elsewhere. Perhaps they are now more than they were before. I have enough Japanese to get myself in trouble and enough high school German to conduct basic getting around. But honestly, that would take a level of engagement from students, a higher sense of the value of education, and a societal valuing and enforcement of it - all things which, I suspect, American society is no longer capable of.

    As an unrelated note, The Guns of Navarone is on Netflix right now. I watched it last night - far more different from the book than I remembered, but it has still held up fairly well. I wonder, in retrospect, where they got all the armor etc. used in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched that not too long ago. Seemed to me that the Wehrmacht put their most incompetent officers in charge!

      Delete
    2. True, although I do remember that in the book, it felt much more of a close run thing.

      Delete
    3. Well, typically the book is better than the movie. Usually.

      Delete
  7. In the 90 unit senior building where I live, perhaps a quarter to a third of my neighbors use walkers or wheelchairs. Keeps me motivated to do my daily walks and exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old sucks. Creaky joints, that takes an hour to focus and clear all the crusties and floaters and eye boogers out, the morning hacking to clear lungs, and the inevitable multiple trips to the bathroom for one thing or another.

    Glad that retirement is looming. I know you enjoy your job, but you need to enjoy the unfettered life also. Well, different 'masters' as a retiree that is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No law against having candles in the windows year round. They are indeed a welcoming and warming touch.
    Tell the neighbors it's a Korean thing, or something. It is NOT the same as those "early planners" who have colored Christmas lights up year round, but not turned on.

    Retirement is a great joy and opportunity for those who have interests outside of their "work world." Those who do seem to keep more busy than ever. Those who do not, atrophy mentally and physically and "age" rapidly. You have plenty of interests, and your only regret will be that you waited so long to pull the plug on "work."
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last few years at work have been very rewarding, both professionally and financially. I will miss the people I work with.

      Delete
  10. I know I got to Sixty much faster than I thought I would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Scallops!! There are reasons why I enjoy visiting family in New England.

    The hardest thing about getting older, from what I have seen and personally experienced, is the shock when your brain keeps writing checks your body can't, or wont, cash anymore.

    The fact that when a patient trying to get cranky with me asks me how long have I been a nurse, and I stop and think 'holy crap, its been over 40 years', or that I have been a visiting nurse for more than 30 years...just doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I guess time flies while we are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my brain says, "do this," and my body says, "nope, not happening."

      Delete
  12. Remember, if you know how to order a beer in another language, you had better also know how to ask where the restroom is in that same language. Just sayin'. I can do both in Spanish, but not much more that is polite to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Don McCollor)...A candle in the window used to have another purpose. Before rural electricity, rural farmhouses in MN and the Dakotas would keep a lantern or candle burning in the window all night long during a blizzard as a guide to anyone lost in the storm...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Retirement for me is a decade away, but I definitely don't want to work longer than I need. Figuring out when that is based on how well 401Ks, tax policy, and health are doing will be the constant varying determinates. As for languages, I know just enough in several languages to find the head, order a beer, and get slapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last bit means you know how to have fun anywhere. DAMHIK

      Delete
    2. That kind of fun isn't allowed anymore though! Glad I experienced it when I did!

      Delete
  15. Many Thanks for the “Winter Wars” episodes.
    The Winter War is pretty much the Unknown War. Aside from not much more than footnote mention, no recollection of anything from that Theatre of WWII. The links in your “Source” headers are a factual eye-opener if not a trove of additional information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fine example of what pricks the Soviets were.

      Delete
  16. About The Muse…

    I recall reading that most actors have the potential for an award-winning performance. It simply requires a great director to wring it out via as needed acts of cuddle-push-kick-threaten to achieve the desired performance. And as screen credits silently acknowledge, a “cast of thousands” of support personnel.

    Conversely, writers simply have a sheet of paper speckled with words, a trusty Muse and perhaps an overworked research assistant. On that sheet of paper, a writer is tasked with describing in words the view that film records in action and sound. In short, film is simply a snapshot in time while a writer’s words forever enable readers to experience the story subject only to individual imagination.

    A favorite self-designed cartoon is Snoopy atop the doghouse pounding away on his “great American novel”. Opening with “It was a dark and stormy night….”, he makes a mistake. Striping away the now error laden sheet of paper he begins again. I call my imaginary work “Clean Sheet of Paper”.

    All Hands occasionally need a clean sheet of paper. Your wrings are a gift enabled by a beneficent Muse. Treasure her. Keep going forward and as an old Gunny counseled; “Walk slow and drink plenty of water”.

    Semper Fi!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, dear Sarge. I am sorry to hear about the vision challenges, and I sympathize deeply. Had both cataract surgeries done before I was 57. Got floaters that I, mostly, have adapted to. Hubby has stubborn glaucoma. Thanks be to God for the superlative care of a good ophthalmologist! Never miss one of those appointments. As to retirement, we have begun the exit planning. Still a few years away, but counted in single digits. I won't miss the work, I will miss SOME of the people. But then the new adventures begin. Yay for those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely will miss some of the people I work with.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.