Monday, July 29, 2024

Leadership, the way it should be done. (A repost or two)

 

Mrs J's surgery went well, She's still in the hospital but should be released today.  Treatment is a bit more severe than we would have liked, but she's doing ok.  So, I've got a few balls in the air right now, so had to do a repost.  It's one of my favorite and career defining stories.  I like it.
 
So there I was….stationed at Holloman AFB in lovely Alamogordo-by-the-sea NM. I’ve been married about a year now and my personnel officer bride and I have managed to align the moons of Jupiter and gotten assigned together.  She is working at the Consolidated Base Personnel Office (CBPO) and I am assigned to the 435th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron (TFTS) as an Instructor Pilot (IP) at Lead-in Fighter Training (LIFT). (I’m trying to expand Sarge’s Acronym Locker).The 435th mission was to teach newly graduated pilots the basics of flying a fighter, and also trained existing fighter pilots in the AT-38B and qualified them as IPs.



I’ve completed instructor training (Ed Rasimus was my IP, story(s) at a later date), and have been working as Squadron Scheduler.  Ed’s description of his Replacement Training Unit (RTU) scheduler, Wimpy, in “When Thunder Rolled” accurately describes a scheduler’s duties.

In any case, I’m building the schedule one day when the Squadron Commander walks in.  He’s one of the VERY few people allowed in the scheduling office when the schedule is being built.  Reduces distractions, eliminates the opportunity for pulling rank, bribery or blackmail to get on the schedule.  But the Squadron Commander is the boss, so he’s allowed.  Anyhow, he walks in and says “Juvat, old boy, I've got a good deal for you!”  Immediately I think “Shields to Maximum!  Ready all phasers and photon torpedos!”  I am attentive to his every mannerism at this point and, based on previous experience, am evaluating various escape routes.

He says “You know we’re getting a new DO (Director of Operations, the person in charge of all the Operational aspects of a Fighter Wing, an O-6, Full Colonel) shortly.  Because we’ll have to work around his schedule, and since you’re the scheduler, I want you to be his Instructor.”

Now, I need to go off track a bit to set the stage for what I envision is an opportunity to commit career suicide.  At this point in time, Tactical Air Command had instituted a policy which, to me, was absolute genius.  They modified the uniform regulation for flight suits so they could include a small patch on the sleeve showing a pilot’s experience level.  One silver colored star for every 500 hours of Fighter Time.  Additionally, a pilot would have a gold colored star if he had even 1 hour of combat time and would add additional gold stars for every 500 hours of combat time. 

There were a lot of Vietnam era pilots in the 435th at the time.

Ed had at least 3 gold stars ( I think he might have had 4).  Most of the Majors and above had at least 2. 

Since I had a little less than 1000 hours in the F-4, I had one silver star.

The reason I thought this policy was genius, and undoubtedly the reason it was done away with, was you could instantly judge a senior officer’s credibility with a quick glance to his sleeve. Fighter Pilots judge credibility primarily on having employed weapons from a Fighter in anger, multiple times.  So an O-4 with 3 Gold Stars and 6 Silver stars (4000+ hours of flying time and at least 1000+ combat time, AKA Ed) had much more credibility than an O-6 with 2 Silver Stars (our Wing Commander at the time).

About now, Sarge is probably saying “Get ON with it, juvat!  We’re paying by the electron here.”  Back in the squadron, as I have now eliminated all possible escape routes as impossible, I’m thinking about the many different ways I can screw this up.  If he’s a rising star in the, as LL at Virtual Mirage would say, Chair Force, I will probably run afoul of him because, well let’s just say, I’m not very tactful.  If he’s actually a Fighter Pilot (an attitude not an AFSC), what is little ol’ minimally experienced ME gonna teach him?

But, the die is cast; I am to be his IP.  The day of his arrival is now upon us, and I happen to be looking out the window when I see a brand new Corvette sweeping into the parking lot.  By sweeping, I mean driven as a Corvette should be driven, with authority! Out steps the driver who jams his flight cap on his head at the requisite Fighter Pilot angle and with the Fighter Pilot crush at the back. 

Robin Olds, NOT Vegas, but the flight cap is right.
A quick glance at his sleeve, 3 golds, 6 silvers.  He’s been there, done that!

He strides into the squadron like he owns it (which technically he does), and the squadron is called to attention.  Bellows “As you were”.  Walks up to me sticks out his hand and says “Juvat, I’m Vegas” I reply…..”Pleased to meet you, Sir.”  We sit down and I begin the flight briefing for his first ride.

The Instructor Pilot program at LIFT was divided into 2 parts, aircraft qualification and Instructor qualification.  Aircraft qualification was 5 flights, 3 in the front and 2 in the back followed by a check ride.  Successfully completing the check ride meant you were qualified to fly the aircraft.  The front seat rides were for practicing aircraft handling as well as landings.  The back seat was for instruments.  Landing from the back seat was taught after the check ride as part of the instructor qualification.

So, for Vegas’ first ride, we’re going to go out to the area and do a little acro then some stalls and falls, then return to the base and beat up the landing pattern.  We get suited up and walk out to the jet, fire it up and taxi it out.  The AT-38 was a pretty sweet little jet and performed the LIFT role well, but takeoff at Holloman on a hot summer day was often exciting.  Holloman’s field elevation was 4000’, which meant that a lot of runway 22’s 12000’ was needed. 


Vegas gets us airborne and flies the departure like he’s been doing it for years, we get through the advanced handling without me demo’ing any of the maneuvers, the man has golden hands.  Back into the pattern, pitch out, configure, on airspeed in the final turn, touch down on the numbers on speed.  Power back up; go around, another perfect landing and another and another.  Full stop and taxiing back in, I’m trying to figure out what to say in the debrief.  I can’t say “Got nothin’ Boss, great ride!” without appearing like a suck up, but that’s what it was.  However, we get into the debrief and he starts with “Man, I think I was about 2 knots fast on that first touch and go……” and proceeds to conduct his own debrief.

Second ride is in the back seat, he wants to do the takeoff.  Smooth as glass.  We head to Roswell to shoot an approach.  That penetration and approach was pretty tricky, there’s a big descent to make a hard altitude and if you’re not paying attention, your airspeed can get away from you, making the rest of the approach difficult.  More than one pilot has busted a check ride on that approach.  His approach was textbook. 
At one point in my life, I could read this.  Now, pretty much Greek.

We get back to Holloman and I’m looking forward to maybe getting SOME stick time at least with the landing, but NOOOOOOO.  Vegas asks if he can do the landing.  Greases it.  I’m glad I let him land, might have been embarrassing.



So this goes on for rides 3 and 4.  I’m learning more from him than the other way around.  We’re now heading back into the pattern on ride 5, his last ride before the qual check.  I’m very relaxed.  He pitches out, configures, comes around the final turn and we’re over the overrun, but a few knots slow.  I notice the nose start to rise a little sooner than I expected as he begins the flare and the throttles start coming back.  BAM, we smack down on the runway.  Power comes up, we complete the touch and go and get cleared for a closed pattern (pitch up to downwind from the end of the runway rather than go out to the pattern entry point and reenter traffic).  I’m thinking, what the heck was that, a fluke?  Configure, start the final turn, rollout.  And the same thing happens again.  Too slow+Early Flare=Hard Landing.  We've got gas for one more pattern so I can’t demo. If he doesn't land correctly this time….He doesn't.  If anything the full stop was worse.  So much so, that we’re taxiing on the runway longer than usual.  He asks me “How was that?”  

The mind is racing.  Decisions, Decisions…

“Well, sir, I think you need another ride.”  He says, “Can we do that? How?”  I say “I bust you on this one.”

 Silence.

I’m thinking, well at least McDonald’s is hiring.

After clearing the runway, we typically would call back to the squadron with the Aircraft status (Code 1-fully operational, music to Sarge’s ears, rarely happened; Code 2-flyable, but some problems; Code 3- not flyable without repairs) and the mission status (T3C -Student Passed, T2M- mission unsuccessful Maintenance, a needed system was inop, T2W- Unsuccessful Weather and T2S- Unsuccessful Student non-progress). Hard Landings have to be written up, so the jet is Code 2.

“Black Eagle ops, Juvat, Code 2, T2S” 

“Juvat, Black Eagle Ops, say again” 

“Black Eagle ops, Juvat, Code 2, T2 Sierra” 

“Standby Juvat”

“Juvat, Black Eagle One (the commander), say reason for T2S”

Before I can respond, the DO gets on the radio from the front seat and says “If my IP says I busted this ride, I busted this ride!”

I’d follow him through the gates of Hell.
 

Vegas!!! Part Deux

So there I was…an At-38B Instructor Pilot at Holloman Airplane Patch New Mexico.  I’ve been there about two years and my non-flying duty is squadron scheduler.  I have been blessed with a “good deal”, and I have made the most of it.

Current Wing Policy is that all senior Wing Personnel will receive check rides from the Chief of Stan-Eval.  The actual name is Standardization and Evaluation, most of us called them Stan Evil.  Ostensibly the requirement for the Wing King and the like to get their check rides from the Branch Chief was to reduce the likelihood of “undue Command Influence” in passing their check rides.  Works for me!  A Lieutenant Colonel looking for a Squadron to Command and therefore, earn his ticket to Bird Colonel.  No possibility for influence there…..

In any case, those thunderstorms raged far, far above my limited horizon.  My immediate problem was simple.  I had busted the Director of Operations (The number three guy in the Wing, call sign Vegas) on his last ride before his check ride.  Apparently, he had forgotten everything he’d learned in his 4000+ hours of flying about landing a jet, therefore he required another practice ride and his Check Ride was scheduled for tomorrow.



The Chief of Stan-Eval had booked a cruise for the day after and would not be available for the next two weeks. When dealing with the gods, scheduling is important.

I get back into the squadron, and the squadron CO is waiting for me.  Already having  been chastised by Vegas for having questioned my busting him on the ride, he asks me what my intention is.  I look at the schedule and see a three ship of IPs scheduled  for a continuation sortie.  Continuation sorties were missions where the IPs flew front seat and actually got to fly the jet and remain proficient at flying a fighter.  Students may or may not get to tag along in the back seat. Didn’t get a lot of them and these three guys were going to go out and fly a 2 V 1.  This was about as fun and complex a mission as we were allowed.  Highly sought after. Schedulers were able to get IPs to do all sorts of unpleasant things on the promise of a continuation ride.

I walk up to the schedule, draw a line through the 1 in the 2 V 1 and wrote Vegas and my name in.  The IPs would now be going on a 1 V 1.  Vegas and I would get our refly.  I was not popular.

Obviously, this ride was going to be later in the day and at Holloman during the summer, a later sortie made everything just a little bit more difficult.  The pressure altitude was higher, the engines responded different, winds were gusty, dust frequently blew so visibility was worse.  In short, for a person having difficulty landing a jet, flying late in the afternoon could make or break him.

We blast off, go to the area for a few minutes just to get down to landing weight, then return to the pattern for touch and go’s.  I’m a bit tense, but Vegas doesn’t seem to be worried.  He flies down initial, pitches out, configures, starts the turn, rolls out on speed and greases the landing.  Requests closed, granted, rolls out on downwind, configures, starts the turn, rolls out on speed and greases the landing.  Starts the go around, and says, “You want to fly the rest?”

I clearly had passed the test.

It’s now towards the end of the program.  Vegas had flown with other IPs, but I still was his primary IP.  We’re now in the first ride in the Air to Ground phase and Vegas is in the front seat.


 Once he sees the bombing range from the front seat, he will switch to the back seat and “instruct” me in Air to Ground techniques. Truthfully, I’m looking forward to it.  We had just completed Air to Air, and having him in my back seat instructing me (note the lack of quotation marks), had been VERY educational both for my IP skills as well as my actual Fighter Pilot skills.  I was looking forward to experiencing the same in Air to Ground. 

We’ve been to the range, dropped our 6 blue practice bombs and headed home.

We’re coming down initial for runway 16 and I hear the tower clear a flight of 4 F-15s on to runway 25 to hold. 

We pitch out, configure, turn final for a Touch and Go.  Roll out on final, I do a quick look out the nose of the Jet to check lineup, configuration etc.  (I’m still the Aircraft Commander, and IP, it’s my butt if something happens.)  As expected, Vegas is on the numbers.  I glance out the right side of the jet as we cross over the overrun….

Pause for a scenario setting .  Runway 16 and Runway 25 butt up against one another.  The overruns intersect.

The problem will occur in the light gray area at the top center of the photo.

Clearing a flight on to hold, gives that flight permission to do just that.  Taxi into position and sit there until given clearance to do something else.

It does not give you permission to run your engines up to military power in anticipation of takeoff!!

So, enough interlude.  I glance out the right expecting big wide exhaust nozzles  from 8 Pratt and Whitney F-100 Engines .
What I'm expecting when looking at exhaust nozzles

instead, I see little bitty teenie exhaust nozzles spewing exhaust gas across our approach at who knows how fast.
This is what F-15 engines look like in Mil Power and what I'm seeing


I advance the throttles into afterburner, while at the same time calmly communicating to Vegas that I was going to take command of the aircraft and would he please let go of the stick (I slammed the throttles to AB while I screamed “I got it!!”), just as we hit the turbulence.

The jet rolled to the left, and my guardian angel kicked in at that second, because my expected reaction should have been to roll back right.  I didn't, I added right rudder, which yawed the nose away from the ground as well as countered the rolling moment. I have no idea where that reaction, the only and absolute right move, came from.   I’m not sure what the angle of bank was, but I have a very clear picture of looking up at the runway.  The jet begins to yaw the nose above the horizon while rolling back towards level. We exit the turbulence as the aircraft rights itself.  I clean the gear and flaps up and remember the burners.  About this time, Vegas calls from the front seat and says “Well, that was exciting, do you mind if I fly the full stop?”  “No Sir, not at all.”

These guys practice it,  me, not so much!

Full stop, and Vegas asks what happened.  He’d never seen the four ship and all he knew was we had almost lost control.  I explained what had happened.  Debrief began later than usual that day as my student was unavailable.  Evidently, an F-15 flight lead lost his flight lead status.

About 6 months later, I’m now the Wing Scheduler and am up for assignment.  The F-4 is being phased out and F-15s and F-16s are starting to be assigned.  However, the AF still needs folks assigned to F-4Gs as well as F-111s, so the policy is that IPs  up for assignment in the next 6 months will be divided into Top Half/ Bottom Half.  Top Half will get the jet of their dreams; Bottom Half will get needs of the AF.  I’m fairly certain I’m in the Top Half, but, since I also want to be assigned with my wife, also military, and 2 year old son, I’m a bit tense.  Today is the day.  I get the call from my assignment officer.  F-4G to George.  I’m disappointed, but it is with my wife, so that’s the way the ball bounces. 



Vegas also knows this is the day.  He comes walking in to my office and asks what I got.  I tell him, his jaw drops and he says “Captain, can I borrow your desk?”  Dials an number and says (I’ve forgotten the name, so let’s use Stan)”Stan, Vegas here, do you personnel wienies still subscribe to the Top Half/Bottom Half policy?....Well, I’d like to know why Juvat here, my number one guy in this assignment tranche, is getting an F-4G? …..Yeah, I know about his wife…..Look, Colonel, I've got a retention problem here (he did) and if I can’t get my number one guy a new jet, what am I going to tell the rest of the guys to keep them in the AF? Why should they stay? I want him in an Eagle, and I want his wife assigned to the same base.” 

At that instant, it no longer mattered to me what my assignment was, I was reassured there were still people in the AF that cared about their people.  I would stay.


There’s more conversation on the phone, finally Vegas hangs up and says “Juvat, you and Mrs. Juvat are going to Kadena.”


Best assignment of my Air Force Career.

36 comments:

  1. Ah, good news on Mrs. J, always a relief to come home from the hospital juvat. Nice choice for repeat, those visuals help the plot line...... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Thanks, it will be nice to have her back in the house. Even with 5 dogs, 2 cats and 2 horses, it still gets a bit lonely without her.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Juvat, happy to hear Mrs. J will make it home today. Prayers Up for good full recovery.
    Cletus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cletus, agreed and thanks. Headed that way in about a half hour.
      juvat

      Delete
  3. A great tale, well told.

    Prayers continuing for a full recovery for Mrs. J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge,
      Thanks, Col Cox had a big influence on me, taught me a lot about flying fighters, but mostly about leadership. Regretfully, he passed away in 2017. Probably up in Heaven, still shooting his wristwatch. RIP Vegas.

      Thanks, there'll be a few changes in how some things are handled after recovery, but we'll adapt. Prayers are always appreciated.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Good to hear of Mrs. J doing okay. I've had y'all in my prayers.
      ---
      Love hearing those stories once again. And together to boot. Some great hanger flying there; if I were a young aviator, those would offer some good lessons.

      Delete
    3. Bill,
      Thanks, the prayers seem to be working.

      Vegas had a big role in fine tuning my flying skills as well as my leadership methodology. I was not disappointed in how things went. And believe it or not, they worked in my classroom as well.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. I remember the stories the last time you published them, and they are welcome again. Good leadership often seems in such short supply in every age.

    Thank you for the update about Mrs. J. Prayers still up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Thanks, prayers did wonders
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Good news on Mrs. J, prayers for you both.
    Leadership stories are always valuable.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JB, much appreciated
      juvat

      Delete
  6. We're glad that Mrs. J. is doing well. You're correct when you say it gets lonely.
    Miss Jeanie was gone four nights with her cardiac thing, but it's been a week since the event and she's doing fine. Our womens is tough!
    Great story, I love the idea of our trying to tell way more qualified people how to maneuver the equipment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LtFuzz,
      Glad Miss Jeanie is doing better. Mrs J is back in my arms now and the Dr's are happy with her symptoms. Hope that continues for both or our Ladies.
      I learned a bit of instruction technique from him in how to present things the senior ranking person has no clue about. That served me well. But, flying with an outstanding fighter pilot and watching him from the front seat and having him "learn" to instruct from the back seat did wonders for my skill set.
      juvat

      Delete
  7. Great news on Mrs. J! Awesome reread! As a newby crew chief at 419 TFTS, McConnell AFB, Wichita, 1970-72 working on Thunder Thuds, almost all the pilots were SEA combat vets with at least 100 hours of combat (said so, right there on their shoulder patch). I had been reading air combat stories since 7th grade. I was so impressed by them, almost hero worship. Never had an asshole fly my bird. The higher the rank, the more casual and easy going they were. Men to look up to. Thanks for the rehash, might have been better the 2nd time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not meaning to quibble, but I think that patch was 100 Missions over North Vietnam. Most of those missions were 3 -5 hours each, co well over 100 hours. Again, those patches indicated that the person wearing them had done his duty in extreme circumstances when many of his compatriots did not return. I knew several of those patch wearers. Deep respect for them.
      Deep Respect!
      juvat

      Delete
    2. "You are correct sir!" in my best Ed McMahon. It was over North Viet Nam, should have been clear on that (doesn't EVERYBODY know that? No Mike, no they don't...not anymore). They may have visited Cambodia and or Laos, not sure. The Thud drivers flew out of Thailand.

      Delete
    3. Tree Mike,
      No worries, I just wanted to clarify. I had the honor of knowing quite a few of them as well as members of another heroic group. The father of the two kids I would babysit for got to spend a few years under the kind care of the north vietnamese (No, I don't capitalize those words). He was definitely a changed man on return. Heroism frequently has a very high price and should be respected, regardless of personal feelings/thoughts about the cause.
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Did Vegas purposefully blow his first check flights so he could get another day in the cockpit? Or was he testing you? I mean, someone with that level of experience, sure, could potentially screw up accidentally, but...

    Dad flew T-33s out of Holloman the first time he was there. J-Flight Jets. We still have his first flight helmet with his name on it, which he found in an Army-Navy surplus store in the early 60's.

    As to Mrs. J. Good on her. A good week will be one without any medical appointments or issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans,
      Sorry, been hanging out at Hospital all day.
      Yes, My impression of Vega's activity was a test. Would I do what I was supposed to do as an IP, or would I do what I thought the higher ranking officers were expecting.
      He and I had similar concerns about the AF and some of its Members.
      It was never spoken between us, but I was pretty sure that was what was what.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Prayers will continue for Mrs. J. Let the healing commence!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      She's back home and doing well. Prayers are much appreciated.
      juvat

      Delete
  10. Many Thanks for digging out the "Check Ride". It's more than worthy of an occasional repeat. Never an airman but Robin Olds' career is almost a campfire story for young Braves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Thanks, yeah I've re-read the repost several times in the past few days, just to keep my mind focused on happier times and off of "Things".
      Glad stories like Robin Olds (as well as actual people like him) are useful for the next generation.
      juvat

      Delete
  11. Leadership. As a once Enlisted swine (as viewed by some LTs) I always hoped for the kind of leadership you described (and the integrity you personally showed). Instead, I looked at our officers with the idea, if in Ivan came through the Fulda Gap, would I follow this officer or shot the s.o.b at the first opportunity? Please understand I always admired competent officers. I simply wasn't going to die became of an incompetent one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WSF,
      Agreed. The only difference, I think, would be that the incompetent ones in my neck of the woods would be easy to identify as they would always seem to have a mechanical problem or some other reason to abort and return to base. The gold colored tag on the sleeve (or lack thereof) was a good indication thereof. Which is why it was abolished after about 5 years and those folks had risen high enough in rank to make it go away. More's the pity.
      juvat

      Delete
  12. You have lead an interesting life, Juvat, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. StB,
      Well...It's rarely boring, I'll say that!
      Thanks
      juvat

      Delete
  13. Marvelous story, told marvelously. THAT's leadership!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember both stories. Both good ones. So did they create a job for your personal (sic) officer? haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she was one of the section chiefs at the Consolidated Base Personnel Office. Roughly similar to a Flight Commander in a flying squadron.
      She's quite a bit sore and still trying to figure "things" out, but doing ok. For a small town hospital, I'm quite impressed with the support available for a major surgery like hers was. Very reassuring.
      Thanks,

      Delete
  15. Great stories, and yes, sucking it up and doing the 'right' thing does pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Well, it might not, depending, but it sure does make it easier to sleep at night.
      juvat

      Delete
  16. I always like the good leader stories. They are so rare these days. I. need to work on that myself. Great stories!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.