Friday, August 12, 2016

Out of Sorts...

(Source)*
In aviation, a spin is an aggravated stall resulting in rotation about the center of gravity, wherein the aircraft follows a downward corkscrew path. Spins can be entered unintentionally or intentionally, from any flight attitude and from practically any airspeed. All that is required is sufficient yaw rate while an aircraft is stalled. An incipient spin is typically driven by inputs made and held by the pilot, whereas a fully developed spin is a self-sustaining maneuver. In either case, a specific and often counter-intuitive set of actions may be needed to effect recovery. If the aircraft exceeds published limitations regarding spins, is loaded improperly, or if the pilot uses incorrect technique to recover, the spin can lead to a fatal crash. (Source)
So far this week has been "interesting" to say the least. I'm not getting a whole lot of sleep, not sure why, maybe I've been too excited about The Missus Herself returning home from California, maybe it's the high humidity we've been experiencing, maybe I'm just sick of being on my own for an entire month.

Then again, I have surgery scheduled for a week from today and that is always a morale booster. (Not!) But in essence, that opening cartoon describes my week pretty well, I'm in a bit of a spin. As long as I don't do anything grossly stupid, I'll pull out of it just fine.

(Source)
Of course, there's always the chance that cartoon #2 is in effect. In which case I might be fire trucked, though I doubt it. The past month has been anything but smooth.

So just a short post, more tomorrow (I hope) but for now you should go to the source link for those cartoons. Some interesting F-104 stuff. Well, interesting to me anyway. As I write this I am still a few hours away from picking up mama from the aeroporto, as you read this, well, she's already home.

Until tomorrow then...

At the Smithsonian - YF-104A, AF serial no. 55-2961, NASA aircraft number 818 was flown by NASA for 1,439 flights
between 27 August 1956 and 26 August 1975.
(Source)




* There's that word again, "normal."

22 comments:

  1. Execute the boldface.

    THROTTLE -- IDLE
    RUDDER/AILERONS -- NEUTRAL
    MAMA -- PICK UP FROM AIRPORT

    I'll bet you're both enjoying the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovered on board just after midnight. Crew is happy, Yours Truly is happy.

      And yes, it's also Friday. (Picture me with a big sh!t eating grin...)

      Delete
  2. Don't forget--STICK-FORWARD
    then MAMA--PICK UP FROM AIRPORT

    Otherwise, you ride the stalled aircraft all the way to the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spin recovered. Mama recovered.

      I am a happy camper today.

      Delete
  3. My Dad, an amateur pilot of a one engine plane, told me about spins. Apparently in the early days of flying a spin was considered fatal with no way out until someone decided that to get out of a spin you need to do the exact opposite of what your brain tells you to do, push the nose toward the ground instead of pulling up. Not sure how true all this is, but imagine the balls of the first guy that said "I'm going to put it in a spin on purpose...watch, I'll prove it!" Of course in those days and today any pilot needs balls or whatever is the lady equivalent.

    Welcome back Missus, and best wishes on a speedy recovery from your procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh, the procedure you described is correct. You have to break the stall, because the aircraft is technically not flying. The pulling away from the ground is what is causing the stall, and the falling toward the dirt. The spinning is from the yaw, that's not what's going to kill you. Hitting the dirt is. I'm not sure that balls were involved on my first spin ride, but the ability to keep my lunch was a good thing to have.

      Delete
  4. Happy to read that the Missus herself is back home. My best thoughts will be with you for a speedy and full recovery from your procedure.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you have her back. Was the domicile in decent condition for her return?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't immediately complain. Perhaps she was just too tired.

      Then again, a tip for all you guys - if you clean the bathrooms and kitchen but forget to polish the faucets, guess what she will notice?

      When m'lady walked in, she did notice that the faucets were shiny. So I've got that going for me...

      Delete
  6. "...maybe I'm just sick of being on my own for an entire month..."

    That, in and of itself, will cause a minimal unbalance.
    All it takes afterward is a minor calamity to create a spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true.

      Every time I mention the whole bachelor thing, I do think of you and say a little prayer. Just so you know.

      Delete
    2. Well... the one thing I've got going for me is I have been a bachelor more than I was married.
      So experience counts for somethin'

      Delete
  7. That brought back some memories. I still remember the boldface for the s-3 Viking for a spin. I haven't thought about it for a good 12 or 13 years but it came back like I've been reviewing the boldface every day.

    Controls neutralize
    Throttles to idle
    Speed brakes and flaps retract
    Stick full forward with the turn needle Rudder full opposite turn needle
    When angle of attack stabilizes, recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juvat has mentioned once or twice that he remembers the bold face procedures as well.

      I guess when your life depends on it, it kinda sticks with you.

      Delete
    2. One thing the military does well is train. That's for sure.

      Delete
    3. Training is good, when it's done right.

      The military does it right.

      Delete
    4. Yes. I'm rereading a Martin Caidin book, " Ragwings and Heavy Iron " and he says the same thing.

      Paul L. Quandt

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.