Saturday, August 19, 2017

Enough


I've had enough of the world for one week.

John in Philly has sent me some lovely photos of his from the Air Force Museum. I plan to spend a couple of days going through those and work them into a post. Or two.

I'm tired of the insanity. I'm ready for whatever the world sends my way, but I'm tired of fretting and writing about it.

So I may go sinker for a day or more. I am weary and don't feel much like writing at the present.

This isn't goodbye, it's see you later.

Hell, it might be see you tomorrow, I really don't know.

I need to breathe...

If

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you; 
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise; 

If you can dream- -and not make dreams your master; 
If you can think- -and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build'em up with worn-out tools; 

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings,
And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on! '

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings- -nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And- -which is more- -you'll be a Man, my son! 

- Rudyard Kipling



38 comments:

  1. One of my favourite Kipling pieces. I read that for encouragement, and always pale at one particular spot.

    Take a break, chance of pace, R&R, decompress. I need that every so often. A bit of range time always puts things in perspective down this way. Or even watching the thermometer drop below a 100 stinking degrees around 8pm can be fun. Anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on taking a bit of a sabbatical. Not sure for how long.

      This is starting to feel like a chore. I need to relax.

      Delete
  2. Sticking my head in the sand for a bit as well. May be back, may not. Even my silliest most innocuous posts get venomous political commentary, even when I specifically request no political commentary. For now I'm done. Apparently I am a racist bigot hater...who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Free advice, for what that is worth. Don't beat yourself up for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear what you're sayin' ... know whatcha mean ... and I only deal in Stuff 'n Nonsense.
    Shake it off and kick back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your stuff coming, your place has become one of the highlights of my day.

      Delete
  5. It's frustrating when folks read stuff that isn't there.
    The other day I commented on a post about how folks read and interpret books.
    Someone in a follow-up comment went off on me about a book I have not even read.
    There are trolls out there whose only goal is to stir a fight.
    What bothers me most is that I want to react physically.
    I have to walk zway when such situations arise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs..."
    All the more timely, considering the battle with ISIS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go horseback riding for a day. All day long.

    It will be an enjoyable experience, and the pain in your ass and thighs will hold your attention for a few days, at least.

    Maybe some nice posts on base life and other fun things in the world once you get back?

    Take care of yourself and your lovely wife. Eat some good food, putter around the garden, tinker with your favorite toys. You've earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shall miss your daily dose of wisdom, but I understand your need to get away from it for ( I hope ) a ( short ) while. I'll be checking in here daily so that I will know when you return. Thank you for putting up with the s**t for us who appreciate you.

    Paul L. Quandt

    P.S. Thanks for the kind words yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a short break. I need to regroup and re-energize.

      Delete
    2. Texas Tech had a cannon they fired and a horse they galloped on a track around the field after a touchdown. Back in the 60's or so, a referee mistook the 5 yard line for the goal line. When the running back crossed it, he threw up his hands, the cannon went off and the horse and rider tore around the field.... only, the running back got tackled just before really scoring. The ref sauntered over to the coach and said, "I made a mistake, I'm gonna talk to you for a while, that'll give your guys a chance to remount and reload!"

      Enjoy your rest!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha! Great story! (That ref was premature, but covered it well.)

      I'll be back. (Said in a non-Terminator sort of voice...)

      Delete
  9. PLQ nailed it.
    I am not sure that I have told you enough that I realize how much skill and hard work you put into the blog.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The deer here ate every single sunflower. Damned deer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Relax, and know that you are God. i liked that
    I think it's counterpart was, be still and know that you are God.

    I don't do it anymore. I did it every single day. I walked down Grape St along Harbor Drive, out to Tom Hamm's Lighthouse every single night at around midnight. I had no fears back then. I was the most dangerous thing in the valley. It was 5 mile tramp. It was just what I needed to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.

      Yes, walking at night in some parts of this country is actually less safe than some parts of the Third World. Then again, certain parts of this country are now part of the Third World.

      Delete
  12. New interesting item on Slashdot.org. indy was found, Paul Allen is filming it. Neat. It is down on the page, near bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. finally we got sunflowers, planted them in the yard and the very next night a deer came along at ate them. clearly, you have done something about your deer. What was it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very large dog that lives next door. He makes the deer nervous.

      He has no effect on the rabbit population though. They ate most of the lettuce this year.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.