Saturday, August 5, 2017

Ode to Joy*


Once upon a time, when I was but a lad, we were vacationing in the lovely state of Maine. In Wells, Maine to be precise.

The place we stayed is no longer there, at least not as it was. It was a motel, cabin, sort of camp ground affair. Not on the beach, in fact it was about a mile back from the coast. You could see the ocean and smell the intertidal zone, what some (and I was one back in the day) call the "smell of the ocean," but what is really the smell of where the land and the sea meet.

When we weren't down at the beach we were running about the grounds of the place. It had a great lawn, trees, and was a lovely, rustic place. I loved the feel of being near the sea. While it would have been nice to be right down there on the beach, such things were well beyond my parents' means. But we had fun. Every summer we went to Maine, usually for just a weekend.

A dream was born on those lazy summer days near the sea. I was determined, someday, to live in a place like that.

Today as I walked down the driveway to get the mail, I was nearly overwhelmed with emotion, a feeling of utter joy ran through my entire being. I remembered that dream (which I do every year, every summer) of living near the sea.

The wind was just right, I could smell that scent from my youth, coming from the salt marshes not far from where I live. Less than a mile really. While I can't see it from the house, I see it everyday going to and from work. Salt water, seagulls, the mournful sound of the buoys out on the bay at night. My dream has come true.

I live near the sea, and I cherish that. More than I could have dreamed as a child.

It's beautiful here.









My home lies on Bristol Neck, we are surrounded on three sides by water. Not far to the south and to the southeast lies the mighty Atlantic. I work on an island. Wow, my dream came true. I am blessed.



And that's some lovely music right there. A favorite of mine.





* With apologies to Ludwig.

30 comments:

  1. Childhood memories are great and hopefully most of us have good ones and you are correct, it is beautiful there. On my bucket list if I can get Kendy healthy enough to travel is to tour New England. Especially in the fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's important to find a place where every morning is poetry and the sun comes up like the thunder of an unfinished symphony - inspiring you to do and love and to complete it. So much of life is lived out of necessity that people forget that such places and situations are not only possible, but are to be sought with all diligence. I realize that it's a state of mind, but being where you want to be makes it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed blessed.
    My daughter, when she first saw the Pacific ocean said..."Is this the last rinse?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy is good! We have to be productive, else we'd be lotus eaters, but nature can pack a lot of joy into a very small interval.

    I miss the sea. However, I'm in the middle of what was once, 100 million years ago, a great inland sea. In that sense I live on the sea bed. Which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the doldrums are long gone. Hooah. Here's a toe tapper to help brighten your day.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvKyBcCDOB4

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the ocean cures everything. When ever I had an ache or pain, when down at the shore, my grandma would just say "stick it in the ocean!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does!

      (Especially in Maine, if you dip your foot in the ocean it will go numb in a matter of seconds. Or so I recall.)

      Delete
  7. You do indeed live in a beautiful place. Thank you for the photos and especially for the video clip.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to spread joy when I can.

      I love the 9th.

      Delete
  8. Love the kids "conducting" in that video. One of my favorite pieces of music also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarge, in the picture with the white bridge, is that boy micturating on the head of that duck?
    Inquiring minds want to know!
    BTW, that flash mob is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis a trick of perspective. He's actually about two feet behind the bird.

      Heh.

      Yes, I loved that flash mob.

      Delete
    2. It's a flash orchestra.

      Delete
  10. The music player in my head started Ode to Joy as soon as I read the title.

    And I spent some time on YouTube listening to different artists and instruments. (including a short video of Beaker of the Muppets)

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. (Oddly enough when I see "Ode to Joy" written down, I always here the opening lyrics sung in German.)

      Delete
  11. RHT447:

    Thank you for the link. Was not previously aware of that gentleman. My life is richer for the experience of listening to him.

    Paul L. Quandt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,

      My pleasure. Glad you liked it. I'm generally not a fan of "remakes" as I find most of them to be diluted versions of the original. However every now and then I am pleasantly surprised. Not to hijack Sarge's blog, but here are two more---

      This guy just nails this classic. He adds a touch of darkness to just the right notes to give grace and power. (Yeah, his choice in jewelry is a bit much, but what a voice.)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg

      This one needs no comment. I doubt there was a dry eye in the house.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idh92r_ctPc

      Delete
    2. As anyone who has seen the Beatles movie HELP! can tell you, Beethoven's 9th Symphony makes tigers drowsy.

      Delete
    3. Scott - I'm guessing the tiger had got into the Guinness before George and Ringo fell through the trap door.

      So he was already a bit groggy.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.