Monday, August 19, 2024

JBC*

 Ok, campers, I'll get to the meaning of the cryptic title to this post in a paragraph or two.  I stumbled upon a source a couple of days ago that brought laughter to my belly and tears to my eyes, but more on that a little later.

First and foremost.  Mrs J had a follow up with her surgeon a week or so ago.  Without going into the gory details, he said she looked free and clear.  But, he also said that he couldn't be very sure until a PET Scan was performed.  (Beans, PET is an acronym for Positron Emission Tomography.)  I'm not a Doctor, nor have I played one on TV, but he led us to believe that those results are very reliable, so "Nothing there" will be very good news.  We'll see.

Recovery wise, she's doing quite well, we even went to Church in my Truck this morning.  She hadn't been able to get up into it since surgery.  I think that capability returned with a view of the underside of a Buck crossing at her car's windshield height from right to left within about a foot off the glass as we drove down the road to our house, a couple of days ago.  She let out a rather loud, "Look Out" as it came into my field of vision.  I was quite excited also.  There might have been a couple of not safe for work words spoken, during and shortly after, by yours truly.  He cleared the vehicle without a scratch and now that I have tested her brakes, I'm very confident they are in good shape.  We also had a discussion of why I liked taller cars.  She had no problem climbing into the truck this morning.

Thank you Lord!

She has been getting quite a bit of nappage daily which leaves me with a bit of time on my hands, and even as good as she's doing, I'd rather be close by to assist if and as needed.  So...I was fooling around the internet, seeing what's out there and got to wondering, what with all the changes in the Air Force (and other branches) lately, if the squadrons I'd belonged to were still around.  

 

Source

The basis for this research project was reading that the 12TFS, which I'd written about here, had been disbanded.  That was a bit of a hard swallow on reading that.  So, I wondered if...

Prior to the 12TFS, I had been an instructor in the 435 TFTS (tactical fighter training squadron) at Holloman AFB, NM.I found out that the squadron is still active and performing the same mission at Randolph AFB in San Antonio.  Good on 'em.

Source


 

The assignment prior to that was to the 69TFS at Moody AFB, GA.  

Source

 

That was an F-4E squadron that was part of President Reagan's early 80s "Rapid Deployment Force".  We were expected to be able to deploy a squadron anywhere in the world on very short notice, (I think it was 48 hours, could be wrong).  And Fight when we got there. Needless to say we did a lot of deploying, quite frequently to Wendover AB, Utah to participate from a bare base in Red Flag Exercises.  Suffice it to say, I was a lot better at doing Fighter Pilot "things" when I PCS'd from that assignment than when I arrived.

Source

 

But, my first operational assignment was a short tour remote to Kunsan AB on the ROK.  Myself and another Pilot (I'll call him "Al") from my F-4 Replacement Training Unit arrived from Luke AFB in the first week of December.  (Yes, Beans, in Korea).  Cold?  Nah, cold is warm compared to the air temp stepping out of the C-141 on the Kunsan ramp in December.  It took me til the end of my 1 year tour to warm back up.

But, I was assigned to the 80TFS.  Also known as "The Juvats".  All the rest of the front seaters in the squadron were Captains and above.  Many had participated in the SEA festivities, so when they talked about how to do things, we listened.  Closely.

Great assignment, no distractions, good flying areas.  Learned a lot about a lot of things in that year.  

Source

 

But, juvat, what did you do for entertainment there.  Well, there was the movie theater with very old movies.  Or there was the Officer's Club.  The Club had two long tables, one for each squadron and a bunch of 4 tops scattered around the rest of the dining room for other folks.  Suffice it to say that if you weren't a member of the Squadron, you didn't sit at "our" table.  Again, learned a lot listening to the stories at the table.

But, "The Juvats" had another aspect of entertainment called the "Juvat Boys Choir".  It was composed of about 15 pilots/WSOs, most of whom were unmarried (you'll understand why shortly).  The Juvat Boys Choir provided the entertainment for official and semi-official dinners.  That entertainment revolved around singing.  Al and I had been on station for about a month when we were invited to become members of the JBC.  We accepted.

We, the choir leadership, generally stole the music from some song we liked and adapted the lyrics so they referred to the reason for the party, people PCS'ing home, or maybe, someone who had done something stupid, on the ground or in the air.  You know, poke a little fun at somebody and they generally try harder not to be mentioned in the next round.  Even the Squadron Commander (at the time his call sign was "JayBird") wasn't safe from being in a song.  

But...we were very careful about that.  He carried a very big sack of bad/not fun things that could be assigned as additional duty for a Fighter Pilot/WSO who had annoyed him.

It was fun, a lot of laughing, and yes, some alcohol was consumed.

Enough background, where are we going with this, juvat?

In my "who's still around" web research, I entered the name of the 80TFS, aka Juvat.

The first response was "The Juvat Boys Choir".  Good to be famous, I guess.

In any case, here's a pretty good and to be expected example of the Fighter Pilot Song genre, even if it is from the "Lawn Dart" generation of Juvats.


 

If you're interested in listening to more Juvat Fighter Pilot songs (note the capital J), here's the site.  A word of caution, many of these songs are "Not safe for Work", "Not safe for Kids", "Not safe for...".  Heck, they were written by Fighter Pilots for Fighter Pilots on a Remote Air Base with not a lot to do for entertainment.  What did you expect?

 Peace Out, y'all!

*Juvat Boys Choir


38 comments:

  1. Well now, prayers out for that clear PET. Also I'm seeing slight modifications to the car, inspired by the Road Warrior, perhaps a bit of angle iron, a little barbed wire, some might consider it a bold move........ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon,
      Thanks.
      I think I'd prefer a 20MM Gatling gun turret mounted in the roof. Lots of options there. Deer? Squeeze and release, instant deer sausage. The numb nuts that pull out in front of you without enough room? Squeeze just enough to get the barrels spinning, watch them pull into the next service station to change their pants. See, lots of options.
      juvat

      Delete
    2. Good to hear about Mrs. Juvat's recovering! Praying for a good PET report. About deer, soon after arriving in Tennessee from So. Cal. (where you COULD actually see a deer...maybe) it became VERY obvious that the local dear were either DARE DEVILS or suicidal, still not sure. Found out about Deer Horns you mount to the front of your vehicle. They work, unless you're going under 40ish. After installing, I only had one incident, around a curve that was too slow for air flow to active the horn. Fortunately, my still good reflexes and the deers robustness resulted in him getting away from a low speed contact with his left hip. Knocked him down, had trouble getting up, briefly, got up with a huge limp, briefly, walked it off, quickly, then jumped over the fence and ran away. The wife and I were SO happy. It immediately flashed through my head that I was gonna have to dispatch this perfectly fine buck and stick him in the back of my ancient Toyota pick up. That time it was better to be lucky and good.
      Pretty sure my 2.5 years with the 419 TFTS, F-105s, '70-'72, McConnell was a little less fun and exciting. Being a Crew Chief was a great job.

      Delete
    3. Tree Mike,
      I would say that McConnell with that airplane and that time frame would be a lot less fun. Those guys knew where they were going on graduation and had a pretty good idea by that time what it would be like. Given that, it takes a lot of cojones to stay with the program and graduate. Those LT's would become my Captain IP's when I came through F-4 School. They taught me a lot based on their lesson's learned.
      juvat

      Delete
  2. Here's praying everything's clear as a bell with continued good recovery
    TNX 4 the choir music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boron,
      Prayers are always appreciated, thanks.
      My pleasure. I still remembered some of the choruses in some of the songs. The lyrics themselves were usually episode specific.
      Thanks
      juvat

      Delete
  3. And to add to the old home week… those F-15s are flying over my old home the Midway although that would be after I had moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Didn't know that, thanks. That flyover was before my time, but not by much.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. Love the JBC. The 12th being disbanded? Further proof that the shoe salesman at the Five Sided Puzzle Palace have no respect for tradition.

    It is to weep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarge,
      The JBC was a lot of fun and took a bit of stress off the "Gang".
      Unfortunately, the 12th was disbanded in 2007, so been a while. Great Squadron.
      Agreed, "It is to weep!"
      juvat

      Delete
  5. Wonderful news about Mrs. J and thanks for sharing. Prayers still up!

    The JBC sounds endlessly amusing.

    Not that it has near the sense of tradition, but I bitterly laugh that most of the companies I have worked for over my career have either completely disappeared or been bought out and merged with another company. Way of the world likely; other than some differing types of gear from companies that no longer exist, nothing but memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THBB,
      Thanks, much appreciated.
      Yeah it was a lot of fun and helped the squadron bond together. Meant a great deal to me as a first tour guy. Learned an awful lot and that is why I chose my little "j" juvat as my "nom de plume" for this blog.
      My other squadrons were, more or less, similar, but not quite on par with my first.
      The transition from a flying organization to a staff one was eye opening to say the least. The transition from USAF to Teacher, even more so.
      juvat

      Delete
  6. Love that Eagles over Midway shot- I hope that left wing broke at the bow and did a T&G. The drinking songs remind me of so many NSFW skits during Foc'sul follies. It also reminds me of the time the yellow sea was socked in...I may have told you about the Wolfpack hosting half the airwing in Kunsan. If not, lemme know.

    So happy for Mrs. J and answered prayers, (that have continued unabated since first notice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and for the deer, maybe there's some sort of sonic deterrent you can mount on your vehicle as you drive your property. They seem to have a death wish, or are on retainer from a local body shop.

      Delete
    2. Deer whistles, it's actually a thing. They mount in the front of your car (I'm not clear on the details). My body shop told me (after I hit a deer) of such a thing. I asked if they worked, lady said they'd never had a car come in with damage from a deer-auto collision that had one. Then she smiled, "Never had one come in for repairs."

      Delete
    3. Tuna,
      Pretty sure the Midway's Captain wouldn't approve of a Touch and Go. Even more sure our Wing Commander would execute the pilot on sight if he did so. OK slight exaggeration. but I'm positive the pilot would be grounded for quite a while.
      juvat

      Delete
    4. Tuna (2)
      Sarge is correct. They're available down here. I don't have them as the folks I've asked say they're not real reliable. They've had them on and still hit deer. Kinda the proving that something didn't occur because something that was being used prevented it conundrum.
      juvat

      Delete
    5. Maybe one of these then! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

      Delete
    6. Tuna (3)
      HMMMMM!
      Wonder if it would work on the guy ahead of me doing 45 in a 70 on a two lane road who accelerates to 80 when he gets to a passing zone.
      juvat

      Delete
    7. That's gotta be within the ROE! It's hostile intent for sure.

      Delete
    8. Tuna,
      One would hope.
      juvat

      Delete
  7. Fingers crossed for a clear PET scan!! It's nice if the first one is clear...it's even better if the one 5 years down the road continues with the clear reading!! Continuing the prayers!!!
    Deer...definitely no bueno to be testing the strength of your windshield...been there, done that...NOT recommended AT ALL! For either the deer, or the windshield. Glad the car passed the emergency brake test. And glad Mrs J is well enough to be able to climb up into a truck. Amazing what muscles are used to get into a truck...steps of some sort were required when my 2nd husband brought home the F-250...I'm of the vertically challenged type at 5'3"..
    And thank you for the smiles this morning when listening to the JBC...the lyrics aren't any worse then in many other "songs" that are played in public for some music genres, and they sounded pretty in tune!

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz,
      Thanks for the PET scan info, much appreciated.
      We worked pretty hard to make our "shows" entertaining. Lots of practice in our off time (which wasn't much).
      juvat

      Delete
  8. Drawdowns and just shutting downs. Too many storied units having their colors packed away, never to be seen again.

    I figured out that my dad's unit from Korea went from a tactical fighter bomber squadron to missiles to nothing over the years. Sad, very sad.

    Though in his days in Korea, at the airbase there was fighting mud or snow, trying to keep one's tent from sinking into mud or being crushed by snow, and blanket tossing drunk pilots or the squadron's monkey and dog. Or visiting other units. Sounds like, according to what you wrote, things got somewhat better when you were there, seeing as you seemed to have real buildings and not tents.

    Don't have much deer issues where I am, though those that I know living more country-like tend to have meat collection kits in their rides. Our much smaller deer than every one else's deer (our regular deer are tiny compared to yankee deer or western deer) can threaten a compact car, but pretty much everything larger than said compact cars are safe. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans,
      Yeah, no tents, the housing looked like mobile homes with lots of bedrooms, the latrines and shower were in the middle. Good enough, not great.
      juvat

      Delete
  9. Many thanks that Mrs J continues on positive trajectory, and prayers for continued success.

    Yeah, those Bambies are a hazard best avoided, as Sarge proved. Not sure if the whistles are a solution or merely a talisman but cheap and easy so why not?

    Us sailors feel your "past commands not around any more" in a much more personal way. Our ships were more than just a job, or place to live and work. They still exist in our imaginations and memories.
    John Blackshoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JB,
      Thanks, much appreciated.
      Agreed on the deer. I suppose you're right about the deer whistles. Think I'll do it for Mrs J's car.
      I can see your point about ships. Feel somewhat similar about "MY" airplanes, the ones with my name on the canopy rail.
      juvat

      Delete
  10. Deer whistles sold at wally for $5.98. That was the price I paid when I bought another car last summer. Do they work? Always have for me and someone said but not all the time. That means some of the time. So I'll play the odds and at least try. So happy for Mrs J. but still praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon,
      Thanks. Yeah $6 is worth the try. Can't be any worse than nothing at all.
      Appreciate the prayers, thanks.
      juvat

      Delete
  11. Crusty Old TV Tech here.
    On the subject of USAF musical groups, an old Prairie Submarine driver (AKA Minuteman Crew Dog) friend of mine introduced me to The Groobers https://www.last.fm/music/THE+GROOBERS
    Seems they were a Pocket Rocket bunch that put together a folk-ish group for one Olympic Arena, and the rest was history. The Ballad of Mean Gene is nowadays NSFW, but back in the 70's, was not. Still brings joy to my heart to hear "...and Standboard weenie crews!..."

    Of course, there were the ultimate NSFW "Grody Jodies" of my youth and college days. Ah, North Atlantic Squadron.

    You've got some fine departed units from your USAF days, does bring a lump to the ole throat when the colors get cased for the last time. However, how many Majcom's have you had deleted? Here's Crusty's count:

    ATC - Well, renamed, but no longer the Toy Company
    AFCC - Ye Olde Confusion Command, long gone
    AFSC - Systems Command, gone
    AFSpC - SPACE command, now part of some Star Trek wannabe org (you kids get off my console!)

    And as for units, NONE of my USAF units exist any more.

    3397 SchS, gone
    485th EIG, gone
    1st Manned Spaceflight Control Squadron, snif, gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend giving The Groobers a listen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfb7Zsqdaqg

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sarge! I stumbled across them 10+ years ago and have been trying to find the songs again. As a civilian, I admire how they endlessly waited patiently at their posts. Once at a Friends and Neighbors Day at GFAFB they had a training mockup of a Minuteman warhead bus on display (four MIRVs plus one riding in the bus). I was amazed at how small it was. That so much death could be packed into such a little package. The missilemen probably were the only ones in the USAF that never wanted to see their birds fly.

      Delete
    3. Sarge,
      Not bad, although I'm a bit biased towards the JBC for some reason.
      juvat

      Delete
    4. Don,
      I had similar thoughts when I first got qualified and sat alert. Those were one of the few times I didn't want to fly. But, yeah, smaller than I thought they'd be.
      juvat

      Delete
  12. Great news for her! And yes, 'bored' airdales need 'something' to do... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old NFO,
      Thanks, Yeah, "Idle Hands" and all that.
      juvat

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.