![]() |
| Source |
Now as a callow youth I could get by on nothing but meat and potatoes, as I age though, my body lets me know that it needs other things, roughage comes to mind. No need to get into any sordid details there, suffice to say, we were lacking in that area.
So ...
(Caveat: if you've a mind to give me advice in the comments about diet, exercise, vitamins, blah, blah, blah ... Hold your water, I'm too set in my ways to change now. So if I start seeing comments to that effect, don't be surprised if they get deleted. Share your own experiences if you will, but bear in mind, I'm set in my ways and I'm grumpy as hell without my better half around. Her return will do me a world of good, I, and by extension you, must be patient until she does.)
Anyhoo.
So Monday night I'm thinking about eating, gave a thought to going out to do so, but I haven't gone out to a dining establishment by myself in a very long time. Hated that back in my single days, I'm sure I still hate it. So it was get take-out or get delivery. Take-out would require going forth into the waning daylight, dealing with traffic and, what is sometimes worse, dealing with people. Don't get me wrong, I get along fine with most folks, but there are days I'd rather not have to do so.
So delivery it was. Pizza? While I do love pizza, getting even a small one means eating pizza a few days in a row. Or throwing out whatever is left over.
Whilst perusing the Domino's menu (hold your water, I LIKE Domino's) I thought about one of their "not bad" sandwiches. But those are hit or miss, did the kid loading it into the oven plan to pull it out on time? Or would it arrive rather too crispy like the last one did?
That's when I did a double take as I scrolled ...
Salads? Domino's has salads?
Why yes, yes they do.
They have a classic garden salad and they have a chicken Caesar salad (in my area, their website speaks of a third type we don't have here). As tomatoes and I do not get along (it's the seeds man, my colon cannot abide them) so I went with the chicken Caesar. I was also desiring the protein. I'm an omnivore leaning towards the more carnivorous aspect of that diet. So, I ordered it and was prepared to be, well ...
Underwhelmed springs to mind. However ...
The salad arrived, I noted that it was prepared by an outfit called Ready Pac Foods, Inc. and came with all the necessary things to build a chicken Caser salad. Each component had it's own packaging so that things weren't all jumbled up, soggy, what-have-you.
The lettuce was crisp and tasted very fresh, after adding the chicken, the croutons, and the shredded parmesan, I pulled out the salad dressing packet. Ken's Foods, LLC, a brand I've had before and found to be most satisfactory and rather tasty.
All told, it was a most excellent salad. And filling as well. I had ordered a sandwich as well (chicken bacon ranch if you must know) and as I ate my salad with relish, I looked at the sandwich and said (out loud, with me in the house all alone), "Poor thing, I don't really need you, do I?" (Spoiler alert, I saved it for later, wished at that time that I had another salad.)
So later in the week, that would be Wednesday, when I went to the food emporium to procure my rations, I looked up beforehand whether or not the store had some sort of pre-packaged salad thingamabob, now that I knew such a thing existed.
Lo and behold, they did, bought three of 'em I did (on sale they were).
As I left the store, feeling rather proud of myself, I realized that I had voluntarily sought out and purchased something healthy to eat. There's a first, right there.
When telling The Nuke about how impressed I was she asked me about the dressing, I said something to the effect of, "It comes with its own package of Caesar sauce."
That last word hung in the air for a moment before I corrected myself and said, "I mean Caesar salad dressing ..."
Alas, I was too late, The Nuke was laughing hysterically on her end and I had to chuckle myself.
Caesar sauce, I kinda felt like Paulie Walnuts in The Sopranos when they go to Italy and Paulie keeps referring to the pasta sauce as "gravy." (Which a friend of mine assured me that that's what it's called in New Jersey, gravy, not sauce. Live and learn.)
So that was my big adventure this week, salad quest. Last week it was new socks, this week it was going forth to purchase salad. The old dog learned a new trick.
Simple things, gotta love 'em.

I merely note that plums and pears are in season, provide good fiber, and are on sale at this time of year!
ReplyDeleteDidn't see those at the market, of course, I wasn't looking either.
DeleteAye Sarge, never too old to learn something new......attaboy!
ReplyDeleteOne learns, slowly, but it happens from time to time.
DeleteMy thought when I saw the photo was, "Someone bought a salad kit!"
ReplyDeleteLove those things, especially the numof varieties. You can experiment with new flavor combinations without buying 6 ingredients that you'll use twice a decade.
Why buy a kit when you can buy the completed thing?
Delete"and came with all the necessary things to build a chicken Caser salad. Each component had it's own packaging so that things weren't all jumbled up, soggy, what-have-you."
DeleteThat's a kit and why you buy a kit rather than pre-made salads.
Ah, I see your point.
DeleteI recommend Salad niçoise. We first had it in Paris, sitting in front of ... but you know the rest of the cliché..
ReplyDeleteI do like Caesar Salad but no chicken please. I largely avoid chicken unless it's drenched in my wife's tarragon sauce.
Sounds delicious, unfortunately, I can't do tomatoes.
DeleteWe eat salads quite often down here this time of year. Easy to make, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. We do add proteins fairly regularly ,cubed ham, leftover steak, hard boiled eggs etc, just to make it a complete meal. However, your picture looks quite delectable so "Good on ya, Mate!
ReplyDeletejuvat
Sometimes a salad is just the thing. The Missus Herself makes killed salads, usually with hard boiled eggs and chicken liberally mixed in.
DeleteA grocery store rotisserie chicken and a Caesar salad in a bag is always a good choice in my world.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a rice cooker, one measure of rice, one measure of salsa in a jar, one measure of frozen vegies and two measures of water, stir-cover-hit the go button. When it's done add some not raw meat/protein (left over chicken works). Stir and eat.
For something really different show up at an AF base chow hall for a meal.. I have to admit that the closest I've gotten to that since I retired was eating at a military hospital, still a great breakfast!
It does sound like you are having fun with your food! That's a good thing :-)
Unfortunately, and for reasons I can't explain, I can't abide rotisserie chicken. It tastes weird to me.
DeleteMy Italian American friends call it gravy in Philly as well. Forget about it.
ReplyDeleteWell there ya go!
DeleteI like salad, but I am not someone who makes it just for me. I buy carrots, bell peppers in various shades, and cucumbers and slice those up, but I just can't seem to make "salad." Always eat it if I happen to be eating out, which is pretty rare. I get the huge bag of frozen veggies, and cook some of those. The bag lasts me a month or so if I get 2 or 3 and rotate them around.
ReplyDeleteWhat I was surprised to find at the supermarket was small bags of sauerkraut and small bags of kimchi in the produce section. Which I am sure is not as good as what your wife makes, however, I am an uneducated Scots-Irish Swedish type, and thought it tasted all right. I have been adding it into things like eggs and over chicken. My gut has been much happier with something fermented in it on a semi-regular basis.
And those pre-made salads can be very tasty!!
In addition to the pears that Mark mentioned, fresh apples are now coming into season as well. Which reminds me, I should make a pie.
Suz
There's an Italian restaurant we go to with friends on occasion (way over in Cranston) where the food is very good. However, the salad is to die for, it's that good.
DeleteSarge, we seem to have discovered bagged salads about two years ago, along with the move to New Home 2.0. while initially I groused a bit internally about "buying a salad when we could just get the fixings", I confess I am now a complete convert. They are convenient, pretty tasty, can either be a main course (full bag) or side (half bag), and can be eaten alone or garnished with protein. And while every company seems to have the same stable of regulars - Caesar, Southwestern, Asian - they all also have individual ones that can be quite tasty; last night, for example, we had "Smoked Cherry and Bacon" which was really delicious.
ReplyDeletePlus, if I am home alone, I can get two meals out of one. So the parsimonious side of me is still happy.
THBB,
DeleteYeah, we've pretty much converted to bag salads also. As you said "Tasty and convenient". Highly recommended and flexible in fixing up with other additions.
juvat
TB - Yes, bagged salads are what we use when we're both at home.
Deletejuvat- Great minds ...
DeleteI have grown to enjoy salads very much- the more stuff the better- cranberries, croutons, tortilla strips, pecan or walnut pieces, mandarin slices, sunflower seeds, sliced grapes, and some sliced freshly grilled chicken breast (not all of those in the same salad of course), all make it a tasty, colorful, textured meal which helps me enjoy it. - Tuna
ReplyDeleteActually all of those in the same salad seems pretty good!
Delete