Sunday, August 10, 2014

Back to Mystic


A bit thinner on the ground than our first gathering, but good company nonetheless.

Padre Harvey (that's him with the Shakespeare's shirt) was in town for another round of training before heading off to Texas for a new job. Sandy Eggo won't be the same without the padre around.

Marcus Erroneous, of Shots from the hip, and his lovely wife joined us for this go-round. Seems they've moved away from the wilds of small town Vermont and now make their home much closer to Connecticut and the south coast of New England. In the semi-wilds of small town Massachusetts.

So there we were, The Oracle, Kris in New England, Your's Truly, The Missus Herself, Marcus, The Padre and Mrs Marcus. All gathered together in one of my new favorite places on the planet, The Harp and Hound in lovely downtown Mystic, Connecticut.

Over there, under the big yellow arrow, that's The Harp and Hound.
(No, the big yellow arrow is not there in real life.)   Google Street view
I've said it before, I'll say it again, the bangars and mash there are incredible. I'd drive over there just for those!

The Harp and Hound

So all of this occurred last Sunday, which may lead you to wonder why I'm posting about it, this Sunday. Lack of material Sarge? Forgot about it? Press of events?

Well, none of those really.

I always have a great time getting together with fellow Lexicans. Many of whom I had never met until meeting up at places like The Harp and Hound, or Shakespeare's (of course). Once we meet it always seems like I've known them my whole life. Common interests I suppose, common beliefs for sure.

Speaking of Shakespeare's that's the real reason I held off posting this until now. On Friday evening, there was a gathering at that marvelous pub in Sandy Eggo for to send off The Padre and his missus as they head off to Texas.

I had known of that event. (In fact I had been invited, but three thousand miles is a bit much to just "pop in." Though I would have were I a man of means.) So I thought that this post would rap up The Padre's grand tour. (In my mind anyway.) Soon he will be in Texas. A most beneficial addition to that fine state he will be! A Dieu Padre! (Yes, we will meet again.)

Note The Padre's t-shirt in the photo.

He was going to get a Harp and Hound t-shirt to wear at his party in Sandy Eggo. Unfortunately, the only color they had in his size was a powder blue number. Not exactly the color a Marine artilleryman turned Army chaplain would choose. And you can see that The Padre is a man of substance and gravitas. (You can see in the photo that I too am a man of substance, not much gravitas, but lots and lots and lots... Okay, we get the picture.)

I would have loved the symmetry of that. A Shakespeare's t-shirt here, a Harp and Hound t-shirt there. Next time, next time.

So that was last weekend.

If you're ever in New England, Mystic is a must visit. As is The Harp and Hound. Who knows, perhaps I'll meet you there for a pint? Or two.

This weekend I'm cutting the grass. Again.

Call me Sisyphus.

22 comments:

  1. (Big-ass sigh) There are drawbacks to living in the wlds o' New Mexico, one o' the biggest being the tyranny o' distance. Just sayin' "I'm with you in spirit" doesn't QUITE answer the mail.

    Nice pic of all y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd drive over there just for those"
    Is that level of sacrifice measured in Miles or Time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about an hour's drive, not bad really. Not much of a sacrifice for some very nice bangars and mash (of which I am an aficionado).

      Delete
    2. OK, I can live with an hour as a unit of measure. Those are pretty good Bangers and Mash then. Rough equivalent, driving to San Antonio for dinner.

      Delete
    3. Not to mention that Mystic is a very pretty town.

      Delete
  3. At least you won't have to cut the grass on New Years... :-) I seem to miss ALL the get togethers... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Though one year we had a guy mowing his lawn on Christmas Day! Sure the weather was mild but really?

      Delete
  4. It was another good time had by all, for sure. Great post Sarge - so good to see you and The Wife again. And Buck? Airplanes...just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris. I did read your post on this same topic, left a comment, comment apparently was eaten by the bit sharks.

      Still and all, it was such fun.

      Delete
    2. TSA? I'd rather drive. Now when I win the lottery and buy my own airplane, that's a different story.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, Buck has similar feelings regarding the TSA.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, Buck has similar feelings regarding the TSA.

      I do. But my feelings involve mayhem and a little (or a lot) of the ol' "Ultra-Vi" (see: Clockwork Orange).

      Delete
  5. Excellent Gathering.
    Buck, I can make Portales in a day.......................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. The Padre's shindig in Sandy Eggo also looked mighty fine.

      Of course, you guys did have The Hobbit in attendance. That's always special.

      Delete
    2. @ Glenn: The beer's cold and the humidor's fat. C'mon DOWN!

      Delete
    3. Oh oh. Better alert the media. And DHS. Sandy Eggo is still recovering from the last time Glenn hung out with an old AF MSgt.

      Just sayin'...

      Delete
  6. Well color me bummed. I didn't get an invite. OTOH, life is just a bowl of tears...or something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This meet up was rather last minute. On the other hand, I will now make it my personal mission to keep you in the loop Cap'n. As you're not that far away and you do get up this way often as I recall.

      Delete
  7. Better call Homeland Security. A more likely set of suspects would be hard to find.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.