Friday, August 8, 2014

Now Hear This...

An A-10C Thunderbolt II sits under a sun shade July 29, 2014, at Moody Air Force Base, Ga. The A-10’s primary weapon is a single
30mm GAU-8/A seven-barrel Gatling gun. It can also carry up to 16,000 pounds of mixed ordnance such as cluster bomb units,
joint direct attack munitions and AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Ryan Callaghan)
A close look at our opening photo shows the battered and scarred nose of a warrior's steed. The business end of an A-10 Warthog. (Officially speaking it's called the Thunderbolt II, for those who like keeping track of such things. [COUGH] Spill...)

A close look at my profile pic over yonder (--> that-a-way, then go south until you run out of real estate) and you might see the battered and scarred nose of an old sergeant. I was going to say warrior, but as I've never seen combat, that doesn't really apply. Though it does describe my mindset.

Another look over yonder and you might note that there is a new subcategory of links to blogs I tend to peruse. At least once a day. This new subcategory is called "To Fly and To Fight..." - an old Air Force motto which I still enjoy.

Someone, at some point in time, probably 2Lt Sumdood needing another bullet on his eval (BTW 2Lt Sumdood is not rated, i.e. cannot operate a military air machine) added "and Win." Making the motto, "To Fly, Fight and Win."

Well just friggin' "Duh" on the "Win" part. I mean was he (and it had to be a guy, women aren't that stupid) worried that some Eagle driver would get in a tussle with some gomer in a MiG and not try and win? Jeebers me Christmas, even Charlie Sheen gets that! (I think.)

Under that heading I've listed (and will add) what I consider to be "Air Force blogs." Not necessarily blogs about the USAF but blogs by former members of that exalted service.

Note there is a "new" one in that category (new to me anyway) and that's John Q. Public, definitely a USAF blog. Recommended by blog-buddy XBradTC, read it today for the first time. Made me pissed off at my old service. We have generals and commanding officers who would make the Byzantines ashamed. But then again, the good ones don't get much press. Only when they get relieved because some commander has no balls lost confidence in their abilities.

Sigh...

So yes, I'm still searching for a new "thing" to characterize the Chant du Départ. Juvat and Tuna add a metric-crap-ton (Navy term, or so The Nuke tells me, means "a lot") of value and lately I feel like I've been mailing it in. Lollygagging, drifting with the tide, you name it.

A friend suggested that a good source of photos which I already "own" (being a taxpayer) were available on the various military websites. So I will be tapping those sources from time to time.

And for what it's worth, while there are two old (as in "of vast experience") airmen contributing here (Juvat and I) there is also a venerable seadog who chimes in from time to time (Tuna). Always with good stuff. The both of them are as fine a pair of story-tellers as you'd like to meet.

Also there is the plain fact that within the family there are five, count them, five former and/or current Naval officers. From whom I get stories. Good stories.

So I can't call the Chant du Départ an "Air Force blog," too much sea-going stuff going on along with the aerial stuff (of the long runway variety).

Now back in my day, if you served in a command with multiple services (and/or nationalities) one was considered to be part of a "Joint" command. I had the honor of being a part of a Joint NATO command, a great time was had by all and upon retirement I was awarded one of these:
The Defense Meritorious Service Medal was established on Nov. 3, 1977, and is awarded to those members of the United States Armed Forces who have distinguished themselves by meritorious service or achievement while assigned to a joint activity and is usually awarded to those serving in leadership positions and performing exceptionally outstanding work.

Quite proud of myself I was (prouder still was I of the French cavalry saber given to me by my fellow NCOs!) So I do know a thing or two about being "Joint."

Just sayin'...

We have Air Force, we have Navy so yeah, we're Joint!
Maj. Blaine Jones, Thunderbird 5 and lead solo, pitches to land as Maj. Jason Curtis, Thunderbird 6 and opposing solo, waits clearance for his pitch
to land June 30, 2014, upon returning from a practice demonstration sortie at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. The Thunderbirds, flying red, white and blue
F-16 Fighting Falcons, are the Air Force’s precision flying demonstration team. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Larry E. Reid Jr.)
An MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter assigned to the Chargers of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 14 performs flight operations as the aircraft carrier
USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) departs Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam after participating in Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) Exercise 2014. RIMPAC is the world's largest
international maritime exercise and takes place in and around the Hawaiian Islands. (U.S. Navy photo by Ensign Joseph Pfaff/Released)
Yessir, we are indeed "Joint" - two or more services working together in absolute harmony.

After a fashion...

20 comments:

  1. Fight's on, Fight's on. Sarge is pitching back into the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all feel like we're mailing it in on occasion?
    That's why we write about the weather, food, and beer (some of us, anyway).
    It all brings to mind an old expression that I can't repeat here.
    So you'll have to use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinkin' "baffle" and "BS" come into play here. Just sayin'.

      Delete
    2. Skip - Weather, food and beer. Heh. I will go there from time to time.

      Delete
    3. Buck - I've been hanging out with naval types far too much, when I saw "baffle" my first thought was "Hhmm, in a sonar dead zone, what does he mean?"

      Then I hit the "BS" part, heh, okay now I get it.

      Me, bag o' hammers? Yup, there are some similarities there on some days. (ICSMFTH)

      Delete
  3. Someone, at some point in time, probably 2Lt Sumdood needing another bullet on his eval (BTW 2Lt Sumdood is not rated, i.e. cannot operate a military air machine) added "and Win." Making the motto, "To Fly, Fight and Win."

    Ah, Mission statements and mottoes. We've had fun with those over the years and one of our earliest posts (in December, 2005) was about USAF's "new" mission statement. A pox on those people who dream up this... ummm... "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, one of your classics.

      Mission statements suck, mottoes can be good. Mission statement smacks of the corporate world, I hate that "stuff."

      Delete
    2. "Mission statement smacks of the corporate world, I hate that "stuff."

      And that statement, my good friend whom I've never met, sums up exactly what is wrong with and what I hate about, the USAF.

      Delete
    3. We share that sentiment, my good friend whom I've not met yet. (But that will happen, someday...)

      Delete
  4. Did my "Joint Assignment" in Turkey during Provide Comfort. Flew with Navy, Marine, Army, and Air Force pilots and aviators. Was probably the only W.O. who reported to and signed for an aircraft under (then) MAC and designated FE/AC by USAFE. Good times! regards, Alemaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joint can be good. (Which means it can also be bad in some circumstances...)

      Delete
  5. Someone, at some point in time, probably 2Lt Sumdood needing another bullet on his eval (BTW 2Lt Sumdood is not rated, i.e. cannot operate a military air machine) added "and Win." Making the motto, "To Fly, Fight and Win."

    You put gold bars on the collar of "Sumdood"!!!!!!! Previously the only gold associated with him was in his "Grill". If his social elevation continues he will have actual aspirations of leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, read the John Q Public post, Dollars to Donuts, the LtCol in question was a well respected leader and probably a decent stick (yoke?). Thereby the wing king felt threatened. Or to put it in Vegas vernacular, the LtCol had gold stars, the Col had none. Hopefully, the LtCol took it to the Senator, in a Kamikaze attack on the Col, because as my old man told me right after he commissioned me. "You only get to fall on your sword once, make it a good one."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading about the LtCol in question, I was furious. Though I've seen it before, no doubt I'll see it again.

      Sounds like your Dad gave you some excellent advice.

      Delete
  7. Joint... LOL... Don't get me started... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The truest measure of a job well done is done by one's peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're the ones in the best position to know!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.