Sunday, August 31, 2014

Labor Day... Meh

Old-Time Labor Day parade in New York (Public Domain)
Will I enjoy the day off?

Of course I will.

Will I get excited as to the meaning of the day?

Here's what the Wiki has to say -
The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday: A street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations", followed by a festival for the workers and their families. This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the civil significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the Labor movement.
"Trade and labor organizations" just about says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against unions, I was once upon a time a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

A long, long time ago. And it's not like I had a choice in the matter.

But it all smacks too much of this -

(Public Domain)
The concept feels, I dunno, Soviet or Commie. So I don't get all excited about "Labor Day."

Call it a personal problem.


Doesn't faze me.

Meh.

But I will enjoy the day away from work.

Happy "Don't Have to Labor Day."

18 comments:

  1. Meh is spot on. I'll be celebrating by working. Wheels up at 1300, northbound. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's not one of the ones I get choked up about. Other than it officially means we're back at school. THAT can reduce a grown man to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right, school.

      The young'uns went back here in Little Rhody this past week.

      Delete
    2. Our kidlets have been back since August 11... most of 'em, anyway.
      Seems the districts can't seem to coordinate.

      Delete
    3. August 11th?!?

      Wow! When do they finish in the spring?

      Delete
    4. Odd that. I think around here they finish up in mid-June and start up the Wednesday before Labor Day.

      But geez, mid-August? I smell a great big Commie rat!

      Delete
  3. Agreed. I always thought it had a "May Day" or "Earth Day" vibe.
    Veteran's Day and Memorial Day have far more significant meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for celebrating working by not working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Then we'll celebrate you Cajun.

      Happy Old NFO Day! (Has a certain ring to it, doncha think?)

      Delete
  6. The only time I ever worked with a union was IBEW. I worked in the office, though. It was an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so you know of what I speak.

      Interesting describes it well.

      Delete
  7. Have a more slanted view of unions as one branch of the family tree was at Ludlow, CO. The same citizens that can't be bothered to get involved with their local governments, are the same union members that can't be bothered to get involved with their union.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to deal with the frickin' UAW when I lived in worked in Dee-troit. If there's ANYTHING that will sour you on unions, it's having to go one-on-one with the frickin' UAW. There used to be a place for unions and they served a purpose back around 1920 or so. Today? Their shelf life expired a long, long time ago.

    ReplyDelete