Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Miss Virginia Beach and Norfolk, Really, I Do!


From 2001 until 2012 the Missus Herself and I have made a number of trips to the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. Now with no kids stationed there, it's going to be a while before we go back. And that's a shame. I love that area of the world...

Town Center*
Virginia Beach
King Neptune*
Virginia Beach
USS Wisconsin
Downtown Norfolk

The Carriers
Norfolk

The Air Museum
Pungo

The Boardwalk
Virginia Beach

Main Gate
NAS Oceana

Gate 5
NS Norfolk

For eleven years we've been visiting the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. Sometimes we drove, sometimes we flew but upon arrival, we were with our children. And we always had a great time.

Now we have no one stationed at either Norfolk (where the Naviguesser and the Nuke were assigned at one time or another) or at Oceana (The WSO's old stomping grounds).

But someday we'll go back. I love that area too much to never return.

Of course, I never had to work in the area. And the kids drove me everywhere. I can see where driving I-264 everyday would challenge the patience of a saint.

And I'm no saint.


But still...



*Thanks Denise!

12 comments:

  1. I've never been there but I will be pretty soon, like this coming August. SN1's new duty station is Langley AFB, right up the road from all those Squids. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhhmm, the Nuke is moving to the Washington Navy Yard, SN1 in Langley. Buck, I'm thinking we need to arrange some sort of old AF MSgt reunion sometime in the near future.

      That would be epic!

      Delete
    2. SN2 is in DeeSee now... which is part of the reason I'll be goin' out that way in August. This is the first time the boys have ever been stationed in close proximity... if ya call two hours close. (I do.) I'll be splitting my time between Langley and suburban DeeSee (VA).

      But... as for yer original thought: Hell, yes. We're not even close to having dates yet, but I'll keep ya in the loop.

      Delete
  2. Trust me, being stationed there tends to 'change' one's attitude :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Naviguesser and the the Nuke would probably both agree. The WSO misses Oceana, a lot. I suppose it does depend a lot on the outfit you're assigned to.

      Delete
  3. Great pics, Sarge! Makes me want to go visit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it down there. Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  4. I've never been there, but I see, in the photo of the carriers, a softball field in the foreground. Good enough for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I just noticed that. Good eye Suldog, good eye!

      Delete
  5. I don't miss it at all and I spent 8 weeks living on the top floor of Station One condos on the boardwalk while going to missile school down the each. It's a terrible place to be stationed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many I have spoken to don't care for being stationed in the Norfolk/Va Beach area. In fact many hated their time there. I've had those types of assignments. But as a visitor, I loved it there.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.