Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Sixth of June

Two events which had a major impact on my life transpired on this particular day in June.
In 1928, my Dad was born. The man who gave me life and played a huge role in who I am.

Happy Birthday Dad!

Dad would have been 85 today.

The other event occurred in 1944. This event involved a group of men who also played a role in who I am today. They gave me the freedom to be myself, to aspire to be whatever I wanted in life.

D-Day, the invasion of Normandy.
Thank You Gentlemen,
For My Freedom

10 comments:

  1. My dad was born on June 12, 1928, in Chicago. I miss him lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall that our Dads were born within a week of each other. Small world.

      I miss my Dad a lot too.

      Delete
  2. Incredible what those men went thru on this day! Thanks for reminding me. I am ashamed that I needed to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel too bad Joe. There are quite a few people who would have absolutely no clue. You'd get a blank stare and a "What's D-Day?"

      And it was 69 years ago.

      Delete
    2. And it was 69 years ago.

      That shouldn't matter. There WAS a time when history was still taught in our schools but I fear that time has long since passed. But Hey! At least we're diverse now.

      Delete
  3. I miss my father a lot, too. Especially on days like today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post, and thankfully they DID the job!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.