Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Things I Think


I think about a lot of things. Here are some. And yes, this post will no doubt float hither and yon, never staying in one place very long. It shall be ephemeral. (Nope, sounds too bloody Elvish. Not that I've got anything against elves, per se, it's just that they're all so goody two shoes. That whole "Global Force for Good" thing sounds awfully Elvish.)

Speaking of service mottos, here's an article on the Air Force's motto. It's a two parter (the motto, not the article), combines the old one (from late in my day) "Aim High" with "Fly, Fight, Win". Those aren't bad. At least they don't sound, ya know, "Elvish".

Then there's this new blog I started following based on a recommendation from Angel,  I like the name (a lot) and he's got good stuff. Go check out Your Crazy Uncle Bubba. He's on something of a roll lately. (A 1000-hit day? Pretty good numbers.)

Okay, now for some actual "thoughts".

I think that we have been, as a people, lazy and uninformed over the past 15 to 20 years. I place a lot of blame on the Lame Stream Media for continuously pumping out crap over the air waves. It's all about ratings. There is no news anymore, just bread and circuses.

I think that 95% of politicians are swine. And I feel bad for saying that, I mean it insults the swine, doesn't it? A politician will lie, cheat, steal and generally be a cad just so that they can hold office. Why? I'm guessing when you have no talent or skill, that's the only legal way to make large sums of money. They rob us and we let them.

I am ambivalent about the designated hitter rule in the American League. I think it's a great way to keep an older ballplayer around who's not so great in the field anymore (say hi to David Ortiz). Whenever I feel that it's a dumb rule, I'll be watching a close National League game and the pitcher is up next. Who's having an incredible day on the mound but can't hit to save his life. Yeah, yeah, I know "think of the strategy involved" (actually I think that would be tactics). Even if it's not a close game, watching a pitcher at the plate is generally painful.

But I do remember watching the '86 Mets. Tie ballgame, Doc Gooden is pitching like his hair's on fire but it's late in the game, 2 outs and runners in scoring position. Yes, Doc hit a home run. A pitcher who could hit. I thought that was pretty awesome.

I think the whole sexual preference thing is all about attention getting and politics. I don't care who you sleep with as long as we're talking consenting adults. Stay out of my face about it. I. Don't. Care. And having a whole month to "celebrate" that nonsense? I think it's obscene. I'd think it was obscene if we had an appreciation month for the missionary position. So it's not an anti-gay thing. Oh, and gay means happy. Or I think it used to.

I think too many older people have either lost their sense of humor or never had one. Geez, lighten up Grampa. Look at the good stuff in life. I think the day I can no longer see the humor in things is the day the kids should put me in a home. (Not that they don't threaten me with that from time to time. I think it's funny. Or should I be worried?)

I think that some people have no business behind the wheel of a car. They don't pay attention, they don't know what they're doing and I think that 75% of the time they are "behind" the car. (As in the situation or events on the road are controlling things, not the driver.) Most bad situations I've seen on the highway involve piss poor situational awareness. (Or some ee-jit on a cell phone.)

I think kids don't get outside to play enough. Too many electronic gadgets. I don't blame the kids, I blame the parents. I think many people have as much business raising children as they do driving cars. (These may be the same set of people.)

I think puppies and kittens are cute.

I'm not sure if young babies should be in church. But sometimes they are way more interesting than the pastor. Definitely cuter.

I think we have a sinful nature. Then again, I don't really buy into that. I had a huge problem with organized religion when I was a teenager. I've been back in church now for 14 years (or so) and I'm starting to have huge problems with organized religion. Again. I see God everywhere. In the song of a bird. In the blue sky. In a baby's laugh. Everywhere. But sometimes I don't feel him there in church. I think that's odd.

There are days I think religion is about controlling people, not about worshiping God. But then the Missus Herself boots my butt out of bed with "you're going to church, quit whining and get ready, you lazy sod!"

I think that most people are good. Yes, there are some real ba$tards out there, but most folks just want to be left alone to do their thing. Governments attract pushy people, busybodies and a$$holes. Nobody wants that. Do they?

Well, I guess if they give away lots of free stuff, morons will always want that. What happens though when we run out of free stuff? In the old days you'd start a war, to take peoples' minds off their own troubles. Yeah, that works. Everyone is scared sh!tless that they'll have to go off and fight. Doesn't take your mind off your troubles, just gives you new troubles.

Anyway, that's some of the things I think.
Oh, and I think jets are awesome...

22 comments:

  1. I think you are 90% right, but the other 10% you are dead wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. You may be on to something there Joe. I think...

      Delete
  2. I've always opined that folks should vote for the candidate with whom they most agree, regardless of party affiliation. In almost all instances, I'm fairly certain I'd end up voting for you if you were running.

    (I think that's a compliment. I meant it that way, in any case.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always vote for the candidate, not the party. Of course, lately it's been slim pickings either way.

      And I will take that as a compliment. And ditto, to return the favor as it were.

      Delete
    2. Slim... for sure.
      The really bright ones don't want to go anywhere near the asylum.

      Delete
  3. "I think too many older people have either lost their sense of humor..."

    Older than what... er who?



    I think you're onto something about organized religion.
    There are far too many churchgoers who are into judgement, rather than forgiveness.
    They need to look at themselves first.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.

      Good point. Gotta look at yourself first.

      Delete
  4. As for people being lazy etc,lets blame the lawyers for helping to create a 'victim' mentality in USA, as in 'if something happens it couldn't be your fault and someone should pay, there is no accountability. The '86 World Series....oh oh oh...please I've suffered enough as a Red Sox fan, I watched that fateful game, I was positive they were going to win the Series, but...sigh. Wait a minute, I believe I'm a victim, can I sue somebody? Our faith in God should be all about our relationship with Him and less about the religious aspect. Although, the original idea behind some relious rites were to bring us closer to Him spiritually.
    Loved this post, got me thinking lots of different directions, you done good, real good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hhhmm, lawyers. Ya hadda go mention them dincha? But yes, ours is a litigious society, encouraged by some in the legal profession in order to get a pay check. The victim mentality drives me nuts. (I believe you can sue Bill Buckner, but hasn't the poor man suffered enough?)

      Lately if I want to feel spiritual, I go down to the bay. Or the sea. Or I watch the flowers and the bords in my back yard. Church? Not so much.

      Delete
  5. I haven't been in a church in years. But I talk to God several times a day, just to check in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're pretty much spot on. I'll add that I think motorcycles are teh awesome. Speaking of which I'm off for four days in the wind with my best bud!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on a motorcycle once. In high school with a guy who (I think) was certifiably nuts. He went on to retire from the Navy as a Master Chief, so yes, there's the proof, he was certifiably nuts. Scared the crap out of me, haven't been on a motorcycle since. Just never had the urge, though I can appreciate the exhilaration involved.

      OTOH, not everyone would enjoy doing hardcore aerobatics in an old piston-engined WWII trainer. I did and would do it again in a heartbeat. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. YMMV.

      Four days off? Who the Hell authorized that?

      All kidding aside, have a great time Six!

      Delete
  7. We pretty much agree on everything, except bezbol. It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I don't care. And there's that church thing, where I don't know if The Deity At Hand is in there every Sunday or not. Once again, it's not that I don't agree, it's just that I don't know. Which is different than "I don't care."

    And what Six said about mo'sickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall your feelings regarding "The National Past-Time". As to what you like to call "the Deity At Hand" being in church every Sunday, He's everywhere. That whole omniscient, omnipotent thing. Though some people think that's the only place they can be in touch with "the Deity At Hand". I have it on Very High Authority that they're wrong.

      I also like the way you make a distinction between "don't care", "don't agree" and "don't know". You are a very wise man.

      And what I told Six regarding the two wheeled motorized conveyances.

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, I was going to comment on b-ball. I'm a huge fan, and I really don't like the DH. I figure if you're gonna play the game, play the damn game. Babe Ruth was a drunken womanizer, and he could pitch AND hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm ambivalent about the DH. But your point about the Bambino is a good one.

      Delete
    2. Well it does create interesting moments in inter-league series and the World Series. :-)

      Delete
    3. Well, yes, it does. It is fun watching an AL pitcher attempt to hit. Though they will surprise you from time to time.

      Delete
    4. That's what's so damn fun. Saw Mariano Rivera get a double once, and he just stood there stunned for a split second. Heh

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.