Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The Early Days of Ma Vie Militaire¹

94th Aero Squadron - Flightline at Rembercourt Aerodrome, France, late October 1918.
Air Service, United States Army - Gorrell's History of the American Expeditionary Forces Air Service, 1917-1919,
National Archives, Washington, D.C.
As many of you probably know, I'm a retired Air Force guy. Served twenty-four years (and 18 days, but who's counting) in that organization and for the most part. loved most of it. (Yes, there were times at Offutt AFB, NE where I was not really all that happy. Long story, which I might tell some day. Who knows?)

But did you know this?

August 1, 1907
OFFICE MEMORANDUM NO. 6

An Aeronautical Division of this office is hereby established, to take effect this date.

This division will have charge of all matters pertaining to military ballooning, air machines, and all kindred subjects. All data on hand will be carefully classified and plans perfected for future tests and experiments. The operations of this division are strictly confidential, and no information will be given out by any party except through the Chief Signal Officer of the Army or his authorized representative.

Captain Charles DeF. Chandler, Signal Corps, is detailed in charge of this division, and Corporal Edward Ward and First-class Private Joseph E. Barrett will report to Captain Chandler for duty in this division under his immediate direction.

— J. Allen, Brigadier General, Chief Signal Officer of the Army (Source)

Yup, ten years before the United States got involved in World War One, the Air Force was created as the Aeronautical Division of the Army Signal Corps. It had a strength of three guys - a captain, a corporal, and a private first class. No sergeants, which is odd because the modern day Air Force seems to have nothing but sergeants of varying flavors, responsibilities, and descriptions. It wasn't until September of 1947 that it became the United States Air Force, but, as you can see, it had already been around for forty years.

When I came onboard in May of 1975, it was a lot bigger. I mean to chat a bit about my time in Basic Training in this post. It was only six weeks long, but I was ready to re-enlist for twenty on the second day². (Not the first, that day was a blur of no sleep, lots of loud voices, and very little discernable pattern to anything.)

Basic Training was easy, very, very easy. As in: not hard, not hard at all.

Did I mention that it was easy?

For in the fall of 1971 I entered college at the nation's oldest private military school - up at the butt crack of dawn for calisthenics, followed by a vigorous mile-plus run. (We would run until our company commander got tired, I swear to God, that sumbitch never got tired.)

After this wonderful activity we would be told to go back to our rooms and dress in such and such a uniform. We would do so, fall back into formation, then get to do it all over again. That would happen two or three times (as I recall) before the cadre were required to march us to breakfast. (I should note that we reported to school before classes began so that we could be yelled at and drilled.)

Great fun, very tiresome in many ways. As I look back on it, it all smacked of a very Red Army sort of experience. You were ranked according to your time in the organization, the Seniors ran everything, the Juniors were wandering pains-in-the-ass, and the Sophomores were the people yelling and spitting on you for most of your time at school. The actual officers were few in number, one per company as I recall. So we weren't really being trained, just indoctrinated.

Which is fine by me. It renders an individual who will follow orders and execute tasks on command. Lots and lots of drill, which some question in these modern times, but I'm here to tell you, it works.

So, even with a three year gap between college and the Air Force, Basic Training down at Lackland was awfully easy compared with what I had experienced in Army ROTC for a year. (Or high school football two-a-days for that matter.) So rather than freaking out over getting yelled at or being tired, or having to run, or march, I could focus on what they really wanted me to do. Learn how to follow instructions and obey orders. Which if you really pay attention only takes a week or two, three to four to do things instinctively, without the need for conscious thought.

Another thing I learned was that following orders is pretty damned easy. No need to think, just do. Someone else was paid to do the thinking. For some people, following orders is so easy that they can detach themselves from what it is they are doing. Problem is, eventually they will find themselves in a position where they are the ones giving orders and they have no rational thought-process to back up what it is they are ordering people to do. That sort of thing can cause problems. Think about it.

Anyhoo, that's enough for today.

For those of you who might worry that I won't complete the tale of the Eminence et al, not to worry, I plan on getting back to that eventually.

(For those of you worrying that I might go back to that tale, sorry ...)

Ciao.




¹ My military Life
² Dinner was steak and lobster tails, yup, USAF chow was the best. Really, I'd re-enlist for the food? Well, duh!

48 comments:

  1. IIRC, it was the United States Army Air Service up until 1926 then the United States Army Air Corps until 1941 when ta-da.... United States Army Air Force until 1947. My Dad was there for that 1941 change but not for the last one. As for following orders Sarge, you have the right of it, some folks just don't have that process down at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarge! In 1907 a Corporal was easily the equivalent of a Sergeant!
      Boat Guy

      Delete
  2. 94th Aero Squadron in the lead photo still serves as 94th Fighter Squadron flying F-22 Raptors out of Langley AFB in Hampton, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Another thing I learned was that following orders is pretty damned easy. No need to think, just do. Someone else was paid to do the thinking. For some people, following orders is so easy that they can detach themselves from what it is they are doing. Problem is, eventually they will find themselves in a position where they are the ones giving orders and they have no rational thought-process to back up what it is they are ordering people to do. That sort of thing can cause problems. Think about it."

    Sarge, this is such a valuable point. Teaching people to follow orders is easy; teaching them to think in order that someday they can give the orders is much harder. Harder on both sides: those giving the orders have to train others and teach them, those receiving orders have to be willing to learn to think of multiple things and sides of issues, not just what is in front of their noses.

    I am the point in my career where I feel like the single biggest thing I can contribute to those reporting to me is learning how to eventually manage (e.g., give orders) in their own right. A great of that comes down to learn to think ahead and around the corner, not just down the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally reached a point in my career where no one reports to me, and I'm fine with that. I mentor others and am an expert in my area, which is all I need.

      Delete
    2. THBB,
      There's another aspect to "no need to think, just obey". "I was just following orders" didn't hold up too well in the Nuremberg trials as I recall. One must be able to discern the difference between a lawful order and a unlawful one. However, the consequences of not following the first and following the second are generally severe. Only one of those options leaves your conscience clear, and serves you in good stead when you're standing in front of the ultimate Judge.
      juvat

      Delete
  4. You might have a different opinion if you were among the 40 airmen who shared our fourteen day cruise aboard the General Maurice Rose troop ship in February 1964, Brooklyn to Bremerhaven. Even by Army standards, their bitching was epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're used to the finer things.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you were. A poor AF Major (non-AFSOC) got to share quarters with an SF guy, a Team Guy and a Boat Guy. He was near catatonic for the first coupla days.
      BG

      Delete
    3. Dear Lord! One hopes he was receiving hazard pay.

      Delete
  5. This post reminds me of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmMIX0aS79c

    ReplyDelete
  6. At some social gathering, I think Knights of Columbus, but might have been VFW, there was a lot of crossmogination, but it was in '73 or '74 and I mentioned to on of my dad's friends who was a major in the USMC that I was thinking of enlisting when I graduated from high school in '75. He took me aside and said, "Don't" and lectured me on why he had resigned his commission rather than get sent to Viet Nam again, and what he saw happening in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things weren't bad in '75, whatever was messed up got better with succeeding years. Started going downhill again after Gulf War 2.0, in small ways. The Light Bringer accelerated the decline. Guess who hasn't improved things?

      Delete
    2. '71-'75 was not bad. 2 years overseas duty, but no SEA time. I was too young and too busy building bombs for the B-52 to be overly concerned with the civilian world.

      Delete
    3. During that time frame there were some issues, bad ones, especially with "race relations." (I hate that term because race, as a concept, is bullshit.)

      Delete
    4. At that time Viet Nam was winding down. Saigon fell, or was liberated if you believe the other side, just before I graduated from High School. People were making noises about getting involved again. And there I was, about to turn 18, B+/A- student, in fairly good shape from wrestling and other sports, and thinking about becoming a Marine. The Major convinced me that if I enlisted, and we did go back to that group fornication in SE Asia, I would be Prime Cannon Fodder for the idjits in DC to expend uselessly. I think, even though he never stated it, that is why he resigned his commission - he couldn't face sending more young men out to be killed for no real gain.

      This being the anniversary of Ia Drang, that is a perfect example. We expended a lot of good men, only then to withdraw and allow the area to be retaken. There was no real plan to win that "police action," just to win individual battles with no clear direction as to the next, much less the final, step. Listening to the conversations at VFW Post 7041 that was a fairly common view of things.

      Delete
    5. That war was run by remote control from DC by people who I wouldn't trust to poor piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel. No real objective, no real strategy, and "Ohmigod what if the Russians or Chinese get involved." Well, they already were, we should have killed 'em all and let God sort them out. F**king Communists suck, every last one. But no, I have no strong opinions one way or the other.

      Delete
  7. “The actual officers were few in number, one per company as I recall. So we weren't really being trained, just indoctrinated”

    Your sentence, as quoted above, reminds me of the first few days of “active duty” in class 62-F at Webb AFB, Texas (Yaaay Juvat!). The most recent class of primary PT had been 62-B. The service had taken a break to rethink everything and introduce the “Tweet” and later in the story, the mighty Talon.

    Anyway as we arrived, looking forward to the experience, some highly motivated folks (MSGTs as I recall) started yelling at us. In the spirit of Air Force Flying Cadets. We, not knowing any better, did what they said (after all, they were in uniform). We went here and there around Webb and finally found the BOQ (should have given us a clue). Settled in, began drinking and shooting at our watches (no logged time as yet, mind you).

    Morning came and we got up upon being called - rudely at 0600 - formed up, and ran around for a while. This happened, along with other stuff, flight suits, helmets, masks, boots and a nasty clip board which could be affixed to one’s upper thigh (I NEVER, EVER used it). We did it for a few days. Then EUREKA!! A few of the O-3’s in the group (navigators by rating) thought it through and realized we hadn’t been introduced properly to our handlers. They weren’t suppose to yell at us. They weren’t supposed to call us colorful navy words. We were OFFICERS and GENTLEMEN!.

    Well, that changed some stuff. The newly assigned (but Old School) O-6, Wing Commander, he was, realized that we in fact (but that’s about all), we, the newly commissioned O-1s. Here to learn his ways and mimic his guile.

    We all slept in ’til 0615 the next morning (we showed them) and then we ran around for an hour or so, because it was our choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! (Those damned Master Sergeants.)

      Delete
    2. Still have that nasty clip board in a kit bag, but on day 1 we were all advised to head out to the local pilot shop and buy the more sleek one that was actually useful. Still got that one too.

      Delete
    3. Ah clipboards, the things a sergeant can do with a clipboard. (Mostly just look busy but hey ...)

      Delete
    4. Thank you. I've got Monday's post in mind

      Delete
    5. "Ah clipboards, the things a sergeant can do with a clipboard. (Mostly just look busy but hey ...)" Used that prop many a time. On my last consulting job before I retired my mission was to enter a very secure facility at which I normally had zero authority or business being in. I did have my White Hat on, with Official Get Out of Jail Card in writing, and a few select Senior C-Level types on speed dial should the need arise. Waltzed past the first outer perimeter line by walking thru a Vehicle Only Gate, while waving and chatting with the Guards. Saw a building perimeter door (all locked and card only entry) that often had a knot of employees waiting to get in. Just slid in amongst the crowd, and holding the security door open for those behind me. No reason not to be polite. Took many pictures for proof of where and how I had entered the sanctum sanctorum. It was an exciting, fun way to end my career. Attitude, appropriate dress and a clipboard can work wonders in bypassing security. Some level of Situation Awareness helps. I first used the clipboard trick in my USAF days.

      Delete
    6. Ron - You nailed it. Act like you belong there and carry a clipboard. Works almost all the time.

      Delete
  8. Somewhat different at Parris Island a couple of years earlier. Thirteen weeks. HARD. DIFFICULT.
    First meal I remember was a breakfast of fried baloney, Lima beans and grits.
    My father later said that my graduating from Boot Camp was one of the things I did that he was proudest of - and my family were never Marines except for me.
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Somewhat different?"

      Marine Boot Camp, I shudder just thinking of it. Next time you say HARD and DIFFICULT, you should use a much bigger font, or add adjectives. There's a reason the Marines get the tough assignments, after boot camp everything has to be easier.

      Delete
  9. A free-meal kitchen that I cook in has maybe 20% of that crew are vets. A young dude was working with us once a week, close to graduation from college (major in European language, minor in math) and he asked if the military was a good career choice, and which branch? We were not very enthusiastic and someone asked what his hobbies are. Swimming, sailing, diving (pool and scuba, first aid provider for scouts.) Turns out he's very, very good at all those things -- and will go off to the Coast Guard this spring, already slotted for Rescue Swimmer. "I can do this and get paid?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, in the old days they would have made him a cook!

      Delete
    2. Rough school and pipeline. ALMOST as tough as AFSOC PJ.
      BG

      Delete
    3. And that IS tough. (I love PJs, a couple sewed me up once. Long story. maybe I've told it? I dunno.)

      Delete
    4. I also respected (Love is a strong word) them. Additionally, I'm VERY glad never to have needed them.
      juvat

      Delete
    5. PJ's are up there with Hog pilots.
      BG

      Delete
    6. juvat - I'll have to check the archives, see if I've told that story in these precincts.

      Delete
    7. One night at CGAS San Francisco we got a call for a lost AirForce Reserve PJ, they dropped a bunch off in the bay for training and they couldn't find one... He was down in the south part of the bay as I recall when we found him. No big deal, just training...

      Delete
    8. Sarge, no argument; "up there" can be higher. While I love my PJ Brothers, I've fortunately never needed their services - even for sutures. And no, I don't recall your story of them.
      BG

      Delete
    9. Rob - Sounds just like a PJ. He probably enjoyed it.

      Delete
    10. BG - Yes, I get your drift. I do have a strong admiration for Hog pilots.

      Delete
    11. This kid -- shouldn't call him that -- has already saved several lives, one of them by abandoning a sailboat he was captaining (his two crew finished and won) to rescue a crew overboard from a sightseeing boat. The Canadians gave him a medal.

      Delete
  10. After Poncho Villa's raid in 1916 they sent Black Jack Pershing and the army after him. He left riding a horse & came back in a staff car.
    Anyway, they have a museum in Columbus, NM at the Poncho Villa State Park and it had an airplane that Pershing took with him, turned out it didn't have enough engine to get over the mountains so they had to swap it out with a different & more powerful airplane.
    That was the first time I'd heard of the US military using a plane. It was a neat museum.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.