Wednesday, September 18, 2024

One Late Night at Kadena AB, Japan ...

A very cool aircraft, the B-47.
Source
Bombers, something you'd think that I, a retired airman, would know a lot about. Well ...

In my 24 years on active duty, I spent the first eight working on the F-4C/D Phantom, when I wasn't in some sort of training. Training was six weeks basic (as the Air Force doesn't attack hills, beaches, or anything other than a bar with cheap drinks, that was deemed sufficient), training to work on the Weapon Control Systems on the Phantom took nearly seven months.

And when I got to Okinawa I soon learned that I didn't know Jack. A couple of very good Staff Sergeants taught me the ropes, I was probably useful on the flightline after about six months at Kadena.

So yeah, I was a fighter guy, okay, fighter-bomber guy, the Air Force doesn't really have Attack wings, though we do have one of the finest attack aircraft ever built, the A-10 Warthog (officially the Thunderbolt II, but no one calls it that).

I was part of Strategic Air Command for four years at Offutt, SAC Headquarters. But I worked on the software the Air Force used to schedule training routes and Military Operating Areas (MOAs). I did get to see the occasional bomber, we had a lot of different aircraft coming and going at Offutt, everything from the Junkers Ju-52 to the Lockheed SR-71.

The Ju-52 was privately owned, Martin Caidin I believe, and she was parked across from my office one fine morning, all decked out in full, authentic WWII colors (swastika and all). Mind you, this was back before we hid things from the faint and delicate wienies of the world. It's history bruh, get over yourself.

Anyhoo, had a B-52 land just over my head as I was driving down Fort Crook Road. Impressive sight indeed, those eight engines made a lot of noise and a lot of smoke (on take-off).

Saw a B-1 (affectionately known as the Bone, ya know B-one) do touch and goes on the field. Guy flew the beast like it was a fighter plane. Beautiful aircraft.

Saw the B-2 after I retired, back before the idiots in government bankrupted the nation and started printing money hand over fist to give to Ukraine. It flew down the parade route where I live now in Little Rhody on Independence Day. Damn thing was scary-looking and ominous as hell. Flew low she did, got kind of excited I did. Most impressive.

So there I was ...

So bombers, I've seen 'em. One lonely night on Okinawa, we heard tell that a flight of B-52s were coming in from Guam on typhoon evac. We thought, "Hey, wouldn't it be neat to track them on our radar?"

Where we were situated was the radar calibration dock overlooking the runway. We could legally radiate from there (that's my claim, not sure how "legal" it was, but we were young ...).

Anyhoo, we went to Operate (see below) and commenced to picking up one, two, then three aircraft out a ways to the south.

The OPR inside the red circle, that stands for "Operate,"
the radar transmits while in that mode.

This is in the back seat, BTW.

Source
So we thought that was pretty awesome, we're actually picking up B-52s on our AN/APQ-109A radar set, Someone, might have been me, might have been someone else, thought "Hey, let's lock on to one of those beasts!"

Okay, scanning is pulse radar, pulse goes out, bounces off object, pulse comes back. Tracking is a little different, I couldn't tell you exactly how it works, that was a very long time ago, but the B-52's systems can tell very quickly if the B-52 is being tracked.

B-52s do not, I repeat, do not like being tracked by fighter aircraft radar. I can venture a guess as to why. But that night on Okinawa, our little fighter radar antenna went from a graceful sweep of the skies, to pointing like a hunting dog at the incoming B-52s, to slamming against every stop on the radar mount. I mean, it was shaking the damned plane it was slamming so hard!

We quickly shut the radar down (back to STBY - Standby) so we weren't radiating anymore, and the antenna ceased its insane dance.

Those of us there, I think there were three of us, quietly agreed that we would not speak of this to anyone else. We were young, we were green, most of our NCOs were Vietnam vets and would no doubt look at us as if we were insane for trying to track a B-52.

We also made damned sure that we hadn't damaged the radar by giving it a very thorough check (which is what we were there for in the first place). Yup, no harm, no foul.

Scary stuff!

But cool, very cool.



32 comments:

  1. Ah...the days of Young and Green and what results from that eh Sarge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But in the top picture that may be an RB-47, no? The camera windows on the nose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, I like the picture, and it's still a B-47.

      Delete
  3. Ah, the wonderful world of electronic warfare. Former EW maintainer here, USAF AFSC (job code) 328x3. A '52 has a crew position dedicated to filling the air with clouds of electromagnetic radiation to include the physical, of chaff (aluminized fiberglass) and flares. You saw the tricks the transmitters can play, grabbing the pulse, stretching/modifying it, sending it back to 'burn through' the original. This was just in the '80's. The gear has gotten much, much smarter, and more powerful since then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarge, The Master Sergeant only ever worked on the C4, I believe.

    While never in the military, in my late teens/early 20's I made a number of decisions that, while certainly not dangerous, would have demonstrated a pretty bad example of judgement and likely created a great deal of trouble for me later in life. There are often times when I wonder - outside of the grace of God - how I survived as an idiot through those years; a well meaning idiot to be sure, but an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look back on the things I did when younger, in and out of the military, I often wonder how I made it this far.

      Grace of God? Absolutely.

      Delete
  5. The picture brings back memories. My home town of Lake Charles, Louisiana was also Chennault AFB, home to a B-47 unit. Now it frequently sees touch and goes from Barksdale B-52s and other miscellaneous large aircraft. When I was a kid I saw a Northrop Flying Wing land there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A -52 in flight is awesome. Frequently fly my Cessna into Shreveport downtown airport - just across the river from Barksdale. Fly north along the Red river, make a turn and land. First time I did that with a -52 coming south headed into Barksdale I did not know whether to duck, pray, or cry. That -52 headed south was smoking like the devil was chasing it and sure looked like it was as wide as the river.

      Delete
    2. One of the most awesome warbirds on the planet.

      Delete
  6. Shhesh, slacker here. Other than harming German/American relations not much to tell. We don't speak of a training grenade tossed over the East German border fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.

      First rule of grenade club ...

      Don't talk about grenade club.

      Delete
  7. Fun stuff! I'd expect that the Buffs would know it was an F-4's radar though. And since nobody reported you, no harm no foul, except for the radar stops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, with 72 of them on base, it would be hard to imagine it being anything else.

      As they swatted us like an annoying mosquito, wasn't much to report.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I didn't pick that up- they were jamming you?

      Delete
  8. Ah, the follies of youth. That which doesn't nosh on our posterior makes us sneakier.

    Not wiser. Not stronger. Maybe more cautious. But definitely sneakier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always sneakier, seek plausible deniability.

      Delete
    2. At work (civilian), my boss's boss was a retired Marine Colonel (real nice guy). We were having the yearly (obligatory) office safety video course. At our weekly meeting, he emphasized that everyone had to view and follow it (including not using desks, tables, and chairs [especially swivel chairs] and tell your superior about infractions. Coming back from lunch early, lo and behold, what did I see? He was standing on his office swivel chair hanging one of his citations. I tut-tut-tutted (my duty to report it done), and he asked what I would have done. "The same thing, except that I wouldn't have gotten caught".

      Delete
  9. I was Combat Comm and JCSE for my 21 years in the Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did an airways trainer (in an HH-52A) from CGAS San Fran to BeaIe AFB & got to watch a U-2 land while we sat on the ramp & ate our box lunches. That was neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to see a U-2 land and fly out of Patrick AFB back in the day. What was nice was A1A ran right to the east of the airfield, and the bike path ran right next to the 4' tall cement fence that separated the base from the highway so I got really good looks at the plane and the support crew.

      And the CAP group had a room in the hangar next to the highway that the control tower was also stationed at. So we got to see a Harrier up close, an EA-6 that was doing secret squirrel stuff for subs launching Tridents, various OV-10s and other fun planes like NASA T-38s.

      Now there's serious security at the base so it's harder to get a looky-looky any more. Which, since changing over to a Space Force base, there, from what they tell me, aren't as many neat aircraft coming in and out.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to tell my Harrier and Chinook stories some day, saw both "up close and personal" at Kadena.

      Delete
  11. My last boat ride we went to Vjestfjiord Norway for Ocean Safari 87. It was pretty cold up there even with it being September. The Avionics guys were going to test the Radar Altimeter in one of our helicopters and I had an idea. I took several of boxes of chocolate milk and set them on the deck under the antenna. The Trons ran their test and afterward I handed out hot chocolate to the guys on the Line Crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's work on Range Tracking and Information Ships got him to witness the radar techs using chubs of baloney as course tuning of the big radar dishes as they knew the time it took to set one on fire for each of the big radars. And watched the techs use fluorescent tube fired by radar waves at very low power to provide light for the ship's electric crew so they could fix the regular generators. Then there were the zorching of seagulls. Eh, it was a different era.

      Delete
    2. A vastly different (far more fun but a bit more dangerous) era.

      We used to freak out the SPs on Okinawa by going to OPR and lighting up the lamps on the portable lighting carts. (We called them lite-alls, don't remember the technical name.) We also used the lite-alls for warmth in the winter (powered by a gasoline engine) and as a source of 110 VAC to drive our guitar amps. (Another Okinawa story I should tell someday.)

      Delete
  12. I watched Jimmy Stewart land a B-47 at Kadena, in Strategic Air Command.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.