![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
Before I get into that, see the lead-in picture? It's my new internet box. On Thursday, when I still had two mostly functional knees (we'll get to that, patience) The Missus Herself remembered that she needed a new phone as she's going back to the homeland for a few weeks with her sisters, again. Not a problem, she's earned that right.
Anyhoo, after years of faithful service and being abused by grandkids ...
It was definitely time for a new phone. (Okay, the grandkids didn't treat her phone as badly as the chimp does that suitcase, but there were times ... Okay, it got dropped, a lot.)
So off to the AT&T store we went (that's our carrier, we've had them since they took over Cingular just after the last Ice Age) for to purchase a new communication device. (An Android, we don't do Apple, okay, The Missus Herself does have an iPad, but I don't like the way Apple does things. Sorry, it's a personal deficiency no doubt.)
Now at the store one of the chaps asked me who I used for my internet provider.
"Cox."
"Are you happy with them?"
"Happy is not a word I would use, let's just say that it's adequate and is better than the only other competitor in my wee town fast on Narragansett Bay."
![]() |
| Source |
"It's high speed, up to a billion bps, and it's only $35. How much do you pay now?"
"Wow, $35? I pay a hundred right now."
One thing led to another and they convinced me to try it for a week, gratis. So I took it home, found that my AT&T internet speed was two to sometimes three times faster than Cox. And seriously, like my cell phone, I could theoretically take that box anywhere and have internet. Like my Mom's house. So, I'm a happy camper and Cox lost a customer. (Before you ask, I don't bundle, I do everything on my computer, everything.)
So that being said, the next day is when my right knee decided that he'd had enough of my bullshit and decided to go on strike. I literally could put no weight on it at all, hurt like bloody hell it did.
Was prescribed a week's treatment of Prednisone and here it is (Monday as I write) and I'm down to only using one crutch and that is very much a "just in case" kind of thing. In reality it was better on Sunday as well. My old boss was going to drive over from the other side of the bay, as she had a walker I could use. That's twenty miles as the crow flies, close to fifty miles by road. (That whole Narragansett Bay thing is in the way, gotta go around it, through Providence, which is its own special hell right now due to bridge work.)
I called her while having my coffee and said, "Skip it, thanks but I can walk pretty good now on crutches."
Sunday down to one crutch, Monday I keep it with me, but can walk without it. Yeah, it hurts, which is why I still use the crutch. Doesn't hurt at all if I take the weight off the knee.
A nurse called me up on Sunday to inquire as to the health of said knee, I told her that it was much better. She asked if I wanted to see the orthopedics doc soon, or ...
I said that I'd wait, explained how The Missus Herself was going to be out of town, so any procedure requiring someone to drive me there and back was right out until the fall. She said, "Well, if the pain is under control and you can walk on it, let's play wait and see."
So I'm waiting.
And we shall see ...


Encouraging to read there's been some improvement on your knee situation Sarge, you and The Missus Herself are in the prayer rotation because of your knee warranty expiring and her traveling.........:) Yay on saving some ducats also!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, I was wondering about it but was hesitant to ask
ReplyDeleteI used to have AT&T for internet, but had so many problems I went to Spectrum. FAR BETTER service from them.
ReplyDeleteI still have my AT&T flip phone (for emergencies). It gives me signal everywhere. And I use VOIP for my home phone, which is my primary.
In Australia we used to say "I've got a shonky knee." I like "shonky".
ReplyDeleteFor a wider statement of peril I like the Scottish "Life hangs on a shoogly peg".
Sarge,
ReplyDeleteJust lay off the rugby for a while, say 20 years or so, and you'll be fine. Other than that, elevation, ice and rest. Best of luck and prayers to you.
juvat