Sunday, August 23, 2026

Why?

Imagery courtesy of Castle Argghh!
(IYKYK)
A number of times over the last year I've learned to check Facebook before wishing someone a happy birthday. Too many times I've checked on an elderly buddy only to discover that he'd passed away at some date in the past, since his/her last birthday.

Now Facebook is kind of an odd thing. I have many friends there whom I've never met in person. Why am I friends with them on Facebook? Common interests, knowing people in the real world we have in common. It's also a great way to keep up with family when those family are spread over the world.

Some of my Facebook friends are folks I used to work with, being retired (twice over now) there are folks I don't want to lose touch with.

That opening picture? I got that from a friend who did it using some sort of AI tool. I thought it came out very well.

The central character is a badger, an American badger to be more specific. He's surrounded by cats, all walking into the sunset. It looks as though they are emerging from a forest, following a narrow path which leads to a clearing.

There's a saying in one of my circle of friends "they've entered the clearing, at the end of the path." Signifying that that person, or beloved pet, we'll get to that, has passed from this existence to the next. Whatever that might be.

That saying comes from The Dark Tower by Stephen King¹ -

“Go now. Our journey is done. And may we meet again, in the clearing, at the end of the path.”

We have other sayings about death, some far cruder, some perhaps more enlightened.

Now to specifics.

I first encountered this fellow over at the old Neptunus Lex blog. He commented as "SCOTTtheBADGER," as his first name is Scott, and he's from Wisconsin, the moniker made sense. (Far better than some I've seen.)

He was a gentle soul, he loved cats, he lived on a farm and had a large number of cats, working and homebodies, that he called friend. He posted a lot of photos on Facebook of him and his cats, usually them piled on top of him during a cold Wisconsin winter.

His birthday was the 21st of August, as Scott was in his mid-sixties² and in relatively good health, at least he hadn't reported any recent ailments, I went ahead and posted on his page for his birthday. Later in the day I saw a post in one of my Facebook groups that Scott had actually passed away, one week before his birthday.

I was stunned, to say the least.

There's just been too much of this death crap going around lately. I know, I know, it's part of that whole "circle of life" thing, but I still hate it.

A friend of mine from the old days on Okinawa lost his wife this year, a cherished colleague from work passed away in May, my daughter's dog of 14 years died, one of my best friends lost her cat of 15 years recently, the list continues. I hesitate to check my phone/computer in the mornings these days for fear of someone else entering the clearing at the end of the path.

There are those who say, "they're in a better place now, no more pain, no more sorrow." I do believe that, the pain and the sorrow is left for those of us mourning our dead.

I mourn you Scott, I truly do. You were a gentle soul, a fellow lover of the feline race, and a good, solid human being.

Though we never met in person, and I hate to realize that now we won't have that chance, I felt I knew you as a person. I counted you as a friend, a comrade, a fellow veteran.

Scott mourned the loss of a number of his feline friends over the years, he had just commemorated the one year anniversary of the passing of one of his favorites. Now he can be with them.

I shall truly miss you, brother.

See you in the clearing someday.

As to the question in the title ...

Someday we'll know.




¹ Before becoming a political radical he was a very good writer. I'll say no more about that.
² I thought Scott was in his fifties, a mutual friend notified me of the error, so I corrected this. Still far too young in my opinion.

24 comments:

  1. Something's wrong with your page, Sarge. That last part's all blurry.

    Heckuva nice tribute.

    I picture theBadger, feet wet from crossing the river, sitting in the shade of a tree, covered with his feline companions.

    Excuse me. I have to go dry my face

    O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who hast trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Thy world, do Thou, the same Lord, give rest to the soul of Thy departed servant in a place of brightness, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where all sickness, sighing, and sorrow have fled away. Pardon every transgression which he has committed, whether by word or deed or thought. For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind; because there is no man who lives yet does not sin, for Thou only art without sin, Thy righteousness is to all eternity, and Thy word is truth.


    For Thou are the Resurrection, the Life, and the Repose of Thy servant who has fallen asleep, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever unto ages of ages. Amen


    Grant rest eternal in blessed repose, O Lord, to the soul of Thy servant who is fallen asleep, and make his memory to be eternal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I head into open heart surger at 54 this Wednesday so this really hits me in the feels. God willing, that clearing at the end of the path is a bit further along in my walk of life. Either way, I accept my fate

      Delete
    2. You shall have my prayers for a clean surgery and a full recovery, Plutoh71. Stay strong!

      Delete
  2. Was wondering why I hadn't read any comments lately from Badger Sarge, thanks for the info and the tribute to a Good Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we all get the opportunity to stand before the Lord and see what the outcome will be. I’m not He, but, based on StB’s posts and comments here, I’m fairly confident the decision will be in his favor. Rest in Peace, StB, we’ll miss you. Until we meet again.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook is how I talk at my daughter who passed... ya that's odd but it's real.
    I've lost track of the number of bloggers who have passed on. On some, a family member will pass the news on their blog, others you just never hear from them again. They are all missed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A number of commenters have ceased to comment over the years, I suspect many of them have passed.

      Delete
  5. For the record, I used SuperGrok, prompting it to "give me a badger, walking towards the setting sun, with his cats."

    We'll catch you up at Fiddler's Green knocking 'em back with Lex and Lilyea, and the others, Scott - while Peaches and the rest gambol with their friends across the road at Piddler's Green, as we await the final trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did a fine job, Sir. Yes, with Lex and Jonn Lilyea and a few score others I can think of.

      A fine time that'll be.

      Delete
  6. I must admit to avoiding Book of Faces; Bride is on and I rely on her to keep me appraised. Thus, it was via text that I learned that an old friend and Shipmate had gone into hospice. He's had an "exotic" form of cancer.and has survived half a decade more than prognosis, so this was hardly surprising, yet it still promotes that "damnit" response you allude to.
    He's A good Christian and will pass surrounded by grandchildren.
    It is that stage of life, it seems.
    Nice piece, Sarge!
    Boat Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we age, more and more of us fall from the ranks. It sucks to see them go, but our time will come just the same.

      Thanks, BG.

      Delete
  7. I spent the first week of August in a campground in western VT. With 5 of my first cousins, their kids, and grandkids. There are roughly 40 of us, we kinda take over the small campground. Was sitting around the campfire one evening, and was talking with the oldest female cousin...we are only 3 months apart in age, so she is more like a sister as mine are 9 and 10 years younger than me. The topic came up of how nice it was to be spending time with family that is usually very far-flung and not have it be at a funeral. She remarked how nice it was to be our age (late 60's) and still have my Dad with us. He will be 97 end of this week. We lost her mom and then her dad little over a year ago.
    There is a cycle of life...get togethers used to be high school and then college graduations, then weddings followed by baby showers, anniversary parties, and now funerals. So we all get together one week in August just for fun. Just to catch up.

    Mr Badger was always a refreshing read. And anyone who likes cats as much as he did is absolutely on my "okay list". He will be missed.

    Enjoy your time with your family and friends, as no one is truly sure how long any one of us has. Enjoy the sunny days, for the rain will come, but that is needed also. If for no other reason then it helps us appreciate the sun.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time that happens I'm reminded of my own immortality. While I mourn their passing I know my time is coming.

    At 82, I've outlived most of my enemies and, sadly, good friends and relatives. I spend some effort on keeping my affairs in order. Not just wills, etc. but the small things. I want who has to clean up after me to have as easy a task as possible. The book cover, "F**K, I'm dead, now what?" has 92 pages broken into specific sections. In that is a list of all my social stuff, FB, blog, memberships, etc. and instructions on how to post/close/etc. Whoever is stuck with the task will have a "road map" to ease the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea, I think I need to do that as well!

      Delete
    2. Another good book is "What I learned working for dead people". Just sent a copy to my best friend after he informed me (! I thought one had to volunteer for such) that I was to be his Executor
      BG

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.