Saturday, August 22, 2026

Alrighty then ...

IYKYK
OAFS Photo
So yeah, had some soreness (of the painful type) in my right knee on the drive back from Maryland last Sunday. Thought nothing of it, after climbing all over four ships the Thursday before, just figured it for an old age thing.

Friday The Missus Herself needed a new ID, so to the naval station we went, where I discovered that walking was really painful, unless I moved really, really slow.

After the appointment, it was worse. So off to Urgent Care we went. Almost couldn't make it into the building. Once inside, they gave me a wheelchair. Then poked me for blood, had me don a gown so that they could x-ray my knee.

Everything came back normal. The doctor was kinda stunned that my knee showed no evidence of arthritis, kinda stunned me too.

First thought was gout ...

Nope.

Second thought was something skeletal ...

Nope.

So I've got an orthopedic appointment sometime in my future, for now it's ibuprofen and a steroid (prednisone).  Awfully hard to get around, as I write this I walk like a ninety year old man. Right leg won't support any weight at all.

Fortunately, The Missus Herself found the crutches which I had received after having run afoul of Bear who wanted to sniff the flowers while we were out walking. You can read about that here.

So I won't have to sleep in the dining room at the table tonight. I've got that going for me.

It doesn't hurt if I don't move it.

As I live on Earth, I do need to move occasionally, it's gonna be a LONG night methinks.

Getting old ain't for sissies.



Author's Note: This post is dedicated to the memory of my friend Scott the Badger. Friday was his birthday, told him happy birthday on Failbook, only to discover an hour or so later that Scott had passed away on the 14th of August. Damn, that sucks.

I'll always see him in the comments here, gone too soon, brother. Gone too soon.

6 comments:

  1. Scott was a gentle soul who will be greatly missed. Almost as much of a punch in the gut as The Cap'n.

    "Multās per gentēs et multa per aequora vectus
    adveniō hās miserās, frāter, ad īnferiās,
    ut tē postrēmō dōnārem mūnere mortis
    et mūtam nēquīquam alloquerer cinerem
    quandoquidem fortūna mihī tētē abstulit ipsum
    heu miser indignē frāter adēmpte mihī
    nunc tamen intereā haec, prīscō quae mōre parentum
    trādita sunt trīstī mūnere ad īnferiās,
    accipe frāternō multum mānantia flētū.
    Atque in perpetuum, frāter, avē atque valē."

    May his memory be eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeez Sarge, getting old ain't for the timid. So sorry to hear about Scott..........Badger Salute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am back in the gym at 65. The main reason is I need a knee replacement and I want to be more physically fit when I get the operation at the first of the year. I thought my working out for the past 3 months had strengthened my leg enough I might not need the operation but my knee buckled yesterday. I would have busted my ass but I had hold of a shopping cart in the Commissary that kept me from a face planting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Hope you don’t need a replacement. I had one done in late May, wasn’t prepared for the pain and long recovery. Apparently 3 months to ‘not bad, moving better now’ is not just for people in poor health. It does take that long.
    Southern NH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I'm going to be 70 and touch wood have never had any serious medical problems (so far) and I do try to keep fit. I stopped running a long time ago as I am most emphatically not the build for a runner being more in the mould of a rugby 2nd row forward or discus thrower so distance running is not my forte. I use a rowing machine made by those excellent fellows in Vermont, the Concept 2 people. However I was reminded of my age when I got off it after a session and my knee said 'that's' enough. Said knee now reminds of when rain is imminent which hasn't been a problem in the South of England so far but autumn and winter will be fun.
    As Tsquared said 'prehab' is most important for surgery like knees. Build up the muscle around said knee and it will help with any post op recovery.
    Good luck with your knee Sarge, they do have a habit of going at the most inopportune of moments.
    Retired

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Sarge, getting older sucks, unfortunately the alternative is worse. So, hang in there, take it easy, follow the Doctor's orders to a T. We'll keep you in our prayers.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.