Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Monday Musings for a Tuesday

PEARL HARBOR (July 4, 2022) Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Frank E. Petersen Jr. (DDG 121) and Zumwalt-class destroyer USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001) sit pierside as a 4th of July fireworks display illuminates the night sky over Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022.
U.S. Navy Photo
Once upon a time I had a job, a job I loved, working with people who I loved and respected. Of course, I also worked with quite a few people who didn't fall into that category. But hey, that's life. The world is full of assholes, scoundrels, and nitwits, you can't always (mayhaps never) get to choose with whom you work.

That being said, I had breakfast on Sunday morning with one of the people from the old days whom I still love and respect. I introduce her as "my old boss" even though she said, at breakfast, "I wasn't really your boss."

"Were you in charge in the lab?"

"Yeah, kind of."

"Did I have to do what you told me to do?"

"Well, sure, I mean ..."

"So there, you were my boss."

Okay, I'm kinda old school. Someone is always in charge. Modern corporate America likes to think in terms of teams, all for one and one for all, but someone is always responsible for making sure shit gets done. Whether you call them the boss, or not, they call the shots. If no one calls the shots, then whatever you're working on invariably fails.

Anyhoo ...

We had nearly four inches of rain Sunday and we were out there in the midst of it. It bothers some people, as for me? Hey, it's water, it's not going to freeze, and if I get wet I'll eventually dry off. Which was the case, got a little wet, and dried off.

I love that opening photo. The ship in the middle, USS Michael Monsoor, is the one whose systems I worked on in the twilight years of my career. Best job I ever had and the reason I worked until I was 71. If some of our upper management hadn't been so stupid I might still be there. But it was time to walk away.

Do I miss it at times? Sure, I was there for 25 years, worked with some awesome people, got to work on some awesome systems. There are days I wonder if they'd have me back, then I sober up and go back to bed.

I miss it yes, but retirement means that one can finally march to the beat of one's own drummer and not that of some remote desk pilot wearing a suit.

Retirement is nice, but I do miss some of the folks I worked with. Fortunately I get to see two of them on a fairly regular basis. We hang out, tell stories, and enjoy each other's company.

I cherish those moments.

Be well, this bachelor stuff is tiresome, but The Missus Herself will return and I'll have to go back to shaving and not swearing at the television. If you're wondering, I do shower, every day. I even do laundry!

But going to bed at 2 AM and getting up at 10 is for younger folk, but with the wife not around, I have no one to remind me to be civilized.

Ah well ...



18 comments:

  1. Good to keep in touch with those work mates you cherished Sarge and with The Missus Herself absent your usual routine becomes somewhat....ah....shall we say......flexible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My usual routine is not having a usual routine. Semper Gumbi.

      Delete
  2. Sarge, I refer to my that retired this year as my former boss too. Sign of respect, I suppose.

    I have to confess more and more now after every weekend or three day holiday or vacation I find myself one more asking the question "Why am I still at this?" (Other than financial, I mean.) I think the biggest bother is the fact that I know that most of this really doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I was doing absolutely mattered and I knew it. Seeing the Navy squander most of that is, in retrospect, very annoying and very disturbing.

      Delete
  3. Any good tank battles? Miss the screen shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do a gaming post, let y'all know what fantasy land I'm currently visiting.

      Delete
  4. That photo looks like a painting, one to depict a dramatic victory (which it does) or heroic moment (which it does). You know the type. "Stirrup Charge," and all that.

    I really disliked the "We're all equal here" style. What it usually meant, in my limited experience, is that the guy in charge didn't want to take the blame if things went wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is equal until it's time to blame someone for the failure. Or take credit for the success.

      Delete
  5. Man! That is a fantastic photo. Timing of the shot was excellent.
    juvat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! and a correction. The correct term is "Desk Jockey"! "Desk Pilot" is a Fighter Pilot condemned to the torture of having to work with a plethora of fools who have no real understanding of the military.
      Just sayin'
      juvat

      Delete
    2. juvat #1 - Yes, I use that photo as my computer's wallpaper.

      Delete
    3. Well, I've been off active duty for a very long time. I just wanted to avoid the phrase "asshole in a suit."

      Delete
    4. Which is a VERY accurate description! Known from personal encounters in a Five sided building.
      juvat

      Delete
  6. I'm getting long in the tooth here at work and am the 3rd most senior (long-timer) civilian in my command. I've joked that when it's time for me to retire, I won't have anyone to come to my farewell lunch. I do get together for lunch with those former co-workers periodically, which is nice, but they really relish it. I'm sure I'll miss the camaraderie when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.