Thursday, August 12, 2021

Headed South

(Source)

So if the picture doesn't tip you off, nor the title of the post, I'll lay it out for ya...

I'm traveling.

Again.

Friday is the anniversary of my youngest grandson's birth, what y'all might call his birthday (well, okay, that's what I call it as well, though technically one's birthday is the actual day one was born, the others are just anniversaries, but I digress.). His first birthday, as a matter of fact. Kind of a "big deal" in many cultures, but in Korean culture especially. You can read more about 돌잔치 (doljanchi) here.

So Maryland, here I come.

Due to the many hours I spent working in Sandy Eggo, which I could have taken as overtime or as what we call "mod time," I did elect the latter, which means I can take a week and a half off. No harm, no foul. I get paid for it as well. So I've got that going for me.

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, I'm still exhausted from all of those many hours spent working out in Sandy Eggo. I'm not as young as I once was, nor are we all. But I'm getting on in my dotage and it takes me a bit more time to recover.

Hence the time off, rather than the extra pay. I can always get more money, no one gets more time, as recent events have illustrated. (And yes, I'm still rather flummoxed by all of that. Eighteen years is a long time to my way of thinking, heck, we got Sasha and Anya when The Nuke and The WSO were still in college! Sorry girls, but it was a long time ago. Heck, they're both married with children these days!)

I am looking forward to the trip and the time away from work. However, I am kind of worried about my surviving cat Anya, this will be the first time in her entire life where she will be all alone for most of the day. My next door neighbor (who has always baby-sat our cats when we're away, save one time) says she will try and spend more time entertaining Anya, but she has a life of her own. So Anya will probably do what cats do best...  Sleep.

But still, I worry.

The War in the Wild story remains on hold for the moment, as does the final editing of the WWII novel. So much to do, so little time. Word on the street has it that I'm wanted in Sandy Eggo for the next test event aboard USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001). Truth be told, I'm honored. I guess we did good the last time we were there. It wasn't just me, two of us went out there. Myself and a completely brilliant young engineer. Had she not been there, it would have been a dumpster fire extraordinaire. She knew the test equipment better than the people who are supposed to know those things. So we're both returning to the waterfront next month.

But just a week and change this time, much more tolerable than three weeks I'm sure.

So it's "on the road again," but unlike Willie Nelson and his compadres, whiskey will not be involved. Porter and stout will be, for sure, but not until we get there.

I'm feeling thirsty already.

See you in Maryland.



22 comments:

  1. Always interesting to learn more about another culture, especially the way the survival of their youngsters was celebrated. Bestest choice on time over $$, learned well you have Padawon. Safe travels and have fun with the younger generations Sarge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it in one piece. NYC was Hellish, traffic-wise.

      Delete
  2. Well earned, and safe travels. It would make too much sense to have the ship in Newport to take advantage of the myriad schools available here, both for the crew and for the students. We no longer have a school ship on the pier. Everyone from NAPS through the Naval War College (which would comprise the entire line officer corps of the USN) would benefit. Old Guns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they have the infrastructure at Newport for the Zumwalts. Still a work in progress in many ways.

      But yeah, that would be cool.

      Delete
  3. Fair winds and following seas, Sarge. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here’s to the road warriors, whether it be for work or recreation.
    “May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be always at your back…”
    A happy first to your youngest grandson.
    My sympathies to Anya …and you, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll chime in with my best wishes for a safe trip for your Grand Child's First Anniversary of his Birth Day. Say hello to your gang for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings have been shared, first porter consumed.

      A very long day...

      Delete
  6. So besides congratulations for the first birthday anniversary for your grand baby, congrats on the recognized good work in SoCal. Drive safely to and from the turtle state, we want you back at the keyboard in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My great nephew shares the same b-day and his gramma is visiting too. So what's Tuttle doing these days- high powered DC contractor?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe Travels and hopefully some relaxation Sarge. And yes, recovery time does take a lot more than it did once upon a time.

    Oddly enough, the only thing I actually associate with Maryland is Crab cakes.

    I will certainly pray for Anya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy the time off with those you love, and...enjoy your time at sea. There aren't many who can experience sunrises and sunsets at sea. It's what called us back time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't actually get to go to sea on these trips.

      More's the pity as I have seen those events from out on the bounding main.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.