![]() |
| Source |
"Oh, we don't cover that."
"You don't cover annual physicals?"
"No, we cover annual wellness visits. It's not the same."
"Really?"
"Yes, one is an actual stem to stern physical exam, the other is where you sit down and talk about your health."
"Uh, okay."
Later on the phone with my doctor's office ...
"Medicare wants you to call it a wellness visit, or they won't pay for it."
... silence, clicking of computer keys ... "Oh yes, you're on Medicare now, someone didn't update your record. I'll take care of that for you."
And so it goes ...
Anyhoo, I intend to discuss my recent knee issues. No doubt I'll be referred to a specialist. And that's just peachy keen, no, really, it is. I mean I'm retired now, what else do I have to do but go to various doctor offices? I mean, I've got the time, right?
Sigh ...
After action report to follow.
Getting old is interesting to say the least.
"How did you hurt yourself?"
"I got out of bed awkwardly."
"Ah, yes, happens all the time."
"Should I start wearing padding or leg braces or something?"
"Nah, just take it slow first thing in the morning."
I think I'm going to move my coffee maker upstairs. Brew it and drink it in bed, so I can, ya know, take it slow first thing.
I suppose getting decrepit beats the alternative.
That's all for now, I have to stretch before I get up from my computer ...

GPs are good (if you can find one when you need one), but specialists usually know what they are doing in their specialty.
ReplyDeleteThe wait times can be aggravating, but if you are looking for the truth instead of just someone to talk to, it is usually WORTH the wait.
True.
DeleteJust think of the medico visits as breaks from staring at the computer screen during game time Sarge........:)
ReplyDeleteThere is that.
DeleteGetting old isn't for the weak or faint of heart.
ReplyDeleteNope, it surely is not.
DeleteConfounding doctors can be the reward of wellness visits. When they have no real idea, "good genetics" is the diagnosis. My doctor worried about my cholesterol, so a test was ordered to determine the amount of blockage in my heart, and major blood vessels near the heart. They shook their head, and stated how they would normally prescribe a statin in my situation, but since the test revealed a zero on possible heart problems, gave me the decision. I said no, and my doctor said I have good genetics. Maybe so.
ReplyDeleteSometimes good genes is all that stands between us and death.
DeleteSarge,
ReplyDeleteWell...the alternative to getting older has some severe consequences. Just sayin'
juvat
Indeed it does.
DeleteThat reminds me of the episode of The Office where Michael Scott liked to have fresh bacon first thing in the morning. He had his George Foreman grill in his bedroom, and when he got out of bed, he accidentally stepped on it burning his foot. Be careful not to spill your coffee.
ReplyDeleteI hope you're full of wellness.
Post-visit - it was determined that I am indeed well, and would I please ice the damned knee.
DeleteI forgot to tell you. I broke down and bought a multi-function coffee maker- brew, nespresso pod, K-cup. The pods make such great coffee. I've even dabbled with the steamed milk! - Tuna
DeleteSigh. Makes mental note to call medical office to see about annual physical...or wellness visit... or whatever it is.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck and I hope you get an actual diagnosis.
Ligament damage possible, give it a few more weeks, then we'll see.
DeleteI walked without my crutches today. It was an adventure, now the knee is sore.
Where'd I put that ice pack?
When I moved to Florida the new doc put me on an every 6 months schedule rather than the yearly one the doc in WA had been doing. I don't know what they call it but I have not had problems with Medicare/Tricare For Life taking care of it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting.
DeleteAnd here I thought this was one of those "New English" words made up in the 1970s by figures such as John Travis who opened a Wellness Resource Center in California, but it turns out (OED) it was used as early as 1654.
ReplyDeleteIt's certainly better sitting there talking to my GP who's a very bright, pleasant guy than going to my dermatologist who has me strip to the buff in front of late 20s female intern (I'm not certain I could have done that when I was in 30s or 40s) to examine me with an ultraviolet light checking every inch - and I mean every single square millimeter - for signs of melanoma (Yeah! bend over and spread 'em as well).
Personally I'd prefer to sit and talk with my GP.
When all's said and done, you're payin' fer it! Doan cost me a dime.
Heh, the dermatologist, both of mine have been attractive ladies. When you get to a certain age it just don't matter anymore!
DeleteMedicare is picky about what happens in "wellness" visit vs regular visits. They pay for both, but might refuse to pay for the wellness waste of time if you dare discuss actual physical problems and want something done about them. My personal belief is that the practice loves the wellness visits as it gives them a steady flow of customers with minimal actual effort, and a follow up visit (another paycheck) to get problems addressed. I also think that the actual doctors know that it is mostly a bureaucratic waste of time, mandated by Congress, so they play the game. Sounds like your doc was kind enough to at least whisper about ice packs but probably did not put it in the chart that big brother Medicare inspectors might get grumpy about.
ReplyDeleteMedicare is a cash cow for fraudsters, along with a generally pretty good freebie for seasoned citizens.
JB
Medicare a "freebie"? I paid into it my whole working life and even now it takes a chunk of the Social Security money every month.
DeleteHad my wellness blood work today. Drank water before I left for the urine sample. Got to the doctor's office and spent 15 minutes using a tablet for my complete medical history, HIPA notification and billing information. New system so all data must be reentered. I now need to piss like a racehorse. Tech gets me after 10 minutes and does the blood draw. She gets a 10/10. I ask about the urine sample. No Go, Medicare doesn't pay for it, and the blood work covers everything anyway. I did the pee pee dance for nothing. I see the doctor on Thursday to go over the results.
ReplyDelete