![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
Wise words from a friend of mine ...
The last time I was on my own for a spell I ate a lot of English muffins. For breakfast with butter and jelly, sometimes peanut butter and jelly. For variety I used different types of jelly. (For the record I avoid jam, many jams have seeds, seeds are something I cannot abide. Well, I can abide it, my colon cannot.)
For supper I'd do an English muffin sandwich, sometimes two. A toasted muffin with meat and cheese and mayo. For variety, I'd change up the meat and often the cheese. (Though I'm mighty partial to cheddar, so it was only the type of cheddar that would vary. And that was between New York and Vermont cheddar, haven't gotten around to Wisconsin cheddar yet. Damnit I wish the Badger was still around to advise me on that cheese choice.)
My friend then hit me with that phrase above. So yeah, I had to change things up, I don't eat nearly as many English muffins as I did before. So I didn't turn into an English muffin after all. My friend saved me from that fate!
In the local supermarket not too long ago I saw those things depicted above.
Apple fritters? Yup, big fan. Used to get them in the fall at my old gig, Matt made them well. When I saw these in the store, I thought, "Well, why not, if they suck I won't buy anymore."
Well, they did not suck. Thing is though, way too much sugar. So I've had to dial that back a bit. Right now breakfast (unless it's with Liz and Tom) is a bagel and a cup of joe. That's it.
They call 'em apple fritters, I call 'em Sarge's Kryptonite.
Speaking of breakfast ...
Tuesday was the "up at the crack of dawn, eat breakfast, drink coffee, shower, then take Blue in to the dealership for some recall work" adventure. I had envisioned myself being stuck at the dealership for most of the day waiting as they won't deliver me off-island (too far) and everyone I know was either working or in Korea. Or living in another state ...
Turns out though that it only took about four hours and the dealership was kind enough to cart me across the street to Barnes and Noble. (Convenient of them to put a store near my dealership, innit?) Where I spent the morning perusing literature and having more coffee, there's a Starbucks inside the store, nice. (No whinging about Starbucks coffee, yes it's expensive and many of you don't like the taste. Personally I do, kinda reminds me of how they drink coffee in Germany, strong and kinda burnt.)
I was home shortly after noon which was much better than I expected. So I did a lot of whinging all for naught. Sigh ...
But I did pick up two good books by James Holland on the campaign in Italy during World War II ...
![]() |
| Source |
"Hi, Amazon?"
So all in all, a pretty decent day.
Pssstt, don't tell The Missus Herself that I bought more books. Thanks ...


Local bakery sells chocolate chip cookies Sarge....good,,,,no very good.....no.....excellent! Books.....odd how they propagate eh?
ReplyDeleteAlmost as fast as gerbils!
Deletejuvat
Nylon12 - Cookies are good, books are less fattening.
Deletejuvat - I think gerbils do it cheaper.
DeleteAbout 1/2 way through Savage Storm, been working on it slowly. Not something that can be swallowed whole in a couple days. Well written/researched about a part of WW2 that is vastly unknown. Pretty good exposition of the problems created by not understanding/knowing the actions of other sides of a fight.
ReplyDelete.0
.
My knowledge of the Italian campaign is somewhat deficient, Mr. Holland should rectify that.
DeleteLet confess that Buccees' chocolate chip cookies are likewise addictive substances. (Un?)fortunately we do not see many Buccees along our charted courses, although some are under construction.
ReplyDeleteJB
One day, maybe, I'll see a Buc-ee's, then have the chance to evaluate for myself.
DeleteSourdough English Muffins with butter and honey. Or orange marmalade.
ReplyDeleteNever found seeds in peach or apricot jam.
One application to not try for English Muffins - hamburgers. They don't have the structure to handle the meat, onion, tomato, and lettuce.
Now I need to go to the store, thank you very much!
Depends a lot on the brand of English muffin, I've seen some that you could do a burger on. As for those made by the company known as Thomas', not much good for anything. Love their bagels, their muffins taste like cardboard.
DeleteBig fan Of Holland, haven't been disappointed yet.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite contemporary historians!
DeleteWe are well supplied with a snack basket at work and I could eat my bodyweight in sugar daily if I was not careful. I am trying to be.
ReplyDeleteConvenient of them to place a bookstore so near to where you had to spend some time. And yes, your purchases will remain among us friends...
Damned decent of them don't you think?
DeleteI have had plenty of strong coffee in Germany but none with the burnt flavor of Starbucks. I will have an expresso ever so often but I have stopped drinking coffee, tea, and soda's.
ReplyDeleteReminds me of, not exactly like ...
Delete