![]() |
| Screenshot |
Google is a fairly faceless conglomerate, I mean, you can look up (I almost said "Google") who the boss is and it'll show you the guy. The guys who founded Google are also known. But these chaps aren't really "known" like Jeff Bezos, or say, Elon Musk. Or that Zuckerman fellow, ya know, the Facebook guy.
The Naviguesser once interviewed at Google HQ out in California. He was impressed with the facilities, the perks, and a number of other things (the salary was also nice he said), but from what he could see, they wanted you to work most of the time. The facilities were nice and the perks were nice so you would, as he saw it, spend most of your waking hours at work.
Google computer guys were expected to start innovating from Day One. And by innovate I think he meant "break things." Which they do, from time to time. It's not intentional, it just seems rather uncontrolled.
I did report the "can't comment" issue to Blogger, there's one of these things under the hood ...
![]() |
| Screenshot |
Normally when they break something, it gets fixed in a day or so. Sometimes it's something they did intentionally and regardless of how the user community likes it, if Google wants it, it stays.
Sigh, one gets used to change, sometimes it turns out to be okay, in the long run. But change simply for the sake of change?
We hates it Precious ...
I trust they'll fix the commenting bug. After all, what's the point of blogging if there is no back and forth in the comments? No point at all really.
So we wait and we hope.
Nasty tricksy programmers, we hates them Precious, yes we do.


That's a problem with many, most?, IT guys and companies, the constant need to Do Something! about issues, real or imagined. Odten just to say, "Lookit what I can make it do!" Nevermind that it makes it more difficult or impossible for Joe Sixpack to use whatever it is, and he will never use wha8the latest, greatest bells and whistles are.
ReplyDeleteI like my kerosene lanterns and buggy whips, thank you. I understand them and can use them.
Hey! It worked!
DeleteI wouldn't know, the company I worked for did software for the government. The government is terrible at deciding what they want.
DeleteBlogger was broken, they just didn't tell anyone.
DeleteI spent 6 years coding, the last 3, all I did was proofread what others had coded. I hated the job. The IT carrier field was corrupted by accountants and H1B visa holders. Those 3 years? Every line of code was written by an Indian H1B visa holder. This was in the 80's.
ReplyDeleteMost software organizations are poorly run.
DeleteBut Sarge......I thought YOU paid the Google bill............:)
ReplyDeleteCheck's in the mail, bro.
DeleteWell, I’m glad we’re functioning again, whatever the cause.
ReplyDeletejuvat
You can read this: https://support.google.com/blogger/thread/464986866/blocked-comments-roll-up-thread?hl=en.
DeleteUsers were discussing it with looked like zero comment from Blogger as to what happened.
But Blogger was definitely broken, it's fixed for now, until they break something else.
I write and maintain two sites under another name by which you've known me for a while.
ReplyDeleteI rent space (it ain't cheap, OTOH 'tain't expensive neither) from Networkwork Solutions; I find it far better than doing anything under the all-seeing eye.
Blogger has two benefits: it's free and I'm used to it.
DeleteSarge, I did find something late last night where Blogger/Google had (finally) responded to the issues, although almost 24 hours after it had occurred.
ReplyDeleteTo Charlie's point above, I am now thinking about other things. It is not so much that the issue happened; they do. What was concerning was the seeming non-response.
Have you ever had them respond? I haven't.
DeleteAh, I should have clarified Sarge. I saw this a general response, not particularly posted to me.
DeleteAh, gomennasai, I misunderstood.
DeleteCrusty Old TV Tech here. This issue has been intermittently hitting my attempted posts for 2 weeks now, not just here, but all Blogger-hosted sites. To quote an old space ops Jedi Master, "There are no problems in space ops we can't solve. Except IT problems!".
ReplyDeletePoorly supervised programmers are the rule, rather then the exception. Organizations will promote on how well someone codes, not how well someone manages. It's what I call the cycle of incompetence.
DeleteI think we are constantly being manipulated. The motivations of the manipulators is, to me, obscure.
ReplyDeleteAs if the enemy would be that organized.
DeleteT''was but a petty annoyance.
ReplyDeleteI tried once to comment yesterday got into a "publishing" quaigmire, and figured it was an operator problem on my end, or my #%^@! machine (which get effed up when I got a new laptop with Windows 11 on it which tried to synch my desktop machine to its new evil ways) was still acting up. But, then I saw Juvat's helpful not at the top mentioning it was a Blogger problem, so I felt better and went about my business.
Anyway, other than that, Juvat and Mrs. J. hope you had a nice anniversary!
JB
We had a very nice dinner at a local steakhouse. Meal was excellent as was the wine. Not crowded or loud. Pretty darn close to perfection.
Deletejuvat
I only have my construction experience to use for reference on incompetency. God help us if software coding is the same.
ReplyDeleteIt's worse at times. And yes, it's scary as hell!
Delete