![]() |
| OAFS Photo |
Oh, one more thing the storm brings: lots and lots of hype. The Naviguesser texted The Nuke and me from California late Friday night, worried from all the reports he'd seen in the media.
As far as I know Jim Cantore hasn't touched down in New England yet, though he might have for all I watch the lamestream media.
Weather on the telly and the internet is about one thing and one thing only, ratings. If they can get you to watch what they're getting all worked up about, more ad revenue for them.
I miss the days when they'd just give you a forecast and tell you what's actually going on. Instead they name storms now and hype them to high heaven.
Yes, weather can be nasty, but get a grip people, what will happen will happen. If nobody is evacuating the coast, then STFU. I've seen less hype with actual hurricanes. Perhaps because the Atlantic hasn't seen any of those this year, they media have to hype this nor'easter up. I dunno and I don't much care.
The arrow pointing to the blue dot above, yup, Chez Sarge is in the midst of all that as I write this. This is going to be a slow mover, might not clear out until Monday. I can't tell you how nice it is to be retired and not have to go out into that mess. I do feel for those who will have to go to work on Monday.
![]() |
| Source |
The bridges haven't been closed yet (which they will do if the wind speed gets high enough, especially for big, slab sided trucks) but I'll you, it can get sporty on the Mount Hope bridge (which was part of my daily commute for over 25 years). Here's video from five years ago ...
As long as the power stays up, I'll be happy. I've done that "Welcome to the 18th Century" crap in the past and I'd just as soon avoid that.
So we shall see.
Keep your powder dry (tough to do in this storm).
Hunkering down in New England, it's what we do at times.
Ciao!


They have to show how terrible the manpower cuts made by Big Orange have been, which is the reason for the current furor!!!
ReplyDeleteThis has been going on long before the current administration.
DeleteI am currently stranded on Hatteras Island. That storm was no joke here. The county finally last night declared an emergency. Hoping to be headed home by Wednesday. We shall see.
ReplyDeleteStorm was no joke here along the coast, further inland we saw a lot of rain and sustained winds in the 20s, some gusts into the 50s. Hatteras Island is one of the last places I'd want to be during a storm like this.
DeleteI would seriously love some rain over here in the UK. No signs in my part of the world of the promised autumn deluge yet. Anyhow, onto more serious matters. A 'major incident' has been declared at RAF Fairford which is a major base for USAF assetts including B1's B52's and everything else. It's early doors but apparantely three vans were stopped by police near the base and currently the scene is cordoned, bomb disposal units are on scene along with everything else and the investigation is in the hands of counter terrorism police. Initial reports say the police response was not planned i.e. the incident arose spontaneously either out of a member of the public calling 999 or a routine patrol coming across something. Time will tell, usual caveats apply, until its confirmed treat all updates with caution.
ReplyDeleteRetired
I saw an article in The Guardian regarding that incident, sounds very serious but I'm not surprised. Too many immigrants from certain places now pose a serious threat throughout Europe.
DeleteIt looks like you can use the rain. https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, we needed the rain, but in these quantities a lot of it just runs off into the storm drains and eventually to the sea. But I suppose it did help some.
DeleteSarge, I really think this is reflective of the general trend of catastrophism in our culture in general. Literally everything is unprecedented or a crisis. I have come to blame the fact that there is limited (if any) historical memory, things are very visually driven via social media, and feelings are far more important that facts.
ReplyDeleteBread and circuses is what it is. It's a concerted attempt to destroy Western Civilization, and it seems to be working in some parts of the world.
Delete