Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Weather and Other Things

The eye and surrounding clouds of 2018 Hurricane Florence
as seen from the International Space Station.
Public Domain
After one devastating storm (Helene) ripped into the South, another is inbound. I have a number of friends in the path of this one. Keeping channels open to Sky Six that everyone pulls through.

Beans? Keep your head down and your wits about you, let us know, when you can, how thee and thy Missus doth fare.


The Missus Herself returns from California this day. It's a redeye flight so I'll be picking her up around the time the not-so-early risers are reading this.

It's good that she's on her way home, I need her. She is my rock.


I have a new Primary Care medical type, she's not a doc but an NP, and so far I'm impressed.

"So you quit smoking in 2012?"

"Yes, I did."

"How long had you smoked prior to quitting?"

"Um, lemme think, oh yeah, thirty-five years." Honestly, it didn't seem that long.

"When was your last CT scan?"

I couldn't remember, perhaps a couple of years ago for the diverticulosis. 

"Well, I want to get a CT scan of your lungs, see what's going on in there."

"Okay."

So I did that, the phone call was, "There's nothing to really worry about, but I want another scan of your chest, and your heart in particular."

Not worrying, until a couple of days later when the office called again.

"You have a mild case of emphysema and your arteries look a bit not great. So we're putting you on this heart medication. Any problems with that?"

As I do wish to remain among the living, I said, "Sure, beats being dead I suppose."

The laugh on the other end was genuine, not a nervous sort of thing. So I don't feel too bad. Other than some of the side effects of the new medication, I'm fine. but my morale could use a boost.

All that makes me a little less creative than I'd like to be as well. I did start another chapter (note the use of the word "start") of The Revolution but couldn't sustain the effort. We shall return to that, hopefully soon (-ish).

Oh, and Tuesday was flu shot day. Once again, it feels like I've been kicked in the arm by a not very happy mule. This shall pass. I've had the flu, twice, don't care for a repeat. (Both occasions were in years when I forgot to get a flu shot. Haven't missed one since. Knock on wood.)

Those of you in Milton's path, stay safe. We're praying for you.

Be seeing you.



1 comment:

  1. Well, not too bad healthwise considering the length of time that smoking lasted Sarge.....:( Intend to get the flu shot tomorrow morning after my physical, been getting them for over two decades now. Since retiring only came down with the flu once during that time, not having face-to-face contact with the public five days a week might have something to do with that...... :)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.