Saturday, July 6, 2013

Flight Deck Ops, USS Enterprise, April 2012

Somewhere in the Med
(The jet is from VFA-211, the Fighting Checkmates)
This video was made when my son-in-law Big Time was embarked with the men and women of Carrier Air Wing One on board the Big E, the USS Enterprise (CVN-65).

Currently he's a Naval Aviator currently teaching nuggets the finer points of flying the F/A-18 Super Hornet out at Naval Air Station Lemoore, California. But back in 2o12 he was a Sierra Hotel fighter jock with VFA-136, the Knighthawks.

At approximately 2 minutes into the video there is a Knighthawk about to get shot off the boat. Great footage. Note how the jet kind of squats down as power is applied. For all I know that could be Big Time in the cockpit. I'll betcha if he reads this he can confirm that. We'll see.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My first thought on posting this video, "Buck's gonna like it, no cheesy music!"

      Delete
  2. Actually that 'squat' is when they go to full burner and the holdback fitting takes the load. The nose drops under the force of the burners. The bobble after launch is the nose trying to come up but being held by the the launch bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I got close for a landlubbing Air Force type. I mean I knew it involved power.

      But thanks for contributing to my voracious appetite for knowledge of things Naval!

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.