Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stuff...

F-4D Front Seat
The other day, in a comment, frequent visitor juvat (and honored member of the commentariat) mentioned:
I was still getting checked out in the jet and had an IP in the pit. He was checking me out on the night range and Dive Toss (you may remember that radar technology...
Dive Toss did ring a bell or two. I mentioned in my reply:
...same panel as the Master Arm/Safe switch. The various bombing modes were selected by a big rotary switch with that "NUCLEAR PUSH TO JETT" button in the middle...
That panel would be this - 

Look just above the left rudder pedal in the photo above.
Oh yes, I remember it well.

Sniff...

Made me a little homesick it did.

10 comments:

  1. That must be an early 70s cockhouse... It's got the 'Whistler' mounted to the right of the glarshield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! And I have a tale to make you shiver to hear it regarding that wee scope. But not today. Saving that one I am.

      Delete
    2. Hell, in the A-4s we LITERALLY mounted Whistler radar detectors folks bought...

      Delete
    3. Who knows, with the current gang of thieves and ne'er-do-wells in DC we may have to do that again.

      Delete
  2. Any shots of the RIO's office for us NFOs? By the way, I've been sans computer for over a week while it's being repaired, hence my nearly complete lack of pithy, witty or snarky commentary here on chez sarge. Using my droid smartphone is too much of a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking for those. Yes, at one point I went out to the web and started searching for Viking cockpits and all that. Lots of photos of where the stick actuators sit, the GIBs? Not so much. But the search continues (in an obviously desultory fashion as there has been no back seater pr0n, yet.)

      I hear you on the droid phone posting. It's tough to be pithy, witty or snarky on that there itty-bitty keyboard thingee. I've tried, it usually comes out as "j;ilwe; lijnub wuks?"

      Or something of that nature...

      Delete
  3. Jeebus. Mom certainly would NOT approve of those surroundings. I can just hear her: "Clean your room, Dammit!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there's at least one gauge missing as well. I wonder just where that jet was when they took the picture. Someone's barn?

      Delete
    2. Hangar queen probably... For the Navy, that would be a NEW bird!!! :-)

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.