Thursday, July 18, 2013

Resolved...


Many of us recognize this blog header. For many of us, it is bittersweet.


But as the number of page views on my blog has climbed to what I consider embarrassing levels, (I mean I'm now averaging 300+ a day) I have taken it upon myself to attempt to improve at my (alleged) craft.

I've been spending a lot of time over at the Mothership and re-reading Lex's old posts. The man was one helluva good writer and an astute observer of the human condition.


I started at the beginning and am making my way through the early stuff, which is every bit as good as his later stuff. I mean damn, I really miss him.

He's the reason I started this blog and I want it to be something people will enjoy. No heavy duty politics (though I'll whine about DC from time to time), no punditry (I'm not much good at that). But I strive to entertain and maybe throw a little history at you from time to time.

But above all, I strive to keep it light. There are others who do the heavy thinking a lot better. I leave that to them.

But for now, I reminisce. I study the master to somehow be worthy.

But his posts are so entertaining as well. I mean how can you not come away with a smile (and a shudder or two) after reading The Unbearable Lightness of Paddles?

You left us too early brother. But thank God we had the chance to know you.

12 comments:

  1. I like it here even with all the big words and foreign languages.So keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, he was a HELLVA good guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was amazed at how prolific he was, posting multiple items every day, and every one of them thought-provoking, humorous, or otherwise very interesting. I've never read a blog that is as good as his was. Miss is still, not as much as in the past, but yours has wonderfully filled the void that Lex left in my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what really got me. Looking at Lex's archives and just seeing the sheer number of posts he'd put up in some months. And like you said, all of them interesting, etc. I don't think we'll ever see a blog as good as that again, some might come close, nah, not even that. Lex was one of a kind. I'm just glad we had him when we did.

      And thanks a lot for that last bit. Got me blushing it did.

      Delete
  4. Lex was, indeed, the master... but I can't go back to the Mothership just yet, the pain is still very raw. His legacy lives, however, in your blog and at least half a dozen others.

    I miss that guy, terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a time my Lex-fix was satisfied over at "The Place for Us All". When we stopped doing the Daily Lex, it was cold turkey at first. But I think Snake Eater said it, maybe some others too. But it was time to "let go". Scary has a weekly Lex post he puts up, and he's picked some good ones. Motivated me to head on back to the Mothership. I'm glad I did. There's times when it's painful as Hell, knowing what we've lost, knowing even more what Lex's family has lost, but there's still a whole lot of wisdom and humor over there. I miss him, but with his writings, his example, he'll never really be gone. At least not to me.

      And he's still the inspiration for this blog. So it's like I need to go there and recharge from time to time.

      Delete
  5. You've all said it all...Lex was simply amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of Lex's most amazing legacies is this group of Lexican's, most of whom never met Lex personally, and most of whom have never met each other. Through a quirk of fate, Whisper (Perry Solomon) is from Tybee Island, GA. I live in Savannah, and I have had the great pleasure of meeting Perry, his Commanding Officer at the time, and two other members of his squadron. Perry and his compatriots all exemplify the same qualities that we admire in our vicarious relationship with Lex.

    We are all incredibly fortunate to have gotten to know Lex through his blog, each other, and other members of this unique community.

    Bill Sprague
    Savannah, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't be more right Bill. I feel luckier than most as my youngest and her husband are part of that unique community. So I get to see it first hand when I visit them.

      And yes, they're both going to Tailhook 2013 in September. I'm expecting some good stories. You might even see them here.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.