Monday, July 15, 2013

Those Bastards...






Yes, after getting a required "upgrade" to my company leased laptop, and spending all of last week reconfiguring and reloading all of the software necessary to do my bit for "national security", I finally had all systems restored and running last Friday.

As hinted above, I like to unwind at lunch time with a post to this here blog. Usually occupies no more than 30 minutes of my time. And as it's lunch, it is my time!

So imagine my chagrin and then righteous indignation to discover today that somehow IT had managed to disable my access to Google Chrome, a most enlightened browser. As opposed to our IT Department's browser of choice, Internet Explorer (IE).

Now I used to like IE, then somehow it got tied to Bing, which sucks by the way, and my inclination to use IE ended. Also, if you must know, our IT Department delivers all of our "new" computers with a version of IE which was current in the modern world shortly after Caesar bridged the Rhine during the Gallic War of 53 BC.

Yes, the version of Internet Explorer we are forced to use at work is what I call, excuse the technical terminology, a flaming, useless, cheap piece of crap. Not to put too fine a point on it.

That, dear readers, is why you have been sans new posts until now.

No cool aircraft pictures...

None of my quirky views of modern society...

No awesome in cockpit videos (with or without cheesy music)...


In short, thee have been deprived!

Or not.

Hhhmm, definitely a case of YMMV.

Oh, and did I mention that Monday's suck?


No?

Okay.

Monday's suck.

That is all...

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. With Windows 7, IT is able to govern every aspect of our miserable existence in the Software Department of my employer. Even though in many (if not most) cases we know what we're doing better than they.

      So it's not Windows 7 per se, it's Windows 7 in the hands of the unenlightened dweebs we have in IT.

      Simply put, they love it, we hate it. Maybe it's a Hatfield and McCoys thing.

      Put I really prefer Windows XP.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and F-15s please! Light Gray preferred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copy the F-15, light gray, one each (or more).

      As I recall you became an Eagle driver after your Phantom days.

      Were you ever at Kadena?

      Former 18th TFW guys want to know...

      Delete
    2. Yep, 12th 87-90.

      Just to be forthcoming, I'm one of those IT bastards now (in a K-12 School District). It's a fine line we walk between letting people do their job and keeping them from screwing up the whole damn thing. And trust me, in our district, there's a whole bunch of people doing their damndest to try the latter, some of them are even kids.

      Delete
    3. Ah, you're an IT guy for a school district. You're the professional making sure that the non-technical folks don't kludge up the system. I get that.

      Must be a Hatfields and McCoys kind of thing in an engineering company. (And the EEs and MEs look down on all of us computer types. With good reason I might add.)

      And it is with sadness I note that the 12th was inactivated back in 2007 and had been moved to Elmendorf from Kadena before that. Damn! I must have been in a different Air Force. Seems so long ago.

      Delete
    4. You got the different Air Force part right, that's for sure. And not for the better, IMHO.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, it's been Monday ALL @@!$%^ day... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mondays? They're not any worse (or better, for that matter) than any other day o' the week. These days. ;-)

    I'm a Win7 Firefox 22.0 kinda guy. I've used IE and Chrome but I always come back to FF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You retired guys and Mondays...

      Oh how I long to be there.

      Firefox? I may need to check that out.

      Delete
  5. It's a well known fact that IE didn't spring into existence before 51 BC. Caesar and his crew were using Mosaic and that was crap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, recent excavations at the site of one of the Rhine crossings did discover copies of Mosaic as used by the Legions. I need to update my sources...

      Heh.

      Delete
  6. The one great thing about being (semi) unemployed is that I no longer have to worry about anyone in a position of power (that is, able to cut off my paychecks) stumbling into my office while I'm blogging and having to somehow justify it to him (which was impossible, even though I always got all work done and the blogging never interfered with that accomplishing of my duties.)

    Now that I'm (semi) unemployed, of course, I don't blog as often as I used to and I also don't visit other blogs as much as I once did. Forbidden fruit, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some guys read the paper while eating lunch. I blogged. Now that has been taken from me. I am sad.

      I also have to do more blogging at night, which my wife loves. Not.

      Delete

Just be polite... that's all I ask. (For Buck)
Can't be nice, go somewhere else...

NOTE: Comments on posts over 5 days old go into moderation, automatically.